Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Does anyone have a clue what this dream means?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:18 am 

Hi everyone! I have a question about a dream: I have had this dream a couple of times where I escape from something and I'm running like there's no tomorrow, then all of a sudden I "fall" on four legs and turn into a wolf and continue running. These dream are always very short and I never know what or where I'm escaping from. The weird thing is that the dream is not exactly the same every time, the dream in itself changes the part where I turn into a wolf is the only repetitive element.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:10 pm 

I think your avoiding something, not consciously and it's something you would never realize that your truly running from. You have to confront it face to face, whatever it is.

Post subject: Re: Does anyone have a clue what this dream means?
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:09 am 

Anna-Mari wrote:
Hi everyone! I have a question about a dream: I have had this dream a couple of times where I escape from something and I'm running like there's no tomorrow, then all of a sudden I "fall" on four legs and turn into a wolf and continue running. These dream are always very short and I never know what or where I'm escaping from. The weird thing is that the dream is not exactly the same every time, the dream in itself changes the part where I turn into a wolf is the only repetitive element.

Escape suggests avoiding a fearful situation, not facing whatever is confronting you whether that be a situation at work or an issue which is less tangible. Escape usually means that we don't feel strong enough to face or deal with something (thats ok, its not a condemnation, merely an observation).

Running suggests speed, movement or taking an active part in the process. As you are, you run but this is not enough and you fall.

Fall or stumble suggests unsure footing, not being balanced and again, feelings of not being in control.

Transformation is usually just that, a remarkable change, something so clearly defined that it cannot be mistaken. A shift from one way of being to another.

Wolf - This would rather depend on your feelings about Wolves and how you know them? Are you brought up in a country where wolves are still in the wild or do you have direct contact with Wolves, for example, by working in a zoo, as a park ranger, as a farmer etc? The Wolf is one of those animals who can choose to live on the margins of our society, working together with humans (hence domesticated dogs) acting as guardians and hunters. Humans often fear Wolves but they are also animals which inspire us with their resourcfullness and ability to cover hundreds of miles at speed following their prey. They are secretive yet communal. The pack hierachy is foremost and they live as large extended families, caring for oneanother and putting the Alpha pair (and their pups) first. This is similar to human communities and organisation.

Perhaps the Wolf is this communal, family/team side of things. How you deal with or don't deal with the community aspect of your life??

Wolf could also be a power animal wishing to work with you, offering the type of strength you need right now to help you keep up and face the issues in your life.

If this were my dream, I would be asking myself, what part of my family life or relationships with others am I avoiding? Why do I not feel capable or strong enough to face these things? Can Wolf energy, Wolf power help me to understand myself better and when I start to look deeply at BOTH the similarities and differences between how I am and how Wolf is - what does that tell me about how I need to transform myself?

I hope this helps.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:09 am 

Hi Anna-Mari!

What an interesting and potentially very helpful dream!

I agree with your other responders that it is mirroring something that you are "running away from" consciously facing up to. Probably something on both the outer [situational] and inner [psyche] level.

The wolf may symbolise an unconscious archetypal energy pattern [power animal] that you are drawing on as a means of escaping from facing up to a great nameless fear of yours. When you identify and face up to this fear you will probably find that it is nowhere near as scary as your past conditioning/experience leads you to believe!

A useful next step would be to do a "dream re-entry" [you can adapt shamanic journeying for this purpose] in which you can turn and face your unseen pursuer. You can also ask the wolf what part of you, he/she represents.

If you need further help I can be contacted via this webpage:
www.sunflower-health.com/forms/enquiry.htm

Walk in Beauty!

Mike

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:01 pm 

Hi! The advantage of practicing shamanism as opposed to interpreting dream symbols is that you can journey to your allies and ask them. In fact you can journey directly to wolf and ask. Do you journey? Dennis

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:27 pm 

Bearsky wrote:
Hi! The advantage of practicing shamanism as opposed to interpreting dream symbols is that you can journey to your allies and ask them. In fact you can journey directly to wolf and ask. Do you journey? Dennis

Practicing shamanism does both no?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:59 pm 

Hi! In shamanism the shaman usually journeys to discover the meaning of the dream. The problem is that elements in dreams can be straightforward or they can be symbols which unlike signs are not tied to specific meanings. Shamans, unlike new age dream analysis books, have direct acess to the wolf and/or to their own allies in non-ordinary reality (Nor) and thus can frequently give less ambiguous answers. Respectfully Dennis

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:57 am 

Bearsky wrote:
Hi! In shamanism the shaman usually journeys to discover the meaning of the dream. The problem is that elements in dreams can be straightforward or they can be symbols which unlike signs are not tied to specific meanings. Shamans, unlike new age dream analysis books, have direct acess to the wolf and/or to their own allies in non-ordinary reality (Nor) and thus can frequently give less ambiguous answers. Respectfully Dennis

Hi Dennis

Certainly thats not been my experience. All the indigenous power people I have worked with or learned from use divination, omens, historic knowledge of symbols, and their intuition before using trance work to divine the meaning of a dream, in fact in many 1st nation cultures, dreams are told to the rest of the family at breakfast or to Grandfather Fire (Huichol) and certain symbols are readily known and understood due to cultural and historic references. Power people 'see' or have the 'knowing' of things like this by either a natural psychic ability or years of developing such intuitive skills but those I have met, rarely go into trance for dream interpretations unless the dream is deemed very important.

Its worth remembering that 'journeying' is not always safe but it seems to be the 'stock in trade' of the western shamanic teachers who offer weekend workshops on such things. However, that said, someone who has already learned to journey safely, already has contact with a spirit guide or teacher and who feels that they can do this would be able to re-enter the dream or journey to a guide to ask for help. In this case, however, the thread starter did not ask that but asked what the dream may mean, this suggests a) a request for help with the symbolism and b) a lack of experience with answering such questions via shamanic journeying or similar means.

Contacting Chonobaatar, (sister of Sarangarel, the Mongolian shaman author of 'Riding Windhorses etc who passed away a few years ago now) at tengerism.org - she should be able to verify how Mongolian shamans work assisting in dream interpretation.

Or Bhola Nath Banstola a Nepalese Jankhri Shaman via
http://www.nepaleseshaman.com or on bholamimi@hotmail.com who will confirm their practice also.

I do agree about the dream analysis books though, they can be very distracting and often very wrong. I have found that dreams often have many layers of meaning, the obvious, the less so, the teachings, the offers and warnings, promptings and fears. Much to mull over so rarely is one single interpretation completely true but many facets are true at the same time, rather like the facets of a jewel.

For example, in the first post, the dreamer is running from something which suggests fear, however this fear may be both a real fear and the attempts at overcoming of or showing how to overcome the same fear at the same time! Only the dreamer will know how the dream felt and until we have any feedback, none of us will know. Perhaps we never will??? What Anna Marie may really be asking by posting such a dream here on a shamanism site is whether she is being prompted to follow a shamanic path? Only she has the answer to that and it would be remiss of me or anyone else to say yes or no either way since many may be called but not all make it.

I still like to offer help when it is asked though.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:20 pm 

Good show! Nice response! Dennis

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:01 am 

Ultimately only the dreamer can decide the significance of a dream, however other people - and dream symbol reference books such as my favourite...

"The Element Encyclopedia of 20,000 Dreams" can make helpful suggestions.

Here is my own radical suggestion about this dream:

Maybe the threat which cannot be faced up to is an aspect of the dreamer's everyday life and/or everyday self, and shamanism [symbolised by the wolf] is being used as a means of escape. If this is true, it would be the not uncommon phenomenon of "spiritual dependency" where we are excessively [ungroundedly] drawn to spiritual practices and beliefs in order to avoid facing up to practical everyday [e.g. relationship or material security/success] uncomfortable realities and issues.

Sometimes we expect the spirit world to fix, or compensate for, earthly limitations or difficulties, when in fact we may need to learn new practical [e.g. communication or relationship?] skills, or simply grow and develop more mature adult patterns and perspectives than we might currently be living by.

By the way, the above reference book offers the following possibilities for the dream symbol of a wolf...

"The dreamer may feel threatened by other people, or may be vulnerable in some situation. The wolf, as suggested by fairy stories like "Little Red Riding Hood" can also represent the female fear of powerful male sexuality, and yet may also figure in female sexual fantasies. Wolves are also symbols of repressed sexuality or anger. Idioms: "Wolf at the door", "Wolf in sheep's clothing, "Cry Wolf", "Throw to the wolves", "A wolf" [man who lusts after women and pursues them like a predator]."

In my experience, dream symbols can often hold meaning on more than one level simultaneously [the remarkable creative power of the unconscious dreaming mind!] and I wonder if that is what is happening in this case?

Walk in Beauty! [the beauty of wholeness?]

Mike

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:31 pm 

Hmmm.... When a person is having trouble in relationship or in family or community around and finds sanctuary in spiritual practises helping to forget anger and frustration. It may lead into habitual, rutinous practise of forgetness.

It is said that meditation is one of the most dangerous practises that exist, because person's mental patternes are very open and afflicted by used intention (and subconsciousness too).

So, there may also be a strong focus on deniel, inability to confront own frustration or anger.

Spiritual dependency is as hard to cure as any dependency, gambling, alcoholism or so, because it helps person to forget all awful things, own insecurity, own woundedness.

...just to give a warning about that dependancy - NOT GOOD. Nothing to add about that dream thou, very good responses.

So I would make questions about that dependancy to considere:
- Do you play with Tarot or other tools of divinations very often, without any real thing to ask?
-If you ask quidance from spirits do you fulfill the orders or just play around and do nothing, expesially if you do not like the orders?
-Do you play with healing tools (reiki, crystals, drum...), even you do not have a patient or any problem to heal?
-What is your reason for meditation, if you do it? (spend time, calm nerves, relax, perceive your thoughts and emotions, perceive your energysystems, invoke godly aspects...?)

I have this red flashlight coming, when spiritual dependency is spoken aloud.
But if you find yourself doing much without aim. I would ask you to ask yourself where you stand. :idea:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:06 pm 

Hi Jusma

Sometimes when meditation and journeying are taught, only the positive potential is emphasized. Important as the benefits are, the pitfalls can also become very real as you point out - these powerful processes can be like "opening the lid of pandora's box" if, in the past, a lot of dis-owned feelings or unskilful living has accumulated a lot of dark or destructive energies in the subconscious or unconscious mind.

Even if we are "just a bit stressed or depressed" this can lead to unfortunate misinterpretations of journey images [power animals] or spirit helper guidance.

I have a webpage of "Health & Safety" advice for people who are beginning, or still in the early stages of, journeying experiences:
www.lovehealth.org/tools/journeying.htm

Walk [safely!] in Beauty!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:13 am 

The dream is very simple to interpret. Anna-Mari is not trying to escape or avoid anything, these are psychology interpretations of her dream not shamanism. Anna-Mari`s spirit helper the wolf is obviously coming to help her from any bad dream situation.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:19 am 

barry wrote:
The dream is very simple to interpret. Anna-Mari is not trying to escape or avoid anything, these are psychology interpretations of her dream not shamanism. Anna-Mari`s spirit helper the wolf is obviously coming to help her from any bad dream situation.

May I ask what 'any bad dream situation' then means from a 'shamanic' point of view?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:45 am 

While reading this I had a vision or a glimps for what it may be worth,a child sitting in an empty room playing with matches while several adults look on from a distance,noone stops the child from this play,many offer caution and advice but none intervene,the child strikes match after match letting them burn down to the fingers,I ask the adults why someone doesnt stop the child and they respond that the child wont learn from being told alone he or she needs to experience the negative to actually learn from the experience,I ask but what are the matches for,the adults respond by saying while some are born with power and need no instruction some are not and need a book. :shock:

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism