Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Dietary problems
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:17 am 

I am finding that the more I follow the spirit the more I find myself running into issues at the dinner table,I'm having trouble eating,mainly Meat,I dont have a problem blessing and thanking my vegetables because their fresh and havent been prepared yet or prepared without respect,but meat,well,I love to eat meat ,I dont have a problem with myselfe as a carnivore/omnivore or whatever and it isnt feasable for me to raise my own as I live in the city,I spend a lot of time at meals apologizing for the life taken without respect and thanking them for the life given to me to live,I dont consider it a waste of time but so much of our modern processed meats have so much terror atatched to them its hard to enjoy a meal and be thankful for every bite,I think I will have to buy a deep freeze and start hunting again in winter and cut down on the animal protein in hot months,now that the question has been asked I am sure that Spirit will answer shortly,It would be a big change to my life to have to stop eating meat,it seems I have taken it for granted a long time,there must be a Balance,a way for the Wolf and the Dog.

Post subject: Re: Dietary problems
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:29 am 

It is wonderful that you honor your food with such mindfulness, Tony. I feel the same, but at least here in the US, plant life isn't handled with any more respect--at a massive consumption level--that meat is. We do awful things to the land to gain our plant-based food. I think of that so often about everything I eat.

I think that we are aware matters and makes a big difference. And as we are able we will get off that sauce, so to speak. Thank you for mentinoing this.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:36 am 

Why can't we farm mushrooms and quinoa instead? :?

I would say do whatever inner work you can to help society wake up to this and move us out of a position of dependence on reckless agribusinesses.

Mushrooms ARE quite tasty... Mmm...

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:19 pm 

We have this problem in Hong Kong too...

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:16 am 

I heard an old medicine man say. Look at the animals that are prey. They have their eyes on the sides or somewhat on the sides. Look at a carnivore their eyes face forward. Look around and your family and you will know what to eat....lol

Actually I do understand about a life taken without honor. In the bigger scheme of things it is a choice already made before stepping into our robes (bodies)

Honoring and blessing the food puts the life force back into it so it is not just "dead"

You can also do thanks to the animal nation. Someday you too will become part of the "circle of life" as the Lion King movie puts it.

It can be easy to feel guilty about taking a life but to be honest we are born of physical grow and then give back. The grass does not feel bad for reusing the water of your body or the minerals and neither does the animal that eats the grass. Feeling bad for being part of the same cycle adds a bad flavor to your "meat" Hopefully someone will have to bless and honor your passing as well. Or maybe just understand and accept that we are all a part of the same bigger picture.

Hope this helps!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:36 pm 

Traveler1400 wrote:
I heard an old medicine man say. Look at the animals that are prey. They have their eyes on the sides or somewhat on the sides. Look at a carnivore their eyes face forward. Look around and your family and you will know what to eat....lol

Actually I do understand about a life taken without honor. In the bigger scheme of things it is a choice already made before stepping into our robes (bodies)

Honoring and blessing the food puts the life force back into it so it is not just "dead"

You can also do thanks to the animal nation. Someday you too will become part of the "circle of life" as the Lion King movie puts it.

It can be easy to feel guilty about taking a life but to be honest we are born of physical grow and then give back. The grass does not feel bad for reusing the water of your body or the minerals and neither does the animal that eats the grass. Feeling bad for being part of the same cycle adds a bad flavor to your "meat" Hopefully someone will have to bless and honor your passing as well. Or maybe just understand and accept that we are all a part of the same bigger picture.

Hope this helps!

I think whats missed here and in the original post is the difference between feeling the suffering of a life taken, and the taking of a life in a manner that is a spiritual crime. I too face this dilemma and have answered it in my own way that is not very PC even in these communities, but it allows the spirits to be cherished, and for me to nourish myself and my kids with local organic seasonal fare. It's not about appeasing our spiritual conscience, but the effect we have in The-Spirit-that-moves-through-all-things.

~Owl

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism