Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Deathwalkers - need help/information
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:07 pm 

Let me try to explain this in a cogent way. When I was a child I contacted the spirit of a dead person and practiced some pretty naive techniques. I was visited every night by entities although I could never see them, and at the time I felt I was being watched by aliens. Years later when I returned to the spiritual path and became a shamanic practitioner almost all of my journeys involved death and my main power animal is the vulture. This was after a long history of neurotic problems began to dissipate and I beat depression and some other issues. So this led me, and not on my own accord, to hundreds of journeys involving the spirit of death, and spontaneous meetings with ghosts, some of whom are not human. I have become convinced over the past few years that this the path that I need to walk.

I really need information about these things from a shamanic perspective. I have been hanging around talking to a lot of necromancers, and while I am versed in the western occult and I do understand what these people are talking about, our belief systems are different enough that I am becoming confused and doubtful. This is not good. I am not yet at an advanced level so I do not identify as a shaman yet. If anyone has any comments that would be helpful.

Post subject: Re: Deathwalkers - need help/information
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:46 pm 

What is it that you seek to know? I am willing to provide a shamanic perspective for you.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:49 pm 

To be a deathwalker, or psychopomp, is to work with those persons whose soul has become "lost" or "confused" proceeding the death of the person in a traumatic way. It is the duty of the shaman to assist the soul to cross over into the Light.

A traumatic death is considered to be a sudden and totally unexpected event. Many shaman are called to this work. Your guides and power animal will assist you if this is your path.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:25 pm 

I was wondering if any book out there would be helpful, I'm considering that the answer would be no. The biggest problem I have had is that if I do find a lost and confused soul I'm not sure what to do. This has happened a handful of times, on one occasion I was pretty much unable to do anything. I don't want to play around with the dead for no reason and without the tools that I need, but on many journeys these meetings will happen anyway.

Recently I journeyed to the upper world to see what I could figure out. I met with several spirits including a couple of different master shaman who I occasionally contact. Each passed me off to the spirit of death itself, and this has been a pattern during journeys where no matter what I intend to do I almost always end up meeting with death. Basically what happened is that the spirit of death in his way told me to go down to the lower world and work harder with animal spirits, so perhaps I'm just not ready to be a psycho pomp yet. I have also undergone a dismemberment directly with the spirit of death there and not with power animals, which seems different than what most people have said, but my path is not very traditional and the spirits know this.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:25 pm 

books are helpful, but are mainly the opinion and experiences of the writer. You are better following the path your guides tell you to follow. And, you will learn from other deathwalkers, as well.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:08 pm 

before i give my opinion id first like to know what you mean by deathwalkers, i've heard the term before but i dont think your meaning that.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:44 pm 

There is a book by Kristin Madden called Magick, Mystery & Medicine that has a 25 page chapter on deathwalking. Kristin Madden also has a book called The Shamanic Guide to Death & Dying. I have been working with the dead & dying since I was a child. Definitely the majority of my education in this has come from the spirit world & from the experiences themselves.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:58 pm 

Here is an article I just found on deathwalking:
http://www.shamanscave.com/articles/contemporary_shamanism/deathwalkers

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:19 am 

ah so the topic creator means Psychopomps, i thought that was their meaning but i've never actually heard that term "deathwalkers" used to describe that before.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:43 am 

I had never heard the term deathwalker before Kristin Madden's books either. Hopefully Blackanimism will chime in soon with a response.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:32 pm 

Well maybe I should have used the word psychopomp instead but words are words. I was kind of concerned that Madden's books would be fluffy but I'll check one of them out and decide for myself.

I was wondering if anyone might if they are willing describe how they personally do this. I know there are many ways to do it and I know the spirits will teach me. I just want to approach this carefully. If there are any other sources on psychopomps that might be good? I'm willing to take things in with a grain of salt I never follow any book to the t.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:34 pm 

I am willing :)

You can work alone with your guides, but sometimes it's best with another shaman, especially if healing work needs to be done for the soul when encountering the dead, or if there are many.

There are several ways to do this work. Usually, you journey to the upper worlds to see if and where the soul is "stuck." The upper world has 5 realms: stone, plant, animal, human (which also includes whales and dolphins), and Ancient Ones. Sometimes, the soul is stuck in one of the first 3 realms, and will need healing or death rites before being carried to the Light of the upper 2 realms. And many times, an Ancient One will come to receive the lost soul.

Another way is to journey to the place where there has been mass trauma, such as an earthquake area. There, many souls will be confused and will need guidance to the Light. You can perform the death rites for them, and Ancient Ones will come to help carry them into the Light.

This is quite necessary and beautiful work.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:58 pm 

blackanimism wrote:
I was wondering if anyone might if they are willing describe how they personally do this. I know there are many ways to do it and I know the spirits will teach me. I just want to approach this carefully. If there are any other sources on psychopomps that might be good? I'm willing to take things in with a grain of salt I never follow any book to the t.

Ecstatic Trance and Where the Spirits Ride the Wind both books from Felicitas D. Goodman, in both books several postures are used as Psychopomp. imo is one of the best sources you can find for modern view of shamanistic trance and journey.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:47 pm 

Hmmm never read much from Shamans Cave since I could never join as they turned off the ability for others to join.

I tend to not bother so much with communities that lock down and choose to keep put new folks, just me I guess!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:47 pm 

My technique is similar to Rachara El.
It is a combined style of core shamanic, personal spiritual techniques & what the spirits teach me.
How I first learned to psychopomp was 20 years ago I spontaneously traveled out of my body & helped my grandmother to cross over. I had no real idea what I was doing, but my spirit did! She was on so many medications that she was confused & would have been "stuck" here. This is what my helping spirit at the time said. So I spirit-traveled to where she was, and helped guide her to the upper world safely & gently.
My father called the next morning to tell me that she had died. I told him that I knew, and relayed my experience. He didn't know what to make of that, lol!
It would be another 5 years after this experience before I would begin to be "formally" trained by other humans in these techniques. The spirits have been training me since childhood.
I have worked with the dying & the dead, and have trained in spiritual hospice also. I have also trained as, and am gifted with, psychic mediumship abilities. This work with the realm of the dead & dying is very precious to me.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism