Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Re: Deathwalkers - need help/information
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:59 pm 

I'm definitely going to check out one of Goodman's books they sound good. The idea that posture could help this hadn't occurred to me so much, I should look into that. I'll probably read the shamanic guide to death and dying as well at some point.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:53 am 

blackanimism wrote:
I'm definitely going to check out one of Goodman's books they sound good. The idea that posture could help this hadn't occurred to me so much, I should look into that. I'll probably read the shamanic guide to death and dying as well at some point.

the postures are used as doorways to places in the "other" realm, i only use a few of them on a regular basis; one being animal shapeshifting, the other being plant shapeshifting, and the last being a type of posture that helps with scryinig but they work very well as long as your comfortable with going into a trance. everything in shamanism like practices are done through trance.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:45 pm 

I'm sure I won't use them all either but it sounds like a good read that's on my list. I'm going to journey tomorrow in the woods in Maine, some family members aren't doing too well. I'm going to ask the spirits that I work with if I should act as a psychopomp or not. Like I said I have done this before, I was just concerned about my ability and all of that.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:03 am 

If you look up the word psychopomp you will find that it is used to refer to any being who guides the spirits of the deceased on their path through and to the afterlife. In Egypt this was Anubis (to name only one). In the Western Mythos, this is the Ferryman (Charon from Greek Myths).

The Egyptian Book "Going About by Day" (more commonly known as "The Egyptian Book of the Dead") is something of an Egyptian primer on the subject. There is also the Tibetan Book of the Dead (with origins that are dubious and suspect).

Despite the rising interest in Shamanism, this particular aspect is not as popular as the role of healer and so we see relatively fewer books on the subject.

Necromancy is the blending of eastern esoteric belief and philosophy with Western doctrines. Originally it was used to refer to people who sought to interrogate the dead for hidden knowledge and wisdom. Today, it refers to anyone working with the ancestors in a more ritualized way. Necromancy, in its original form, was solely used for personal gain and advancement. While that may not be the case with the modern practices, it still employs methods of force and traps which encourages seeing souls and spirits as lesser to humans.

I wish you well on your travels and am glad to see someone else with an interest in this path.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:01 am 

I can tell that there are some necromancers who are not using force, although the majority are. In fact if you want my opinion the majority of necromancers are just playing around, but there are some very serious people in every tradition. You could say the same thing about shamanism of course. I have found little scholarly information about this, and because christianity has wiped out indigenous western european practices I'm going to have to do it myself.

The being who I describe as death is somewhat like charon or ankou, as I have said before, I'm white and I'm staying rooted in western styles. The spirits seem intent on keeping me western.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:58 pm 

Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest that force or traps are the only way in which necromancy is practiced -- or even that all practitioners use those specific techniques -- only that the system does employ such methods. It is just one sign of the philosophical differences in the ways necromancy and shamanism approach dealing with the spirits of the ancestors, in a general way. I apologize for the miscommunication.

--- Also, my use of the westernized version of Ankou's name should suggest I'm not following that specific tradition either. In fact, I find the traditional information a bit... well off. In a system of practice with such personal and intimate interaction through vision and dreams, I have found them a good source point for beginning my quest to understand, but soon find myself learning them behind. It's kind of like using Wiki to start your research and find the sources you need. But, that's just me. It may be different for others.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:38 am 

Actually I agree, often I will journey and then type what happened into google and find something, like doing research in reverse. I am a proponent of simplifying and personalizing practice and that includes in the area of death, necromancy, psychopomp work, and also any shamanic practice in general. I'm a postmodern man I'm sure many would disagree with certain views I hold but to me it doesn't matter if someone agrees or not.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism