Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Core Shamanism
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:42 am 

Does anyone have any experience with this form of shamanism??? I have been reading the book, Shamanism: As a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life by: Tom Cowan. it's a really good book with a lot of interesting ideas and information. I'm still at chapter 2 working with power animals. It's only been a couple days since i've started meditating on finding my power animal and it's been getting easier since i've started using a shaker. It's a good tool to focus your mind.

Peace,
Steven

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:24 pm 

In my experience, shamanism is very similar across the world. I was introduced to shamanism by someone who trained with Michael Harner. I have taken the "Way of the Shaman" workshop which was done through the Foundation for Shamanic Studies which was founded by Michael Harner.

I haven't read the book you are reading but I will go out on a limb and say it's probably not that much different. When you are done with it, if you can and have the inclination, pick up the book "Way of the Shaman" by Michael Harner and you can compare the two :)

When I journey I use headphones and a CD with drumming explicitly for Shamanic Journeying. I still find it easier to journey when I attend the local shamanic circle than on my own. I'm still a beginner myself as well and sometimes I have trouble seeing in non-ordinary reality. This is something I have been told by others and by my power animal that it will get easier and better with more and more practice.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:46 pm 

I just came across something with a lot of potential for improving meditation. It's called the Mindfold Relaxation Mask. It allows you to keep your eyes open with complete darkness. There's a foam pad that fits comfortably around your eyes. I tried it today for the first time and found my third eye much faster than usual. a little bit into it i forgot whether my eyes were open or not and i snapped out of it for a second. it seems like that helps to focus and silence your mind somehow.

I also made a shaker for myself. it's made from a small gourd with glass beads and some aluminum foil inside of it. It makes the perfect sound for me and helped a lot in my practice.

I'll definetly check out that Michael Harner book when I'm done with mine. He seems to explain shamanism from a more traditional way. this book that i have tries to make the practice of shamanism more accessible for a modern lifestyle. i'm hoping i can incorporate a more natural lifestyle into my daily life though. i still will focus on the modern responsibilities that i have while never forgetting the natural roots that my mind and body come from.

peace,
steven

Post subject: Re: Core Shamanism
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:01 pm 

cechmangoal wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with this form of shamanism???

I do, though personally I see it as a spring board for one's own practise.

cechmangoal wrote:
I have been reading the book, Shamanism: As a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life by: Tom Cowan.

I've read that one. I agree that it is good, if rather simplistic (which isn't a bad thing in a beginner level text). You might try checking out Singing the Soul Back Home by Caitlin Matthews next :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:38 pm 

I started with a Harner core shamanism weekend class 20 years ago. Since then my practice has taken on many aspects not traditional taught in core shamanism seminars, at least not in the one's I'm familar with. Nonetheless I am deeply appreciative to the core shamanism folks for getting me started and for encouraging me along the way. Dennis

Post subject: core shamanism
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:12 pm 

Hail and Hello!!

New member here, my name is Kriket from Edmonton Alberta. I started practicing shamanism using core shamanic methods. I have sponsored workshops for the Foundation for Shamanic studies since 1999. I really like the formulaic approach to it, they have distilled it to such a simple formula anyone can understand it.

I have an open drumming circle that meets twice a month. The circle gets quite a few newcomers each time (between 3 - 5). Each one is sat down and given the five minute version of core shamanism and how to journey. Although everyone can understand it, not everyone can journey, at least not the first time out.

I have taken and sponsored some of the advanced workshops as well.

I think the concept and the teachings are very valuable. They are not related to a specific culture or tribe.

Kriket

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:33 pm 

My first contacts with CoreS was 1991 - quite some years ago. Well, the only two things I do think are a little problematic with CoreS:

First of all, there is a dogma taught there that no insects should be poweranimals. Well, I can enumerate several shamanists and shamans with exactly that: insects as poweranimals. Among them one with a yellow-jacket, one with a spider, an ant, a "Gottesanbeterin" (don't know the term in english) and so on.

Second, a more profound criticism: most people who attended workshops obviously do not walk their own path after that but trying to live up CoreS to its letters. Once, Paul Uccusic told me that Core Shamanism is nothing but a skeleton of techniques which needs flesh and cattilage and all that in order to be a living system. Well, not many practitioners really give life to their own shamanism.

One thing I cannot understand at all is that actually there are NO shamans in the FSS, but only "Shamanic pracitioners" - I do not understand that, even if I hear the argumentations. When someone does journeying, helping peoples with shamanic techniques and is really good at it and so on ... - then it is a shaman -fullstop-.

Yours,

Apu Kuntur, Vultureshaman.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:57 pm 

Apu Kuntur it would appear we started with the FSS around the same time. I can agree with what you are saying. I don't respect everything about them, but I can talk about what I do respect.

The FSS no longer teaches that insects cannot be PA. I think that is one of the parameters set that has come to be regretted.

I was able to attend the five day SR course and was very excited to meet peers. What stunned me was that there were very few (3 of us out of 52) who were active in our community. I am sure many of them had their own solitary practices, but I did not see much beyond that. When I asked the others who had circles I started asking them if they had done x,y,z... only to realize that not many seemed to want to go beyond the teachings. I love to jump with both feet and then look down to see what I might be landing on :wink: .

I understand the skeleton is all well and good, and I like my circle mates to at least have the fundamentals, however my journey is to take it as far as we possibly can. There are so many things to learn and even more things to try that I can't understand why one would not.

As far as calling ourselves shamans, I am not sure why that is. However, I do know that I have been around that debate many times over the years without a satisfying resolution.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:55 pm 

Oh, I have found the solution of the calling-yourself-shaman problem quite some years ago. As I analyze what I am doing actually I am calling myself "Condordancer and Spellsinger" - that are the two cornerstones of my work. The term "shaman" is clearly artificial and not native to german speaking countries at all. The old term "Seidhman" or "Sidhkona" simply are in old nordic and no one understands them anymore.

Yours,

Apu Kuntur

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:51 am 

Steven,

Core Shamanism is related to a set of working techniques. Lots of cultures have specific gods they pray to ordiffering methods.

Here is the goal.
1.Hit the trance state.
2. Gain info.
3. Use that info and effect a change.

How you get there is dependant upon you. Effecting a change is dependant upon your connection to source.

Trav

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:59 pm 

WOW....i have been out of the loop here for quite sometime apparently. the last time i checked these forums was back when they just started and there were only 8 or 9 members. i can't believe how much it has grown. i actually have not gotten much farther in shamanism than the last time i was here. around that time my family life became complicated and it's been like that since then. i have begun meditating fairly regularly again and want to start practicing core shamanism once more. my mind was clearer when i was first here and i have started to gain back that clarity.

OH...thanks for all of the information on core shamanism. i was surprised to see all the responses and was glad to see them so that i could improve my practice. once i am more focused and have been practicing for a while, i would love to participate more than i do now (which is close to nothing :(. until then...

peace,
steven

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:38 pm 

Hi Apu, just a contrarian fyi - I took my first workshop in 93 I think it was, the intro with Sandra Ingerman, and I remember quite clearly that she said insects can be power animals, and gave the example of having a bee as a power animal. She gave suggestions on how to distinguish between insect and reptile as power animal or intrusion. If insects appear in swarms, for example, or if reptiles show teeth, they are definitely intrusions, NOT power animals. I also remember in that workshop her explanation as to why the term "shamanic practitioner" is used rather than "shaman." She explained that in tribal cultures "shaman" is a word that other people call you, a kind of title that you earn, and in this context to call yourself a "shaman" is like bragging. I agree with this. Humility is absolutely necessary for effective shamanic work, and egotism is a killer of it. Tricky stuff for us humans to wrestle with, for sure.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:26 am 

"Way of the Shaman" was the classic book that launched the modern revival of interest in shamanism - sometimes called neoshamanism or "core shamanism". Prof. Harner's book was first published in 1980 under the title "Way of the Shaman: A Guide to Power and Healing". Check out the amazing cover of the first edition!

The latest [2009] edition of Harner's book, entitled "The Way of the Shaman: The Definitive Handbook" has been withdrawn from spam [see email below] and the 1992 edition is the current one - you can get a 47% discount and free delivery to anywhere in the world here:
www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780062503732/?a_aid=specialoffer[

----email-------------------------
I wish to alert you to the fact that a new edition of my book has just gone on ... See moresale by my publisher (HarperCollins) without my awareness or permission. The title of this new edition is The Way of the Shaman: The Definitive Handbook, please do not be misled into buying it. This unauthorized book is simply a smaller-size version of the 1990 HarperCollins edition of The Way of the Shaman (which has no subtitle) with a new (unapproved) subtitle and new cover (see cover image, right) that contains errors and an outdated Appendix A. As Obama said about the Wall Street crisis, perhaps this is what happens without adult supervision. In any case, I had nothing to do with this misleading publication and am in the process of seeing what can be done to halt further distribution.

This OR (ordinary reality) stuff is really weird! Back to NOR.

All the best,

Michael Harner
---------------------------------------

Mikhael
www.shamanism.sunflower-health.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:28 am 

If anyone would like a copy of this month's FREE E-zine "Positive Living with Your Inner Shaman" please contact me.

In this month's E-magazine...

* The healing Power of YOUR Beauty!
* FREE MUSIC DOWNLOADS: HEALING & JOURNEYING
* Mudra Healing - FREE Poster
* Are You Doing What matters Most in Life?
* Our Pioneer-ing Ancestors in East Anglia - 1M years ago
* Chanting to access Wellbeing & Spiritual Connection

Some past articles can be accessed online at:
www.sunflower-health.com/shamanism/ezine/index.htm

Blessings on Your Path!

Mikhael

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism