Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Confronting and Claiming Power
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:46 am 

Sometimes this phrase confuses me so I wonder if others would like to share what it means to you?

For me, right now it means completely trusting to faith, facing a deep seated fear and confronting it by letting go of my expectations. If I pass this test then I can claim that power back.

How would you discribe it or do you have any experiences you would be happy to share which illustrate the phrase?

Thank you in advance.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:01 am 

If you are referring to Shadow work, I do not take a passive stance on this.

To confront - or what I must address or admit to - issues that keep me from being in balance or from living in my full power is the deep soul work of my shamanic belief. I cannot blindly trust nor wait for something to "work itself out" but would rather seek the understanding to change whatever negative aspect of myself is into a lesson learned.

Then instead of allowing that negativity to dissipate, I can transform it into a power source within me, bringing balance back into my life and work. Only then can I step in and claim it now as Power.

Yes, part of it always involved letting go of expectations... which is no easy task. But I don't see these experiences as tests - more like lessons learned (or earned).

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:54 am 

I find the phrase different, when other situations occur.

In one nightmare werewolfs were after me, chasing and after many nights I became one of them and conquired them all, becoming their master. That is one example I think of shadow work?

In attempt of curing, banishing spirit of illness, old sages here used to confront that nasty spirit and claim power over it and send it into stone or similar place. Like classic shamanic technique.

The world is full of confrantation, but when to claim power over it is a sensitive matter. Some conflicts are good as they are, and when the time is right to overcome it???

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:17 pm 

I'm so glad I asked this question since it is bringing up the differences that I also find with such a phrase.

Shadow work, I tend to see as those things which come up and which I try to remain aware of so that I can work on the issues. Anger misplaced - where did that come from and what does it stem from, how can I heal that within me? A fear which has no real basis in reality . . . that sort of thing but is healing oneself to bring balance the same as claiming power?

Power can be viewed in so many ways, Power places, people, spirits, physical power and psychological power that confronting in order to claim power starts to take on many levels of meaning, some of which seem appropriate and others it can feel wrong. I guess its all down to circumstances and personal judgment.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:30 am 

I believe it so. Usually the bad vibes comes, when somebody is claiming power over others, when it is not necessary through confrontation. When it raises up naturally situation and feeling is different. It comes, because the others trust you and give it to you.

One wise told simple phrase, that: true victory is self victory. It sounds simple, but mastery/power over own emotions, thoughts and actions are hard to gain.

I am not sure if all emotions are something to be confronted, but viewed, accepted and calmed that way.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism