Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Card Readings and Shamanism
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:12 pm 

Hello everybody!

What has divination and shamanism in common? What has shamanism to do with card readings?

Well, I should be able to answer this question on my own. I practice both, shamanism and card reading. But: actually I got some problems answering this.

If we have a look at shamans in different cultures, we often find divination. To find out the future of a society, was for sure important for its shaman. Of course: they could have been travelling to the future in a shamanic journey, but I think, they also used other tecniques. Problem nowadays in my opinion: shamans do not exist, only shamanic practinioners. That's because we are not invoked by a society, that we care for. And we do not have the influence, that people would follow predictions in a social way.

Back to my own work. I divide my card reading from my shamanic work. What brings these two things together is the trance. Often I care about my oracle sea (orakelsee.com) after I've done the shamanic work for the day. Simply because the trance helps seeing pictures around the cards.

Does anybody else card readings or any other kind of divination besides or included in her/his shamanic work? - Not meaning shamanic journeys.

*smile*
Wanderer

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:47 pm 

Shamanism has no historical connection to modern day divination cards. In traditional shamanic cultures, divination came to them during their spiritual journeys, either out of body or during a ritual with a hallucinatory substance. In some cultures they read through objects such as stones, bones or freshly slaughtered animal remains.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:25 pm 

I practice tarot oracle as well as tea leaf reading in addition to my shamanic practice. I also practice divination through journeys/visioning/etc. I do not consider it to be separate from my other shamanic arts, though I understand it is traditionally considered so in some cultures.
To me they are yet other modern tools I use to interface with spirit in my shamanic & spiritual practice, like the telephone & computer to communicate with other humans!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:38 am 

The Saami noaide (shaman) divines by use of their drum. The drum has pictures of gods, animals, and other designs. The noaide then places a ring or pointer on his drum and beats it until the pointer lands on a picture.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:24 pm 

I do not view any individual part or aspect of my work as separate; in other words, it is all Shamanism. The different "parts" are just tools.

My work is done through journeying, tarot (but not in the traditional sense) or by listening to stones and crystals, plants, animals, sounds, weather, nature in general - whatever responds to my question. It's interesting in what forms the answers come. Interpretation can be complicated, as there is very little spoken or verbal communication here. It's more of a knowing - and definitely not my own.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:15 pm 

I recently read a report of a Bon Jankri who practiced divination with rice on his drum. The motion of the rice during a chant gave answers, but there weren't details. Another was something about a stone that could be seen with eyes closed and moved left or right for answers.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:50 pm 

I use the 16 Eyes of the Earth for certain divination questions. It is an ancient european way of divination, obviously originated in Africa, akin to the Ifa. However, I do need it rather seldom.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism