Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Can White People Be Shamans?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:35 am 

I suppose the question might be absurd, but I guess here's the place to ask right? I'm interested in shamanic practices, but I'm afraid how well i'd be received by others. It seems i've heard both sides of the story. I've been told that white people have treated the earth with such disrespect for so long that they no longer posess the connection and skills to listen to her. On the other hand, I've been told that shamanism more or less finds you, and its a matter of the spirit, rather than the color of your skin. Uggh. I'm so confused. I would really like some feedback on this.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:53 am 

Six Fingers,

My first internal response was "how many PURE (genetically) people are there out there anyway?" I am a "mixed blood", certainly more European blood than Native American, and yet I have chosen a more traditionally Native American path.

My second internal response was that what is accepted and considered "shamanic practice" today is a wide-spread spirituality that is not just Native American. Ethnicity doesn't define the path.

From my perspective, you are correct when you say that "shamanism more or less finds you." Whomever you are, from whatever background.

Crowtalker

Post subject: can white people be shamans?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:11 pm 

White people aren't the only race abusing the earth. Also, a lot of white folks are trying to practice sustainable ways of living and helping the earth to recover.

Post subject: Re: Can White People Be Shamans?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:35 pm 

Six Fingers wrote:
I suppose the question might be absurd, but I guess here's the place to ask right? I'm interested in shamanic practices, but I'm afraid how well i'd be received by others. It seems i've heard both sides of the story. I've been told that white people have treated the earth with such disrespect for so long that they no longer posess the connection and skills to listen to her. On the other hand, I've been told that shamanism more or less finds you, and its a matter of the spirit, rather than the color of your skin. Uggh. I'm so confused. I would really like some feedback on this.

Go within you
You came here with all you needed to do what you have come to be
Look beyond the language of this confined space
Seek deep - to be shaman - shaman - touched by called by is spirit

that is only the beginning the awakening
then comes the practice

spirit has no color no gender no label
source energy spirit mother father sister brother east west north south rom above as is below all are one connectedness

your heart knows listen to your beating drum (heart) the answer is within
the "practices" bring us into alignment with our "knowing"

blessings

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:49 pm 

White is only a label for a skin color. Regardless of skin color, all humans are tribal and indigenous when we look back far enough.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:56 pm 

Shamanic practice is ancient and exists in many cultures, including Northern European as Celtic shamanism. I believe the spirits are calling many of us at present to integrate shamanic practice into the modern culture we are in, here and now, to 'dream a new dream' of healing and sustainability for the earth and all our relations, regardless of skin color or the specific tradition we come from.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:11 pm 

Technically speaking, "race" is a demographic term that is no longer used in most circles to describe biological origin. "Ethnicity" is a more inclusive description of origin, as well as is culturally inclusive. It seems to me that you are asking more about cultural "viability" as a shaman than of skin color--correct me if I'm wrong. While the term "shaman" has specific origins, refers to a specific tribe, performing a specific function, it has come to be a widely used reference as a soul traveler intending spirit interaction to improve the circumstances of herself, another or community. With that in mind, indeed, all who seek that path can walk it. I find that as you say, the path finds you.

If you are opening discussion on cultural appropriation, which I think has implications in your reference to the western cultural destruction of Mother Earth and the dissolution of connection to Her, again, I think that we all have the potential to be on a shamanic path, but all who learn spiritual traditions that are not their native custom bear a responsibility to pay homage to that culture and its teachings in their use of those customs. Most people in the west do not have spiritual guidance for their shamanic paths, particularly those who realized the path at a very young age. We also readily assume as a melting pot that everything is fair game. For those reasons, I find that we have some clarifications to make in ourselves along our path, perhaps even unique initiations around such, to find and hold a center that is both true to ourselves and is respectful of the traditions that teach us.

My motto is, as a western shamanic seeker, go and do what feels right to you, and remember that every step of your path, someone, somewhere of any number of cultures struggled to bring that information and opportunity for you to learn and be on this path.

The fact that you are willing to explore this issue within shows a great deal of respect for yourself and the path, as well as indicates that you have a sensitivity to the teachings that will find you.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:22 pm 

This is one of those sad questions that display the influence of dogma. I don't mean anything to the person asking it yet I sympathize with why they ask.

The answer is yes. Actually, Shaman is a white term that has caught on throughout cultures. Most of my apprentices have been white and a few are respected Shaman now. My latest, Sequoia Redd, is now on her journey hiking the Appalachian trail after six years of everyday Shamanism. A white woman, soon to be a fine Shaman in about two more years. We do eight year apprenticeships.

It's all in action and deed, not race, religion, diplomas or certificates.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:23 pm 

I would like to share an experience. As long as I can remember, I grew up having visions and hearing voices. Alot of the time they were abusive and very hard to handle, esspecially at an early age. I was diagnosed as being Scizaphrenic for more then a few years, until I was later diagnosed as having temporal lobe eppilepsy. I grew up beleiving that I was I'll, because that is what I had been told. It was only when I started studdying shamanism, and applying it to my life, and actually taking freely to spirit that I started to feel good about myself. I started to understand as the vail was lifted. People still look at me as if I'm nuts, when they see me talking to the river or to a fire, but realy it dosent matter. I went to visit a shaman from Peru. He asked if I was a spiritual man, I answered that I was part of a small shamanic circle, at which he laughed in my face, and repeated over and over, western sharmans. It was so abserd that I laughed with him, but as I did, I leaned forward and touched his leg. He stopped laughing and smiled in exeptance. If Spirit wants you to work as a shaman, skin dosent come into it. Neither does religeon, gender or sexuality. If you are mention to be, Spirit will find you! I now am happy comfortable and in controle. I am a healer and flute maker. Life is as it should be!

Post subject: can white people be shamans?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:32 pm 

WOW. Hhhhmmm. Intersting forum, this.
A big answer, mine.
The answer is yes, with a caveat...
I am certain our souls age is involved, and how much we've developed our shramanic abilities in previous lifetimes. Shaman is a term that originates in sanskrit, and the first human "shraman" was Lord Shiva. SHIVA to the east indians means: "love consciousness, sitting inside the electron" Nassim Haremien calls them "lovetrons", a new physics term.

I came into my white girl body living on the edge of a small lagoon in the Redwood Forested mountains of California. The presence of the Lagoon had much to do with my ability to transport myself into this culture with my memories and abilities still in tact.

I came into my body with vibrant past life memories, uncanny relationships with the astral realm, visitors coming to me from these realms, and, to help me cope, since I was born into a white cultre as well, I was literally visited by my Kriya Master, and given a "transmission" of darshan to help me cope, when I was in my mid teens, somewhere.

This visit was extreme, and when I met my teacher in person, at the age of 38, I realized he had sent himself both backwards AND forwards through time for this to occur, since when I met him at 38 he looked EXACTLY as he did when he appeared to me in my teens...he is not much more than 10 years my elder, so he was much younger when he sent this transmission.

THESE ABILITIES will become much more common in our nearing to present future. My yes with the caveat? Well, I was born with EVERYTHING and STILL NEEDED my indigenous Kriya Masters techings to develop myself. One cant get through kindergarten without a teacher. One cannot get through physics without a teacher.

DNA does make a difference AND dna and genetic materials in human bodies are going through shifts and changes right now...so...find a teacher and practice, because transformation is our goal, each one is heading directly into and to become literally the shinning light of love itself. Oh yes, once you remember who YOU ARE NATURE HERSELF WILL COME GREET YOU!

This is the signage of great shamanic ability... ..There is a video floating around you tube showing my conversation with a wild amazon hummingbird who is sitting on my finger, ...talking to me.
namaste.
Om Nama shiivaya.

Post subject: Anyone can be a Shaman
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:02 pm 

Afternoon Everyone,

My name is Omar W. Rosales. I'm the Author of 'Elemental Shaman'. My journeys have taken me to Sedona, Guatemala, Japan, Bhutan, and India in search of Shamans and Indigenous healers.

I think anyone can be a shaman. I think its more a function of genetic ability and practice. Some of the common themes you see with shamanic practitioners are the "NDEs" or Near Death Experiences, the sudden illness, and the familial lineage (which may include a shaman or psychic as a grandmother, grandfather etc).

Shamanic traditions may be purer in Native or Indigenous populations.

But anyone can be a shaman.

Thanks!
Tashi Delek,

- Omar

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:51 pm 

Serving real apprenticeships help make real Shaman.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:08 pm 

I traced my DNA through the National Geographic Genographic Project to East Africa between 150,000 to 170,000 years ago to "Mitochrondrial Eve," a woman that all people on the planet are descended from. From East Africa, my ancestors traveled through the Middle East, then on to Germany, Holland, and Ireland before heading to Turtle Island where a Native American Cherokee joined in to complete my lineage. My ancestors started out black, and along the way became pale. But we are all from one...and I cry for the earth. I call myself a "medicine man" because my wife said it makes more sense and people understand it better than "shaman." One should listen to females! Plus, I give out modern medicines as well as ancient ones. There is no need to be confused...do as you are called...and laugh with those who laugh at you.

Post subject: Spirit knows not color
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:28 pm 

There were a lot of good comments here. What I think is the most telling is that the question had to be asked at all. Of course, that could also be because of the backlash against whites, the accusations of misappropriation, the wannabees, the fly-by-nights, etc. In the end is just another form of discrimination. Another way to separate us all from each other and prevent us from coming together, all colors, all peoples, to bring about a better world.

In the end, it is all about heart. That is the measure I use for a person. What does your heart say? I have often been told that I should go be a Buddhist, go be a Druid, or some other, any other path than the one I walk. It can sometimes be trying to walk between two worlds, but in the end we must listen to our own hearts and not be driven by what others say. If that were the case, I would be an Irish Catholic priest. Good thing I didn't listen to others, eh?

So to the original poster, I say, go to the woods. Sit amongst the trees, rocks, and streams. Ask the spirits for guidance. Then sit and be quiet. Too often we offer up prayers and then walk away and don't stop to listen. Then we wonder why the spirits don't help. LOL. Kind of like when your kids ask you a question and then walk away as you start to answer.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:59 am 

What about past life?? Is that ever occured to you that this is not our first life for most of us and that who was indian, african or amerindian in a previous life might be white in this one and vice versa...I for myself had many past lives as a shaman (mayan,amazonian, siberian) and has a man even if in this one I am a white woman and been called to shamanism again....shamanism is a call from Spirit and the Soul...not a decision made intellectually....It is a matter of life and death and rebirth....I didn't choose to have trance like experiences they just occured spontaneously to remind me what is the true essence of my soul..I didn't choose shamanism , it choosed me...

We are all part of the same living consciousness , like the cells in one body. What would happen if some part of our physical body was refusing some other part of our physical body? We would become sick, handicap and disfunctional...This is actually what is happening in our human world, our societies...dissociation, separation disfonction....When you walk the true path of Spirit and Shamanism you don't create separation ....you create unity , understanding and awareness....Awakening from the Illusionary Dream of this so called Reality!
So if you feel called to Shamanism just go for it , let go of others judgements and if you need some guidance find a school, a teacher or many that will help you on your path ...and go sit quietly in Nature and listen to what Spirit has to tell you (like croftale said)...Have a Great Journey!!

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism