Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can White People Be Shamans?
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:14 pm 

[quote="Six Fingers"]I suppose the question might be absurd, but I guess here's the place to ask right? I'm interested in shamanic practices, but I'm afraid how well i'd be received by others. It seems i've heard both sides of the story. I've been told that white people have treated the earth with such disrespect for so long that they no longer posess the connection and skills to listen to her. On the other hand, I've been told that shamanism more or less finds you, and its a matter of the spirit, rather than the color of your skin. Uggh. I'm so confused. I would really like some feedback on this.[/quote]

Peace be upon all.
This world is nill. For now, it is merely a proving ground. Shaitan, whom is called Satan, thought he could be a god besides Allah.

He was wrong. And racist. It is the spirit body that is the reality. You may be a shaman.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:16 pm 

[quote="Six Fingers"]I suppose the question might be absurd, but I guess here's the place to ask right? I'm interested in shamanic practices, but I'm afraid how well i'd be received by others. It seems i've heard both sides of the story. I've been told that white people have treated the earth with such disrespect for so long that they no longer posess the connection and skills to listen to her. On the other hand, I've been told that shamanism more or less finds you, and its a matter of the spirit, rather than the color of your skin. Uggh. I'm so confused. I would really like some feedback on this.[/quote]

The only reason why Allah divided humanity into different skin colors, races,
ethnicities, and things like that is so that we can recognize eachother, not so that we can prejudge eachother. I know who people are when I see them, because they look different. Yes: "white" people can be shamans.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:17 pm 

I'm born in Sweden wich also has a long history of shamanism. But here we call it sejd and the shaman is either "sejdkvinna" (woman) or "sejdman"(man). In the early history the sejdkvinna was very respected but the sejdman seemed quiet odd because it was a feminine path. When christianity came many shamans were burnt as witches as they were everywere in europe, but in Lappland and other northern parts such as with the Sami-people it survived. Now people are more and more open to shamans because of the introduction of alternative medicine and new age.

The nordic shaman is very alike the native american shaman. We use drums, rattles and on our first journey / trip we mostly call or are called by our power pet, wich has a more personal meaning than a general meaning. We also use stones and singing for energy.

So is it a problem that I'm white and grew up with a materalistic thinking? No, not for me! I know what I stand and my mind is pure, clean from materalistic and egocentric thinking. I'm seeking to be one with nature and only want to help others. It was something that came to me, a dream at first - then I felt times after, that the nature talked to me, and showed me the way. I felt it's powers, it's spirits and then I started to search for answers in my dreams, on the internet, in books, went to an older shaman who trained me - I'd found what was my path.

Is it wrong for me to live a shamanic way and to do shamanic work? Is it wrong for me to living with nature and taking care of it, talking to it? No, and everyone who found this path even if he lived in an indrustrial world are welcome to live with this belief and to call himself a shaman if he like to. And we all should join together to show the world that we care about our nature, mother earth.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:05 am 

Well said, soddex!

As you so accurately wrote, "We should all come together and show the world that we care about our nature, mother earth".

I see no place for racism among shaman.

Old Rivers

soddex wrote:
I'm born in Sweden wich also has a long history of shamanism. But here we call it sejd and the shaman is either "sejdkvinna" (woman) or "sejdman"(man). In the early history the sejdkvinna was very respected but the sejdman seemed quiet odd because it was a feminine path. When christianity came many shamans were burnt as witches as they were everywere in europe, but in Lappland and other northern parts such as with the Sami-people it survived. Now people are more and more open to shamans because of the introduction of alternative medicine and new age.

The nordic shaman is very alike the native american shaman. We use drums, rattles and on our first journey / trip we mostly call or are called by our power pet, wich has a more personal meaning than a general meaning. We also use stones and singing for energy.

So is it a problem that I'm white and grew up with a materalistic thinking? No, not for me! I know what I stand and my mind is pure, clean from materalistic and egocentric thinking. I'm seeking to be one with nature and only want to help others. It was something that came to me, a dream at first - then I felt times after, that the nature talked to me, and showed me the way. I felt it's powers, it's spirits and then I started to search for answers in my dreams, on the internet, in books, went to an older shaman who trained me - I'd found what was my path.

Is it wrong for me to live a shamanic way and to do shamanic work? Is it wrong for me to living with nature and taking care of it, talking to it? No, and everyone who found this path even if he lived in an indrustrial world are welcome to live with this belief and to call himself a shaman if he like to. And we all should join together to show the world that we care about our nature, mother earth.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:56 pm 

I had an interesting experience years ago. I am white skinned and it didn't even dawn on me when I signed up for a work shop with a Sangoma from South Africa, that I may offend the other students by being there. No one spoke to me and all starred and whispered. I actually overheard one student say to the Sangoma that a white person couldn't be a shaman. The Sangoma said yes she had known a few. LOL
About 1/2 way through the work shop, one of my crystal elders that had insisted on coming to the work shop with me and also insisted on sitting on the table in front of me, started drawing attention to me. Each time it was my turn to participate around the table, there would be a loud whistling noise like the wind. VERY LOUD and everyone kept looking outside (including the Sangoma at first and then her eyes turned and looked right into mine, and not that friendly looking, I might add). Then she said "you have big medicine" and after that I was part of the crowd. I was accepted. Thankyou crystal elder!
Blessings, Smallelk

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:37 pm 

Wow Smallelk! That's a creepy but cool report.

Old Rivers

smallelk wrote:
Each time it was my turn to participate around the table, there would be a loud whistling noise like the wind. VERY LOUD and everyone kept looking outside (including the Sangoma at first and then her eyes turned and looked right into mine, and not that friendly looking, I might add). Then she said "you have big medicine" and after that I was part of the crowd. I was accepted. Thankyou crystal elder!
Blessings, Smallelk

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:20 pm 

I live in South Africa and there are quite a few white Sangoma's here.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:16 pm 

I wonder what color the Spirits are?
:roll:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:25 am 

If we forget the title 'shaman' and forget religion and forget differences of race, colour and culture what are we left with? Just people! There is no tree, bird, mountain, person or animal, no star, no moon, no rock and no energy which does not have the Divine within and without of them. How can only one section of humanity be closed off from the spirits all around them?

This is some of the healing we have to gently attempt, not by evangelising or proselytising but simply by being open and willing to walk the path we are called to with integrity. So this doesn't have to be the path of a foreign culture, nor does it necessitate the appropriation of ceremonies or language etc but merely the understanding of how we can offer help and healing in a way which our ancestors and community understand.

A shamanic path is truly about assisting all others rather than focussing on ourselves or the semantics of colour and race. There is no other reason to follow the calling of one who works with the spirits other than to assist and heal. If someone can offer me concrete evidence that white people are unable to communicate with spirits or heal in a shamanic way then I will be happy to listen . . . I'm not holding my breath though. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:14 am 

Well said Forest Child

Post subject: Re: can white people be shamans?
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:33 pm 

moonbear wrote:
White people aren't the only race abusing the earth. Also, a lot of white folks are trying to practice sustainable ways of living and helping the earth to recover.

That was one of my first thoughts also.

I posted in another thread that the time for separation is past. I would also add that the time for white folks bashing themselves for whatever is laid at their feet in the form of blame and shame is past.

When a person is told over and over that he or she is bad, that person will enact that very condemnation. Same with skin color. When we keep re-hashing the same condemnations, we are creating that very thing.

As shamanic practitioners, we are called upon to see the divinity and sacredness of each and every being. When we really do that, people will begin to change their behavior. There is great power in the words we use, and in what we think. Let's use that power to create harmony and beauty, instead of re-creating over and over the same stuff.

Blessings..

Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:27 pm 

As Sandra Ingerman said:

"Shamanism is the earliest spiritual practice known to humankind, dating back tens of thousands of years. Although the word "Shaman" is a Siberian word for a spiritual healer, shamanism has also been practiced in parts of Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia, Greenland and native North and South America throughout history. The fact that the practice has survived and thrived for tens of thousands of years speaks to the potency of the work."

So no, it doesn't matter what color of skin you have, since practically every culture had some form of shamanism in it.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:31 pm 

I've been told that shamanism more or less finds you, and its a matter of the spirit, rather than the color of your skin. Uggh. I'm so confused. I would really like some feedback on this.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:15 pm 

I consider Jesus to be the ultimate Shaman; I'm not sure if he was actually Caucasion, even though of course the pictures we see of him in the Western Hemisphere shows him as a white man. (In other parts of the world, he is pictured differently).

Your connection with the spirit world and sincerity of purpose determines your level of Shamanic ability, not your race.

Blessings,
Deerhawk

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:58 pm 

Nobody has the monopoly on 'shamanism', every culture has similar tribal origins and therefore this kind of spirituality can't be claimed by a single culture or group of cultures. Those who belong to a culture whose practices have remained in living memory are lucky indeed but although ancestry is important to us we don't need to be a particular race to explore our spirituality. I live in Britain and so I do not have much exposure to Native American culture, (although of course I find it fascinating). Here we have dolmens, mounds, henges and our history of Faery lore and witchcraft, as well as Celtic and Germanic elements are all available to be explored by the genuine seeker without the need for pretence. We can draw parallels between Australian Aborigines, Amazonian, South American Indians, Native American Peoples, Inuit, Siberian, Tibetan, African...and we can learn from what they do without needing to be Hawaiian or whatever the culture may be... and that's what is so fascinating about 'shamanism' is that it seems to be packed with astonishing similarities even amongst peoples who have nothing else in common. We don't need to follow one thread if it doesn't feel comfortable. My approach is to tread my own path with humility, learning from whoever graces us with their knowledge and teaching and from any and all available sources, but the real teaching comes from the Otherworld which is not limited by such things as race or creed.
I also believe that all true 'shamans' have carved out their own path. They may well follow certain traditions and teachings they have learned in a cultural sense, but their practices will be influenced mainly by their wealth of experience. Once you get 'out there' as it were, you soon realise that any cultural or 'superstitions' framework you put around it is just superficial, the real work never matches any cultural stereotype. We may have Elves/ Faeries or certain kinds of spirits in mind for example, but when we encounter them the experience is vastly different from any expectation. For me I was surprised that being aware of certain Otherworldly phenomena was more like a normal thought, or a 'smell' or something ordinary like that, and not some magical, mysterious feeling as I had imagined it would be. The point I am desperately trying to make is that the cultural framework we use to work with is only ever a way of making it make sense to our ordinary mind, sort of a 'flavour' we add to it as it were. My opinion anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism