Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Re: Beware of False Teachers of Shamanism
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:01 pm 

"... isn't the whole premise of the shaman that on the supernatural level, they are able to create physical change in their client that wouldn't otherwise happen?"

We can create an environment, condition or situation that invokes a physical change in the client that wouldn't other wise happen. If anything is supernatural it is the trust level involved. The trust the client has in you and even more the trust you need to have in yourself to flow with the visions of what you see to do.
I wouldn't make a habit out of doing Lodges like the one in that blog post but at the time it felt right and she got great results.

One reason Shamans stand out from the rest is because the masses have a supernatural lack of confidence in their own potential. A Shaman is like a metaphysical test pilot, often in the internal argument of logic and gut feelings. We go with our training most of the time....

Post Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:16 pm 

resonantD wrote:
One of my friends used to work that hotline and talks to me.

Please keep talking to your friend.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:35 am 

Shaman Hawk I like your metaphor of using ritual/circumstances to create the climate for the client to have extraordinary healing. We facilitate the client's trust, and then Great Spirit and they, do the rest. Our energy is the catalyst that merely opens the doors that begs to be opened. Tom A Course In Shamanism.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:52 am 

A person cannot give themselves the title of "shaman." This honor must come from the community and those who have received healing. Anyone who calls themselves a shaman should be viewed with skepticism. For instance, Michael Harner and Sandra Ingerman do not call themselves shamans.

Becoming the student of a shamanic practitioner, whether Harner, Ingerman or anyone else for that matter, does not guarantee that one becomes a great healer -- or even a good one. The relationship between onself and one's spirirt helpers is most critical. There are practices that are taught to enahnce this, but the practitioner must do what the word practitioner implies: practice.

That said, not everyone is healed by a shamanic practitioner (the preferred title). This may be due to several reasons. One, and the most likely, is that shamanic practitioners heal spiritual illness or spiritually-based illness. Some illnesses are not spiritually based. There is also the question of intent. Intention is the backbone, so to speak, of all shamanic healing. The shamanic practitioner must have a clear intent to offer healing AND the person desirous of healing should have an open heart and clear intent to receive that healing.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:50 am 

Hi,
I am assistant to the shaman of Shuem for already ten years and with that experience can clearly see that 'becoming a shaman' is a calling and not something that happens when you want it. In traditional cultures most people would really want to do something else and try to stay as far away from becoming a shaman as possible. It is only in the West that we've romanticized it and think it is something we would like to strive for. Becoming a shaman is a calling that most of the time comes quite suddenly. For me for instance, with ten years of training with the shaman of Shuem, I can see my experience has widened a lot and I've seen and experienced things that you could say are 'shamanic', however it's also clear I'm not a shaman. It's quite impossible to put in words what the difference exactly is, but when I experience his energy during healing or lessons, it is clear there is a difference. Still, even when it is someone's calling, like for the person I work with clearly is, the 'calling' or 'gift' still has to be trained and refined.
Kind regards,
Wabke

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:02 am 

Wabke, that was one of the better descriptions I've heard. I started an eight year apprenticeship back in the early 60s then on to a two year "journey" before finishing my apprenticeship. It wasn't for another ten years was I acknowledged to be qualified to teach and only the basic courses. Now you can go through a two year course, send in a little cash with two box tops of your favorite cereal and poof, you are a Shaman and qualified to teach.
My favorites are the ones who just get a vision they are to be a Shaman and channel the information.

I've seen quite a division in the Shamanic field. There are the hot house orchids of Shamanism, those who can always be found in air conditioned classrooms wearing crystals and animal parts as their decor, and the traditional or real Shamans who are difficult to find because they are in war zones, natural or man made disasters or other places where they are needed and wearing simple clothes that suit the situation.

Sounds like you are on a real journey. Wish you well.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:01 am 

I am deeply saddened by so much that is posted about false shamans and wish to ask Barry - what healing do you wish to receive? What is it you wish to have healed? There is so much more I could say or ask, but I do not wish to add to any negative energy generated by this topic.

Aho Metakuyasin
SkyBear

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:37 am 

The true answer
Certainly. I agree with told all above.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism