Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Being Selfless
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:44 am 

Being selfless is good right, but how many people can say that they weren't thinking of their own happyness when they make someone else happy?
For example, I think this is a bad argument because human beings respond to other people's emotions, so we can't help feeling happy.

Sometimes are we nice to someone in need, or caring because we feel that if we are not, we fear the same will happen to us? I think there are people out there who do not fear of anything much, but are nice anyway because they know it is good for their planet.

What is the opinion here? some people seem to be so sure that everything is for our own benefit, and whilst a lot of people are selfish and don't realise that they're self-centered, I'm pretty sure that there are bright stars within society.

blessings

linden a. p :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:39 am 

My opinion is that you are over-thinking the question.

There can be no standarization of feelings or intents.

Do the best you can to spread love and healing wherever you go. Should positive outcomes make you feel good, enjoy those moments. You have a right to take pride (and peasure) in your work.

Old Rivers

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:28 pm 

Used to grapple with this one myself. Then it hit me. As we're all connected, TRUE selflessness is impossible. What's really possible, though is "ego-lessness". And the one thing the ego hates more than anything is something not done for it's benefit. So, for example, if you come across a person asking for change on a street corner and you feel like helping him out by giving him a couple bucks, that's "ego-less". If sometimes, immediately afterwards, a thought runs through your head like "You only did that to feel good," that's the ego trying to shift your perspective around and hook you into feeding it with attention.

You get back what you give out. If you give out love, it comes back to you. Love feels good. No sense in denying or debating that fact...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:25 pm 

Yes, sometimes we do thing because we feel we should.

There are selfless things we do, however, simply because someone has to, we don't think about it we just do it. Military history, the Victoria Cross in particular, is replete with acts of incredible heroism where completely selfless acts were undertaken in the midst of unbelievable and horrific situations simply because that person did it without thinking. There was a really good investigation done into the psyche of typical VC recipients and a very high percentage of them were quiet, focussed individuals who didn't want to talk about their heroism, their statements all sound the same, "I just did it, anyone else would have done the same". They didn't understand that few others would have done the same, selfless act. It is truly rare.

There are also selfless acts when we know that we are putting others first because its simply the right thing to do, even if we seem to loose out at the time. Integrity seems to be unique to the individual, we all need to consider what is right, rather than what is easy.

Selflessness is a good aim even if it starts out as a bit of ego mixed with self assistance.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:48 am 

Some years ago, I saw a homeless person huddling against the side of a supermarket out of the wind. His hair was dirty and wild and his clothes were rags.

Short version... I went in and bought a big hot deli sandwich and a cup of coffee. Approached the guy, who was not begging and really wanted to be left alone, and said "Hey man, I just bought this and can't eat it, do you want it"? He took the sandwich and hot coffee and then tore the sandwich in half and said " I'll split it with you." I politely declined and went on my way feeling very good about myself.

It wasn't until years later that I finally got "it". I had a warm place to stay and food. A few dollars for a coffee and sandwich was not a big deal.

He had nothing and didn't know where his next meal was coming from and yet was willing to share half of his meal with a stranger.

He was the selfless one, not me !

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:07 pm 

Wow. What a lesson, falconer. Great story.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:07 pm 

Great Discussion!!

For me, it depends on the definition of "self-lessness" I guess. I believe in the concept of exchange, energy for energy. There is no "ego" in exchange. I loved Falconer's story -- this man who had nothing at all, understood the concept of exchange. Effort and energy was being expended toward him...he expended effort and energy right back by offering half. He had nothing with which to make the exchange, and yet he did make an exchange! It found that very cool!

Crowtalker

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism