Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Beginner Questions
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:45 pm 

Hey all,

I've got some questions that I can't find the answer to in the search option here on the forum or anywhere else I've looked. Last September I bought the book Shamanism: As a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life. I've been trying to meet my power animal or spirit guide since then and had great difficulty focusing and clearing my mind with no real success for the last 7-8 months. My first question is how can I tell the difference between my will or imagination and the real thing? Second is I've read conflicting opinions on whether or not I should talk about my power animal, what is your opinion? Until early this week I thought I might have reached my power animal once early last October but this week while trying yet again I was very relaxed bordering falling asleep when I got a very clear and sudden image of an animal going about its business that woke me instantly and surprised me with the strength of the image. It left me wide awake and I felt instantly as though that was my power animal. Unfortunately because I have a difficult time clearing my head I have yet to make another contact. So I haven't had the chance to confirm or ask it these questions. Third and potentionally least popular is how does me being a hunter affect my trying to practice shamanism.(Please note that I was not raised in a pro hunting environment and that it was just something that I have always been drawn to from an early age just like shamanism and I have no intention of stopping either so please, I don't want this to turn into a debate on the subject and note that I mean no disrespect to anyone sensitive to the subject)
Thanks in advance

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:35 pm 

Greetings Chris

You could try a couple of things to make contact. I have found that the more desperatly I tried to contact a spirit animal (or any spirit for that matter) the less chance of it happening. The mind is like a computer drive that is usually full of information. When you want to obtain another file to store and there is no room then something needs to be cleared out to make room. So if your mind is always full of expectation "when will it happen?" there is no room left for the spirit to make contact. If you are a hunter and that is what you do, and you have no problem with that, then the reason you bring up the subject in conversdation shows a slight hesitation from your perspective (that could be causing the block in communication). In a way, by bringing up the subject you have automatically placed a block infront of yourself and pointed to it so that others will see it. I am sure Jesus went fishing occasionally even if Buddha was happy to eat salad so each to their own. So that out of the way, next, I would focus on a question you would like your power animal to answer, then go about your normal daily activities and wait for a reply. If a different power animal answers your question it may mean that your focus is on perhaps having a large and magestic power animal such as a tiger, or an elephant and indeed it may be something smaller such as an ant. Remember that one may have many power animals and if you can't find the one that stands out for you, you may indeed have quite a few and they are all trying to contact you through your daily activities but are too small for you to notice. Start observing your nature surroundings more closely and see if you obtain your answer from the little ones. By the way, thinking about how much an elephant can carry compared to it's body weight and then compare it to ant. Not much difference in the strength department and most likely the ant would win. Just something to think about.... and then let it go so that you can have a clear mind to be open to communication.

Good Luck
Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:52 pm 

Thanks enocheye for the quick reply, I want to clarify my question...what if my power animal turns out to be an animal I feed on or hunt? Second the two animals I think could be my power animals are neither strong or powerful nor are they what I would have expected. I meant that the recent image was vivid. Is this how it can happen? I kinda feel dumb asking cause I felt know doubt that it was my power animal but as a beginner I'd like some reassurance. Also do you speak freely of your power animal or is this something that is kept between it and you? Thanks

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:52 pm 

Greetings Chris,

Quote:
I want to clarify my question...what if my power animal turns out to be an animal I feed on or hunt?

Buddha would probably go vegetarian. Jesus would probably ask you to thank God for it's existence and thanks to the animal for it's sacrifice.
Shamans would probably be somewhere inbetween them both.
For example, it is not good to kill and eat your brother, however it may be okay (not good and not terrible but JUST okay) to kill and eat an animal. There are references in the bible that state Adam and Eve were told what food they could eat and animals were on the menu. Best you google that and read it yourself.

Quote:
Second the two animals I think could be my power animals are neither strong or powerful nor are they what I would have expected. I meant that the recent image was vivid. Is this how it can happen?

Yes.

Quote:
I kinda feel dumb asking cause I felt know doubt that it was my power animal but as a beginner I'd like some reassurance.

Ask your power animal for more assurance and guidance by providing more signs for you to see where they are in your life.
That's what they are there for. Proof comes from believing, so believe in them and then they can communiate freely with you. Self doubt will only hold you back.

Quote:
Also do you speak freely of your power animal or is this something that is kept between it and you?

I can only answer for myself (others may answer differently).
I speak freely about everything INCLUDING my power animal. What you hold back is just your own fear preventing you from stepping forward.
IF others tell you to keep it quiet, that is their fear. Don't always believe everything in books or on TV, it is just someone elses opinion and your path may be more truthful and grounded than theirs.
If you want to speak about your power animal, then your power animal is perhaps guiding you to do that.

Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:56 am 

Welcome Chris,
From reading about what you are going through it sounds to me that you have made a significant contact with an animal spirit,...Or perhaps the animal that you need to learn from right now, which will lead you to your true power animal spirit. I asked myself what inner and physical qualities do I posses most and then see which animal best fits those traits. I always thought that my spirit animal was the Bear, only to find out it was something I would have never guessed until I truly looked at my "core" essence....That,. and I had help from two very insightful people who both reassured of what my spirit animal was....It was weeks after before I had my first vision and I will never forget it, because of how powerful and vivid it was.
As far as being fearful that you have hunted and killed your spirit animal, simply go out and call to your guides as well as your animal spirit (telepathically if you wish) and offer them tobacco, state that the tobacco is for the animals that you have hunted and it is in honor of their spirit. Tobacco is like gold to most spirits. It will be a grand gesture on your part, even just stating that you honor the animal spirits will work.
Finally, it is your choice to tell other people about your power animal or not. I choose not to because I feel that it gives "not so nice" shaman/shawoman a way to take away your power,. However, if you were to walk into my home you would know without a doubt what animal it was.

Kodiak

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:19 am 

Greetings Kodiak,

Some good wisdom from you in your last post.

One little thing, I have been taught (and now teach it to others also), that no one can take away your power, it is you that allows them to do so.

If you feel your power has been taken, call to the spirits to re-collect all of your aspects belonging to you and return them to you. Then stand in your pwn power.

I sometimes "loan" my power to others for short periods of time. If I see a mother that is having a difficult time consolling a crying baby for example, and she is at her wits end, I hand my power over to her and the baby and ask that the power envelope them both so that they are cocooned in a bubble of harmony. The results are instantanous, and then I recall my power back to me when I feel that it has served it's purpose.

Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:15 am 

I am a hunter and falconer myself (but no longer practicing it: that has different reasons then the ones following in this posting). Having a animal I hunt as power-animal could result in a taboo hunting it. But it could also result in the contrary: that you are only to hunt this animal in order to devour its flesh: the term "communion" is clearly akin or rooted in this habit. Eating the body of the power animal is a kind of old and primordial form of a deep respect to it.

Either ways: the respect to the animal is increased. In our traditions of hunting this respect has some expressions like "der letzte Biss" or "die Strecke verblasen" - two terms I only know in german.

Yours,

Apu Kuntur

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:30 pm 

thank you all for your responses, I'm looking forward to meeting the animal spirit again, as soon as I can. I have yet to try drumming or rattling and hear it helps with clearing your mind so I think I'll try that. Its good to hear that hunting won't interfere with my trying to practice shamanism. I always believed that hunting was what got me out and into nature as a child and influenced my need to reach out to spirits but maybe I've had backwards all along? Thank you all again.

Chris

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:19 am 

Hi Chris , I found a good way for people searching for there power animal was for them to take a walk through the forest with this intent. Look for 4 of the same animal during your walk. And when it happens you will know. We all can ask help from all the animals on earth and beyond. So talking about your power animal for me is OK. Be proud of your discovery! Best of luck remember we are all one! Jim :D

Post subject: Re: Beginner Questions
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:42 pm 

chrisl wrote:
Hey all,

I've got some questions that I can't find the answer to in the search option here on the forum or anywhere else I've looked. Last September I bought the book Shamanism: As a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life. I've been trying to meet my power animal or spirit guide since then and had great difficulty focusing and clearing my mind with no real success for the last 7-8 months. My first question is how can I tell the difference between my will or imagination and the real thing? Second is I've read conflicting opinions on whether or not I should talk about my power animal, what is your opinion? Until early this week I thought I might have reached my power animal once early last October but this week while trying yet again I was very relaxed bordering falling asleep when I got a very clear and sudden image of an animal going about its business that woke me instantly and surprised me with the strength of the image. It left me wide awake and I felt instantly as though that was my power animal. Unfortunately because I have a difficult time clearing my head I have yet to make another contact. So I haven't had the chance to confirm or ask it these questions. Third and potentionally least popular is how does me being a hunter affect my trying to practice shamanism.(Please note that I was not raised in a pro hunting environment and that it was just something that I have always been drawn to from an early age just like shamanism and I have no intention of stopping either so please, I don't want this to turn into a debate on the subject and note that I mean no disrespect to anyone sensitive to the subject)
Thanks in advance

Peace be upon you , Chris.
Why do you need a "power animal" ?
Certainly not to be a shaman. Shamanism does not require a shaman to
have such a tool, although it may have it's uses for some people. But if
you really think about it, one does not need power, or power-animals. Our
true source of power is God, and the purest power is that which comes directly
from God to you. But if you seek some kind of animal, one that may help by
reflectiing to you what you need to see in yourself, then go to an elder shaman who is older, wiser and more experienced, and ask them to seek
this animal for you. Be patient if an elder agrees to because you never know
how long such a process may take.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:43 am 

Peace be upon you all. When I call upon God, or Allah in my culture, it means I am recognizing that all power truly belongs to Allah and that as all
things have a good purpose, (including bad things), that all things are in
accordance with the will of Allah, (God). Also when I call upon God , I am
asking God to reveal to me all that God knows is best to reveal to me, and
I implore God to do so in all the best ways. Personally, I do not care about
if Allah reveals things to me through spirits, animals, plants, objects, or whatever, so long as I am able to perceive Allah's revelations within any
moment that they come. I will look every where for them, and then I will
even pray to Allah that somehow Allah will guide me to simply notice any
of those revelations at the best times whether I am still looking or watching
for them or not.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:27 pm 

What keeps you from doing bad things to others,it seems to me an excuse or scapegoat,as I understand it Islam has rules and standards of living that are considered the right will of Allah just as the 10 commandments are for the christians or the Hebrews,so if that law or group of laws are twisted to a persons own ends then whats the point of these laws if all is under the will of Allah,how will you grow as a person and a holy man how can you help people or why try it must be his will,it reminds me of the garden of Eden,something that these religions have in common before Abraham,God or Allah said do not eat of the tree of good and evil,was it his will that we should do so because he gave us woman and the tree or was it a test of faith ,whats the point of the test if we're all caught in his will,how can you choose between right and wrong theres do difference its all the will of god,there was plenty of time for glorification when we were in his presence,the angels do this even now,do you think the world is here just for the lord to have something pretty to look at as we slowly turn it to dung in his name,something is missing ,we are to strive for him towards him,but it doesnt give us an excuse to discount the creation to that end,look around you every day, that is gods will,were given free will for a reason,what does your philosofy dictate that that is,please excuse my spelling,dont be offended its just the will of Allah working through me.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:57 am 

Anthony Bellah wrote:
What keeps you from doing bad things to others,it seems to me an excuse or scapegoat,as I understand it Islam has rules and standards of living that are considered the right will of Allah just as the 10 commandments are for the christians or the Hebrews,so if that law or group of laws are twisted to a persons own ends then whats the point of these laws if all is under the will of Allah,how will you grow as a person and a holy man how can you help people or why try it must be his will,it reminds me of the garden of Eden,something that these religions have in common before Abraham,God or Allah said do not eat of the tree of good and evil,was it his will that we should do so because he gave us woman and the tree or was it a test of faith ,whats the point of the test if we're all caught in his will,how can you choose between right and wrong theres do difference its all the will of god,there was plenty of time for glorification when we were in his presence,the angels do this even now,do you think the world is here just for the lord to have something pretty to look at as we slowly turn it to dung in his name,something is missing ,we are to strive for him towards him,but it doesnt give us an excuse to discount the creation to that end,look around you every day, that is gods will,were given free will for a reason,what does your philosofy dictate that that is,please excuse my spelling,dont be offended its just the will of Allah working through me.

Peace be upon all.

Everything is in accordance with Allah's will. But we still have free will. We
want things on our own accord and act on our own volition, and that is Allah's
will. Allah wills for us what we will for ourselves and for eachother, and Allah
knows our truest desires even better than our conscious minds. Allah created
us, while fully knowing what we will want and do; He created us anyways.

Every thing that happens to you is your own doing, as well as Allah's will, and
Allah wills for us what we will deep in our souls for ourselves and eachother,
and Allah also wills for us what is best sometimes even if we don't want it for
one reason or another. Allah wills to test us in life so that we may learn of ourselves and eachother, and of Allah.

The universe has rules.
Every cause has an effect, every stimulus a response, every force an equal
and opposite force. That is Allah's will.

The human has it's own nature, faculties and powers, each designed to
perform a certaine function or set of functions. Those are the rules of the
Human's inner universe.

All the forces of Nature,and all the faculties and powers of all lifeforms,
are the basic laws of life that are designed perfectly by Allah, each with
a specific set of perfectly designed functions and purposes.

In Islam, the religious laws are suitable to human nature, because human
nature is law as well. Many humans are not aware of what they truly want in
their souls, nor are they aware that they are not aware of their soul's desires. Some souls are not meant to want an eternity in heaven with Allah,
and they don't. Some souls are meant to want an eternity in heaven with
Allah, and they do.

Happiness occurs when a soul gets what it wants, if in addition to what it
wants it also wants happiness. True happiness is Heaven.

Sorrow occurs in a soul that does or does not get what it wants, if in
addition to what it wants it also wants sorrow.

Often, what one's soul wants, one's mind and emotions and body may not
want or may only want un- or subconsciously.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:09 pm 

Interesting insight. I haven't researched into sufism but the ends seem in alliance with other mystical traditions.

I'm curious if your path is similar to the tree of life in the kabbalah traditions. I only recently learned of it, and liked what I found (my study was focusing on the hermetic tradition).

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:17 pm 

Ravens sacred voice,Respect,I hear you,and I give honor and respect to your chosen Path.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism