Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:33 pm 

Quote:
Second is I've read conflicting opinions on whether or not I should talk about my power animal, what is your opinion? Until early this week I thought I might have reached my power animal once early last October but this week while trying yet again I was very relaxed bordering falling asleep when I got a very clear and sudden image of an animal going about its business that woke me instantly and surprised me with the strength of the image. It left me wide awake and I felt instantly as though that was my power animal.

Sounds like you found it. Sometimes you just know. In general, people have 1 primary totem animal, and a few other spirit guides ( which may be animals, too, or ancestors, or more exotic helping spirits like fae or even gods.), but you may be a bit different. Keep at it, don't be surprised by what you get, listen to your inner voice, and they'll reveal themselves to you in time.

Quote:
Third and potentionally least popular is how does me being a hunter affect my trying to practice shamanism.

In traditional Shamanic cultures, most men were hunters. Hunting ( done in a respectful way) is actually a good activity, IMO. It is much more connected to the natural cycle of life and death than most modern life. That said, your personal spirits may have their own opinion on it, and you should find that out. They may want you to make changes to how you hunt, to hunt more, or even to stop, and what they "suggest" you probably will need to do.
If you have trouble communciating with your spirits, the best thing i can suggest is that that the next time you go hunting, you wait till you find an animal you'd normally kill, look at it, then look inside yourself to see if you should be hunting that particular animal or not, and if so, if you are doing it "correctly." Be open to the answer inside you, ask your helping spirits to guide you, even if you can't always hear their voice, and, be sure to listen, even if you don't like the answer.

I don't know what you are called to do, and what your spirits want, so when i say that you need to find out how it applies to hunting, I'm saying that, because it's a very serious and meaningful activity that you want to handle correctly, not because I think you should stop. You may have a powerful predator as a totem who wants you to hunt much more often and to make regular offerings from your kills, or your spirits may want you to stop entirely. I don't know, but you probably should find out.

One last thing, your difficulty communicating with your spirits strikes me as a possible sign that the path of the shaman may not be for you. Obviously, you'd know best, but generally in shamanism, the shaman is called by the spirits to some extent, and although a strong interest is a possible sign of that calling, not hearing their voices, especially after months of trying may be their way of telling you that it is either not yet time, or not right for you.
If you truely feel that it is something you need to pursue (more of that inner voice thing) to do, then I'd suggest having some one experienced that you trust journey on your behalf to help you along the road, because a reason why you may not be achhieving much success may be that you need some healing of your own first.

[/quote]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:29 pm 

Before you consider the possibility that you aren't meant to be a shaman as Sargon says, I would consider the possibility that you may not be doing it right.

If you asked me, I'd say you've found your power animal but its a matter of finding it again that seems to be the problem. I think I see what your doing. Are you waiting for the image to come to you again and talk to you? Because if thats what everyone else is doing, I'm doing it wrong. I simply picture my power animal and he is there with me. Don't see it as thinking about it to make it happen, just a kind of summons.

I also noticed that you mentioned not being able to distinguish thoughts from what is really happening, and I struggle with this too. For some validity you could ask your power animal to make an appearance (which can be someone else talking about the animal or seeing a picture of it, or even seeing it strongly again) and it usually will.

Best of luck!

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism