Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Any who are willing to help me start, please reply.
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:59 pm 

for my purposes here, i will keep my story short. I have not much spiritual experience except for a few reoccuring nightmares of waking up in my bed being contacted or sometimes paralyzed by some kind of spirit. I was Christian most of my life and am now starting to question what is really true. a few days ago Shamanism came to my mind and ive spent days researching and i want to get started but i dont know what to do. i dont really trust most spirits and i am seeking a shamans help.

Post subject: Re: Any who are willing to help me start, please reply.
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:31 pm 

Nice to meet you, Velvel. I'm not sure where you live, but I do recommend finding a shaman near you to work in person. This site is a great resource for finding folks, but if you're not certain, let me know where you live and I can tell you if I know of someone. You can email me at kelley at soulintentarts dot com. Also, if you are interested in book resources, I recommend Lupa's "DIY Totemism." No book will replace mentoring with someone, or going to someone for healing work, but understanding the backdrop is always useful.

Hope you are well!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:35 pm 

anyone around MN would be okay, but I cant guarantee I can meet with anyone for awhile. Im still in high school.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:23 pm 

Check out Rhonda, here:
http://www.earth-keepers.net/
I'm not certain how near she is to you.

Hope you are well!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:08 pm 

thank you, but im not exactly looking for seminars at this point in time. I need more do-it-yourself type info. I'm not in a situation where I can meet with people. but thanks anyway.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:58 pm 

I went through a similar thing Velvel. I was a christian for 33 years and very unhappy and dissastisfied with the christian life. I wanted to try another path but was so frightened with an eternity in hell ( they brainwashed me for 33 years) that I kept my hand to the plough "like a good christian soldier". I even went to bible college for 3 years to prepare for the ministry and all I found in bible college was a stifling of my soul and spirit. One day about 3 years ago I was at a Border's bookstore and a book on shamanism caught my attention. I felt like my whole being was being drawn to this book, but because of the christian brainwashing I thought an evil spirit was drawing me to the book. I left the bookstore.
About two months later I saw the same book at a Barnes and Noble and I felt the same pull. Again I started to leave the store when I heard a deep and true voice say "trust me". I picked the book up and read the whole thing in two days and was completely ecstatic about the idea of shamanism. The next day I went out into the forest and tried some of the exercises mentioned in the book and I was totally amazed at the healing power that I experienced. It was as if 32 years of christianity fell to the ground.
However,the 32 years of extreme right-wing christianity took a toll on my personality and belief patterns. Although the shamanism was a new found help for me and my spiritual path, I still had to deal with old christian thought patterns. To help deprogram myself I read several books and articles. One that really helped me was an online article called "The Rejection of Pascal's Wager". This helped me come to terms with how real or fake the christian bible was or wasn't, however you decide. Also, another good book is called The End of Faith by Sam Harris. Although I am far from being an atheist, I have read some of the books by Daniel Dennet and Richard Dawkins. These books helped me to pull away from the christian faith and allowed me to dive deeper into shamanism.
The sad part is that I missed out on years of spiritual freedom that I could have experienced had I found the shaman path when I was younger, but maybe it just wasn't time for me.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:43 pm 

Hello,
To Clay99, thank you! I've lived the christian experience much like your story. I've healed in the name of Jesus Christ, but then whose name was it before then and after I left christianity? I've had something constant throughout life, and I'm ready to understand this now. I wrote more about it over at the topic "Would someone please explain". But I just wanted to thank you for this post. At times I feel very alone, though my life is full with lots of love.
Velvel, I hope you find answers as well. Thank you for your question!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:25 pm 

DIY shamanism, huh? All right, here's a few shamanic drumming tracks. This sort of drumbeat is meant to aid trance induction, and of course the trance state is key to travelling to the spirit worlds. Don't listen to them while driving or operating heavy machinery.

http://www.shamanismcanada.com/drumming.html
http://www.prehistoricshamanism.com/drumming-tracks.php

...and some instruction on shamanic basics.

http://blog.prehistoricshamanism.com/3/how-to-journey-to-the-otherworld/
http://blog.prehistoricshamanism.com/5/how-to-find-a-power-animal/
http://blog.prehistoricshamanism.com/85/getting-stuck-in-the-tunnel/

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:15 am 

I don't even use a drum.

Try to see what your soul is made of. Refuse to see ay lies, just the squiggly energy itself.

Use the receptive quality of intuition, don't try to "figure out how".

Alternatively, set the intent to not connect with any spirits that are not who they say they are.

Really, find any energy worker to help you get rolling.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:40 pm 

Drums aren't necessary. Witches, for example, don't use them while pathworking (journeying).

An open heart and quiet mind are all you need, but drumming's a good way to get started.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:43 am 

My .02 on drums. I've traveled without drums for most of my life. I had an experience with a tribal dance group years ago where I traveled with drums - only recently looking into Shamanism, did I discover the discipline of using drums to aid in the journey.

I just gotta say - there is a REASON that drumming into entry became a world-wide practice amoung shamans - IT WORKS. It helps sooo much. I've been using drum tracks but I'm anxious to work with other shamans so I can feel the real thing and have more tempo control.

To each their own.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism