Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Any advice for a newbie?
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:02 am 

Hello all,
I recently became interested in learning about shamanism (shamanistic practices, the ways of the shaman, etc. just what should this be called anyway.) The internet contains a plethora of conflicting information on how to get started and I am completely confused. There is a workshop this weekend near my home called the:
Michael Harner's
The Way of the Shaman®
Shamanic Journeying, Power, and Healing
The Basic Workshop in Core Shamanism (Weekend)

http://www.shamanism.org/workshops/calendar.php?Wkshp_ID=10

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this company. I have noticed several readily apparently frauds out there in webland; but, I have read Harner's book and found it very informative. Perhaps his company is legit. Any feedback about FSS and any other advice for a beginner would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Post subject: Re: Any advice for a newbie?
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:12 pm 

Harner, Michael PhD. Received Doctorate in Anthropology in 1963 from U of C at Berkeley.

Before teaching at several prestigious universities his field work focused on Lower Central and South America, specifically the Amazon Area.

Published Works include:
(1972) The Jivaro: People of the Sacred Waterfall
(1973) Hallucinogens and Shamanism
(1980) The Way of the Shaman: A Guide to Power and Healing

He started training workshops in 1970, founded the Center for Shamanic Study in 1979. In early 1980, he and his wife started the Foundation for Shamanic Studies.

The central tenet of his method is "Core Shamanism" a cross cultural generalization assuming similarities in skills and techniques while sterilizing other cultural aspects from the practice.

As an organization, this is one of the more respectable ones. Though, you can confirm the validity of the association through the website online if you are concerned, as well as gain some insight on the principals you will hear in the workshop.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:34 am 

Google ho'oponopono.

This translates into the spiritual: http://www.livestrong.com/article/14718-building-healthy-boundaries/

Learn from that. You will learn about protection and it will translate into the expression of your soul.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:27 pm 

Don'ts: Never pay to pray. Always look out for that, it's a huge red flag. Also, stay away from anything about sex shamanism as in the past these men have preyed on vulnerable women.

Do: Connect with your culture and lineage (trace it back, for example if you're white, are you Celtic, Hungarian, Russia? etc) and learn how your culture did this kind of work in the past and then find an elder who is willing to teach you. Don't try and be something that you are authentically not. If you're not Native, don't suddenly try to be. It's not authentic and it's not ethical. And who would want to take up this kind of work if they were not doing it authentically? Don't be something that you're not. Be proud of who you are and where your people are from. Start from what your blood knows.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:59 am 

North wrote:
Don'ts: Never pay to pray. Always look out for that, it's a huge red flag. Also, stay away from anything about sex shamanism as in the past these men have preyed on vulnerable women.

Do: Connect with your culture and lineage (trace it back, for example if you're white, are you Celtic, Hungarian, Russia? etc) and learn how your culture did this kind of work in the past and then find an elder who is willing to teach you. Don't try and be something that you are authentically not. If you're not Native, don't suddenly try to be. It's not authentic and it's not ethical. And who would want to take up this kind of work if they were not doing it authentically? Don't be something that you're not. Be proud of who you are and where your people are from. Start from what your blood knows.

Excellent advice - Loren Cruden talks about 'Native' (as in 1st Nation) and 'native' (your own native culture wherever you live), the latter includes your ancestry and culture within your family back over the generations. If you are to work with your Spirits, this is incredibly important.

Everyone, regardless of their skin colour, must be part of the solution; part of the spiritual growth, not complicit with culture theft and inauthentic practice.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:18 pm 

North wrote:

That's all fine and dandy, but what if your ancestors didn't give a hoot about cultural and continental boundaries and you end up having Dutch, Frisian, Ost-Frisian, English, Welsh and tiny bits of French, Polish and even Cherokee? I.o.w. what is a Heinz57 supposed to do? Also, what if you're predominantly Welsh but circumstances have dictated that you now live somewhere in Alaska, or Siberia, or Russia? Wouldn't it be more logical to try and connect with the local spirits and a local teacher?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:02 am 

Lytse Himmel wrote:
That's all fine and dandy, but what if your ancestors didn't give a hoot about cultural and continental boundaries and you end up having Dutch, Frisian, Ost-Frisian, English, Welsh and tiny bits of French, Polish and even Cherokee? I.o.w. what is a Heinz57 supposed to do? Also, what if you're predominantly Welsh but circumstances have dictated that you now live somewhere in Alaska, or Siberia, or Russia? Wouldn't it be more logical to try and connect with the local spirits and a local teacher?

I can only speak personally but it has been a matter of letting the Spirits show me where to look and research. So not only the Scottish side or the English side of my family but the Dutch and North West European side too. Some threads are stronger than others when it comes to shamanic practice but that combines with the spirit of place you find yourself also. I think what North is trying to say is to be authentic. If you are Heinz57 with a background from Europe lets say, and you find yourself living in Siberia, acknowledge your European heritage as well as learning from and with the Sprits and teachers in Siberia. Don't just say that you are a Siberian shaman!

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism