Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Advancing as a Shaman
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:28 pm 

I am curious....We all walk a different path and have different tests we undergo in order for the spirits and guides to forge us as a Shaman or "lightworker" and healer. I would like to hear your stories about how you met a mentor or were tested to your limits or even a profound experience that shifted you to Shamanism. The reason I ask all of you is I would like to see if there are similarities in all of our tests/paths to becoming a Shaman. I must admit I am chomping at the bit to get going as a healer and Shamanic Practitioner, so in reading your personal stories I will see how we truly are alike in our Paths as Shaman and Sha-Women.

As always,
Travel Well,
Brother
-Kodiak Starr Owl

:wink:

-and would someone please reply to this post before Enocheye does....first one gets a cookie!! (just kidding around with you mum!)
:D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:22 am 

Jayson...

Hmmm okie I'll just hover inthe background as long as you save a cookie for me!!!

;)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:29 pm 

Since none of you wish to go first I'll start with a brief story about how I chose to become a Shaman to get things going. After many years of battling (and still do sometimes) with anxiety and depression I decided that there had to be another way and I knew that I had to find a Shaman to help me. Within about a week of having this thought I came across a local Shaman and scheduled a healing session with him. Needless to say my energy was all messed up and I got to him at the perfect time for a healing....funny how the universe provides for us when we are truly ready.... Long story short,my energy field was cleared and allowed to flow once again and I also met a lot of spirit helpers and guides during my healing. It was amazing and it was only the beginning for me. After that experience it was settled, that was what I wanted to become and had been doing it my whole life without even knowing it. I started small and did the same thing that he did with amazing results. I could pinpoint energy blockages and remove them with very little effort. One night while working, a co-worker asked me to help her with a knot in her back. After the second time I worked on it it was gone completely and never returned.....She had done massage work and everything else for fifteen years with little result. After working with her twice it was gone and has not come back to this day. My journey continues and I will have a mentor soon to help me develop my gift even more so. OK everyone, (including you Enocheye) time to hear some of your amazing stories, 8)

Brother KODIAK

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:21 am 

Kodiak
It's good to see you on a good path now.

Hmmm well to make a long story short... five near death experiences.
Councilling four people through suicide over a twelve year period, then falling into potential suicidal state with severe depression. I had to pull myself out of that one because all the others that could help were battling suicide of their own at the time, so I just decided that I was the one that had to NOT be suicidal so that I could help them. A massive direct hit thunderbolt awakening experience, complete with stars, flying, choirs, and a whole bunch of angels and ghosts. The third eye opening with a video type screen infront of my face showing me my whole life in reverse, picture by picture, thousands of them. Crown chakra opening and showering me with it's light. In the next three years I met thousands of strangers in the street and knew immediatly all their history, their past lives, their origins and their purposes, because when I looked at them, voices loud and clear like a radio broadcaster would tell me all their details. The information overload became too much and I lost stability of my mind and got lost in the maze.
It took me another 2 years to find myself again and rebuild my memory banks. (just like rebuilding a computer from scratch after reformatting the hard drive-only that was my brain/memory). I forgot my name, my age, the year, the day, I forgot my home phone number and the names of my family members, then I couldn't even dial on the telephone because my hand was trying to find the numbers to dial but my mind would not talk to the hand to tell it where it had to go on the phone keypad. The contents of my mind vanished and in that flash moment I found "nothingness". It was empty and full at the same time and it was amazing. Now I am trying to be a normal person again, like I was before all this started, and so far 18 years later, I think I'm doing pretty good!!! Spent quite a while inthe last year or so trying to see where I fit in, inthe "spiritual/religious world" and the Earth based religion (which is not really a religion) such as shamanic ways has been the one I lean to most because of the great connection with the earth energies. I have found that so many human made religions may mean to be good however there is always the human element that alters its purity. The direct connection with the Earth Mother is pure and instaneous and a powerful healing energy that resonates with me and dosen't try to battle with me like human religions can. I respect all religions, however I choose shamanic ways because of the simplistic way of life where there is no competition with other humans.
That's the 18 year short version....

Enocheye :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:54 pm 

Under the tutelage of my grandmother, I learned the craft of herbalism while I was very young, and later did Toltec journey work with a Mayan shaman early in 1989.

This was the last time I willingly "studied" these finer Wisdoms.

Dragged by the neck, I underwent shamanic training by studying ancient Peruvian energy medicine with The Four Winds Society through the Healing the Light Body School, and became a member of the Lineage, a long line of energy healers dedicated to spiritual growth and healing the earth. My Guides continue to advance my learning through journey work and meditations.

Now, I submit as I realize this great responsibility of being a Full Mesa Carrier is exactly what I am supposed to be.

A friend of mine described me as a strange little woman - shaman, friend and defender of the weak, comforter of the lonely, solace to the depressed, and confusing as hell to all others.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:43 am 

Greetings Rachara El

Looks like you'll fit in nicely with this forum.

Welcome and enjoy your stay.

With respect
Elizabeth
:D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:09 am 

Thank you, enocheye. I am honored to walk among you here.

I love to hear the stories, to read about the experiences, to "see the voice and hear the vision" that takes us to the realms of Spirit. Thee is much to share and learn. This is a grand place to do just that.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:11 pm 

Greetings Rachara El

Yes a circle within a forum is an ideal melting pot for ideas to share among friends like a good hot soup on a cold winter night with good conversation.
There are only a few who post here regularly however as patience rewards so too will our numbers increase on forum.

With respect
Elizabeth

Post subject: my "Teething problems"
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:05 pm 

as far as i know i have always wanted to be a shaman, i followed that dream on my own two years ago, i havent done badly but i lack important information/ tutorship [ power animal ect.], i practice mostly in regular reality [because of problems] but i am stuck and have made no progress for a while, is it really possible to be a shaman/ shamanic practitioner without another as a teacher.

StoneCrow... :D

Post subject: Re: my "Teething problems"
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:30 am 

StoneCrow wrote:
...is it really possible to be a shaman/ shamanic practitioner without another as a teacher.

The teacher is always nearby. You just may not recognize them. The Ancient Ones are with me always, teaching me, showing me what I must learn - as long as I pay close attention and listen to the "small voice" in the wind or the shadows in the trees. This is where the teachers are.

Also, there are physical ones, here it our daily life. Maybe that's why you are here - to learn from each of us as we in turn learn from you.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:40 am 

Ah, our paths that very so much...And I for one am still on one of the first of many steps.

Where to begin...I suppose I should first start with how the ball got rolling for me back when I first started College. Nearly 4 years ago I finally ended my High School Career with spectacular scores and marks entering into my first year of college away from home down in the lovely state of Kentucky. It was my first year and awkward as I was with people, I found myself having a hard time really getting into the 'college life' as some would call it. I was rather recluse, not out of desire, but simply out of a lack of motivation for my own life. An issue that had begun to spawn in the last months of my high school years, but until now had been minimal in its influence against me.

So as time progressed in my first year in college I found myself becoming more and more regressed into my own mind, completely voiding myself of any notion or semblance of balance, and harrowing myself completely into the examination of myself within my own mind. Becoming entirely introspective I had shielded almost all of the outside world around me out of my head, focusing my entire attention to my own fantasies and simple 'distractions' with the computer.

It was sometime during the middle months that I was directed by a former friend to researching the subject of 'Therianthropy' and it was from that moment that I began to embrace my thoughts entirely around my reality within the concepts of Therianthropy. Much like how Shaman's can have a variety of 'spirit helpers' and 'power animals' Therianthropy attunes itself to understanding the connection that we as certain human spirits have a supposed animal spirit that had been attached to our bodies along side our own spirit. My spirit had been the most obvious to me, being a Monkey.

For the next year I delved deeper into the subjects surrounding Therianthropy, understanding all the variety within the subject and constantly altering my own perspectives on my personal self. However during that time, the relationship I held with the rest of the world around me began to dissolve, not because I had lost sight of the real reality, but because I had intentionally made some rather horrible choices in the last few months of my first college year that would send me into the near limits of my humanity. I lied like nobody's business to my parents about, well virtually everything. I lied about going to classes, working on projects, I even was so manipulative enough to 'fake' a literature project, sending it to my mom to be 'proof read' as a guise to protect my isolated life within my dorm room.

I had become, in my own opinion, a despicable creature, hiding from my own truths as I attempted to distract my mind with idle fantasy realities, (Ie. Role-playing online, video games, television...just about everything expect drugs or drinking. I may have been depressed, but oddly enough I had never once had any notion of suicidal thoughts...) I tore down the barriers of trust within myself and with my family. Within a few more months of progressive lies and illusions my parents had been brought down to the point of kicking me out of the house with nothing more than the clothes on my back. I had accomplished what, at the time, I had desired to do and brought my, what I had considered a 'privileged', life as low as it could possibly go. Tearing away even the fabrics of my religious ideology, (at the time I had been raised Christian, and had eventually turned agnostic.)

I was forced eventually to take up a minimum pay job at the local grocery store, working as a craptastic deli clerk, having nothing else but the income from there to pay for my 'room and board' rent to my parents. It was a pathetic life, at least it felt as such. For the next year I continued life simply 'getting by'. I was still having issues with lying to my parents and manipulating others around me just so I could avoid doing things I didn't want to do. I started to grow however from that point. I may have still had issues, but I was starting to finally grow on the right path.

I managed to re-enter into a local branch college of the downtown university and started working on continuing my education once again. Each day life seemed to be getting slightly better and better until finally I was able to take personal time to once again start my searching for the larger things in life. Primarily my 'religious' code, if you will. While I still had Therianthropy as my primary basis onto the nature of myself, i was still struggling with my conceptualization of the world around me. For the greater part of my youth I had been raised to simply believe in a single divine 'being' that created our existence. However something with the way it had been explained always seemed to just not jive right.

It was then that in a local book store my eyes caught onto a simple book in the philosophy/metaphysics section. Now I had read about a lot of basic ideas from Paganism, to Wicca, and the larger religions such as Buddhism and Hinduism. But even those all seemed to just not quiet hit the right spot. They all seemed to be missing something, and it was that something that this book managed to capture almost instantly. "Secrets of Shamanism". It was a simple book that for the most part lay a light outline of the basic 'workings' of shamanism, but ultimately what grabbed me to it all was the simple notion of "perspective". I don't know how to describe it without going into a whole philosophical essay on it but it just all clicked in my head, and it managed to piece everything together that had always been missing from all the other religions. Honestly in my own opinion all the other 'established' religions all can be explained in one manner or another through the Shamanic perspective.

One thing that was discussed in the book was the notion of what Shamans generally go through when they reach new stages in their lives. Sometimes during formal Vision Quests and other manners they are generally described as being torn down to nothing, or experience a sort of 'death' before coming to their 'rebirth'. And as I read about some of the experiences others had had, it clicked instantly that I myself had done the same thing to myself.

I realized then that I had finally taken my first steps into the shamanic philosophy and knew from that point that this was the path I was to take. I have over the last eight or so months gone through a world of changes. To my mind, body and spiritual perspectives. And now I have a new path I am following, this one now involving myself coming to terms with my past life, and it's one that has honestly some rather disturbing 'journeys' associated with it...

One last thing...I know this was quiet a lengthy post, but I will say one more thing. I am still the Monkey from the Therianthropic perspective. It is still a valid and legitamate perspective as to my own personal nature. There have been some changes regarding the exact technicalities of it now, but its still me. However in the Shamanic perspective I am not yet allowed to take the title of 'Monkey' as I was told by my power animal during one of my visions.

Post subject: How it began
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:08 pm 

Interesting report, betaswimmer. Therianthropy? I am intrigued.

Well Kodiak, I'm not sure if you still use this forum, but I'll share my beginnings anyway.

Nothing
I am
I am seeing
There I was, dangling by a chord looking up at the universe, represented as a glowing drop suspended from a tube. I was in The Holy Place and could see 2 other tubes with their own drops left and right at the extreme edges of my peripheral awareness. I was told, not by words, that this world, this specimen on display above me, this universe, was made by "The Eccentric One", one of others who crafted their own specimens, each according to their character. I gazed into the wiggly green strangeness and realized I was approaching it. My new home.

I joined with it, and the canvass of physical consciousness began to stretch in front of me, pulling the previous experience behind and hidden. What is this? This is time. This is time this way and that way. This is sound. This is how to move time. Sound over time. This is water spilling. Things. I see things. They have names. A hand. My hand. A water pipe in my hand. A puddle. A floor.

Slowly, recognition of each object asserted itself, and then there were memories. Memories inside this body. And so from these memories, I draw the cause of the beginning, not knowing if it was me or a predecessor who resided in this body. Regardless, I will use the term "I".

Before the beginning, in the summer of 2007, I was completely ignorant of shamanism. I was a civilized man, valuing the works of man. Progress meant humans erecting cities and farms and eventually conquering other planets. My sacred path, at the time, was to learn about Creator by studying the expression of Creator: Nature. I didn't know any other adequate way, and the doctrines of my youth required too much faith.

But by chance, I discovered report of a plant called Salvia Divinorum. A legal way to experience something new. I had never "tripped". The only substance I ever used and abused before was alcohol and 1 extremely unpleasant marijuana episode which I don't care to do again. I read reports that Salvia Divinorum was used in Mazatec Shamanism. It wouldn't waste my day. Just 10 minutes or so. I learned it was available at the local head shop, learned what a water pipe was and how to use it by the gnarly hippy tattood dude there.

They say curiosity killed the cat. Maybe it killed me. I don't know. I used the pipe and it worked. The twisting, the scary clown, the fear of madness, the darkness. Memories before the beginning.

I wanted to know more about what happened. The clue was shamanism. I learned more, made contact with a local practitioner, read some books by Carlos Castaneda which didn't help, then "Travelling Between the Worlds" by Hillary S Webb which has interviews with practitioners of many cultures around the world. From this I learned of Michael Harner's Core Shamanism which seemed the most appropriate for one like me with no tradition in the field. I read his books "The Way of the Shaman" and "Hallucinogens and Shamanism".

I attended a local circle for beginners by the local practitioner mentioned above. I learned drum-induced journey, and began to appreciate the surrounding rituals and stopped using salvinorin. I made my medicine drum and am working on a calumet.

And so I am a beginner, a child in practice lost in mysteries, with good guides here but mostly beyond.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:25 am 

I'm about halfway through Micheal's "The Way of the Shaman" Its honestly not much different from the other book I read. But honestly I feel there's really not much more I am able to get as far as new information from the books, at this point they only serve as a means of boosting my confidence of knowledge over things I already know.

From what I am able to discern much of what I will be learning will ultimately come from myself. I don't see myself becoming the 'healing' type of shaman however. That doesn't mean I won't know how to help others, believe me I've found plenty of ways to help people without directly messing with their energies, but specifically 'healing others' doesn't feel like my path.

But again as I said before I've only just begun my work. I may have started drastically changing myself almost 8 months ago, but it was only 5 months, at best, that I even started reading about shamanism. I had already started my most recent journey, but it was the knowledge and understanding of shamanism that allowed me to hone my perspectives on what was happening to me.

I think what finally settled it for me though, being the cynical person I am instinctively, was what happened two weeks ago. For the first time I joined a small group for a formal shamanic journeying workshop at a psychic convention, (it was about the only legitimate metaphysics thing actually going on in the entire place too. Way too many 'wannabes'.) Anyway, It was also the first time I personally formally induced myself to have a journey. Before then I had always just let my mind go when it decided to, and had perhaps a handful of true 'visions'. One of which encompassed myself looking at Monkey chained to a stone wall in the middle of a pitch black room. (And he was pissed at me at the time, this was about the time 8 months ago when I finally started changing my ways. Oh yeah lets not also forget to mention the one time I started to undo his chains early...lets just say I nearly killed myself just by pushing my physical body too hard from the energy he released.)

Keeping on topic though, we went through two sets of journeys. The first of which was merely a 'practice' round if you will. She guided us to the top of the tree to Eagles nest and then took us into the caves down below the roots of the tree, where I, after some time, finally encountered Monkey in the 'prison' room in one of the random paths of the cave. This time however he was much more calm and accepting of me, since by now I had finally come to a realization of why he had been mad at me before. However I had little time to talk with him and was shortly dragged up back into conscious reality.

We discussed our first journey with the practitioner, Foxfire, who certainly seemed keen on me when i mentioned Monkey chained to the wall. I had always suspected it was related to my past life, but I had never outright said it to anyone before, but she instantly called it out for what it was, (finally it was the first time I found someone who was able to understand what was going on.) She suggested to me working on some kind of soul retrieval but had to move on before going into detail as time was short and others still had to tell their stories.

So we went into a second trance. And at first I was struggling to let my mind calm down and focus. I spent the first half of my time in complete reality, hypersensitive to all the noises around me body. But after a bit of time i managed to re-enter into the caves and find Monkey once more. However this time he really didn't have much to tell me. Basically saying that I was "doing the right thing, there were still some small little things I could work on but for the most part I was on the right path now, I just needed to wait more time before trying to 'unlock' him." And before I could really get any more information from him I was swept up by Falcon and dragged out of the caves into the sky once more.

A few moments later I found myself being dropped into the middle of the rain forest, my mind clearly telling me that it was the Amazons. I was in some kind of marsh pit, sloshing through the high waters while pushing away brush and leaves as I made my way for dryer land. However it was then that something in my head clicked, making me look down at my legs. I realized they were now covered in leeches. I couldn't physically feel them, but I knew instantly the danger I was in. I couldn't simply pull them off. I would bleed to death due to their anti-coagulants, and I couldn't risk smashing or squeezing them in anyway because they could spill infected blood back into my body. As luck would have it, though, I managed to reach dry land, coming out of the brush into a small open clearing within the forest. I was quickly met by several natives, (I myself I believe was part of this clan within this vision,) realizing that I had made it 'home'.

This alone would have been disturbing enough for me, And probably just seem random, had it not been for the fact that about a year ago I had an eerily related dream. This at the time had simply been an unusually vivid dream, (meaning I was actually asleep not just entranced,) in which I found myself lying on a fur mat on the floor of an old tribal hut in the middle of the Amazon once again. This time however I figured out that I was getting my leg cut off, (which in the dream the leg appeared perfectly healthy,) for what I believed was to be for some ritual that was supposed to save our tribe. Unfortunately for me, it was not a simple 'amputation' but instead entailed the pain staking experience of the local 'doctor' cutting at my leg with a 'knife' duller than a butter knife. After hours of cutting though the 'doctor' freaked out and bolted in the middle of the surgery leaving me with the chief who was left to make the final 'break' on the femur bone. Lets just say I woke up in a cold sweat with my back curling at least a foot into the air. I could feel the residual pain in my leg the rest of that day.

While the two visions in the Amazon definitely feel related to one another, at least in the aspect that it was the same 'clan', I don't feel as though the leeches had any connection to my leg being amputated. I do however feel that these visions are in some way related to my past life, and I'm going to be going back to Foxfire at some point to work with her some more on this.

Post subject: Books
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:38 pm 

Hey Betaswimmer,
I agree that books can only offer so much. The interesting thing, however, is when I revisit a book after gaining a bit more experience. Some things I thought I understood took on new meanings.

At first, I wasn't interested in healings. However, there was one session where our teacher showed us a variant of reiki healing involving location and energy work using drums and rattles. I was not intrigued, but I held my tongue and participated anyway, just hoping to get it over with.

When it was my turn to practice, I was not in trance, but inspiration began flowing and I felt guided. Afterwards, when we related our experiences, my "patient" reported being amazed at how I was able to target directly and specifically to 2 points on her body that had been injured.

There is still a lot to learn. I've never done an extraction, and when my woman asked me about doing one for her, I was worried that I would muck it up. I told her I needed to contact another and set up a session and it was more complicated than she was willing to deal with (she thought it was as simple as praying for someone).

If healing others doesn't feel like your path, is there something that does?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:18 am 

True, reading books multiple times can always bring more to one's experiences, however...the issue here is I really don't have motivation to read books all that often. It was a miracle I managed to get through the first shaman book without any major distractions. Plus I have this issue where my body just shuts down and passes out when i sit down to read books...

Truth be told I'm not entirely sure where I want to go yet. There are a number of paths I see before me that are each equally as likely for me to follow into all depending on how other events play out. But, personally I prefer roles that lean more towards protection, organizing and leading rather than healing.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism