Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: A New Religion...
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:57 pm 

Well, these are my goals. 1.Live with a tribe and study shamanism for 10-25 years, 2.Make my own religion, and 3.Create a new society in the US built upon my religion but open to all.

Step 2 is what I'm working on now, but I will be continuing it through step 1 and release it afterwards. I've never had a vision or anything telling me that this was my calling, but I have felt something equally as strong and moving as such to do this. The purpose of this thread isn't to introduce you to my religion, but to ask for your thoughts and ideas so I may assimilate them into my own. I'm also open to any kind of criticism. This is what I have so far.

ETHICS:
No code of ethics, each person is to decide for themselves what is right and what is wrong, and act accordingly. However acting more evolved, however you may conceive the word, is highly looked up upon and would earn you a higher status within the society (like mormanism my religion would incorporate a new society into their religious beliefs), and acting less evolved may earn you a lower status.

THE SOCIETY:
My society will be unique in that everyone that is able to work will work, but receive no paycheck. However everything will be free to those who live in the city. Everyone able to do so will assist in building their homes, and there will be a selection of 10 or so house layouts that you can pick from, all equal in sq. ft. Even those with the highest rank, the mayor, and town officials will live in these homes. There will be electricity, AC, and all other appliances that come standard with a home. All objects for spam will be of the same brand, which will be cheap and eco-friendly.

CORE BELIEFS:
We are all one, there is no difference between one and another. Treat all as your brothers and sisters.
God makes up everything. God is all the energy, collectively, including you! You are a part of god.
Our being is of three parts, the mind, body, and soul. The soul, like god, is omnipotent, meaning it knows all things, but cannot experience them in the spiritual realm. Therefore it seeks to experience them through our physical bodies. The mind is the creative part of our being. When we have thoughts, we are creating how we experience what we are thinking about. There are many guidelines to thinking, like do not have expectations, that lead to a better life, which I have not yet hammered out. Our body is the tool of the trio, yet because it is a tool does not make it any less than the other 2 parts, they are all equally necessary. Our bodies are the being through which our soul experiences life, and through which the mind experiences what he creates.
There is no such thing as an objective right or wrong. They are subjective (meaning they can be interpreted differently) and should be looked at as such. However they can be somewhat necessary in times like today, where killers are rampant and countries threaten each other with weapons of mass destruction. If we didn't have these concepts, we wouldn't see unnecessary (which is also subjective) killing as 'bad' and wouldn't do something to stop it.
There is no true death, only the death of the ego occurs. Even traits of your body go with you. After the death of the ego and the physical body, we live on, most likely to reincarnate into a new being or to be one with the great spirit and experience nirvana. However if you choose the latter, you will only do so for some time (which is a relative subject to our souls after we have died) because if all you experienced was the greatest feeling imaginable, that would become the norm, and you would want to experience something else, something new.

Well, thats what I have. Its not a lot but I think the few ideas I have are pretty solid and resonate well within most people.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:08 pm 

I have felt a call along the same lines.

Where you are trying to create a religion, I wish to create a tribe that will have common ethic and rituals (to include not just major celebrations but greetings and forms of diplomacy), sets of taboos and traditions that belong to them in commonality. A place where the merely shamanistic can find shaman support without having to delve into the dangerous spirit world alone and untrained, and where aspirants and prospects can train with those who have gone before to better understanding and facilitate learning.

But then, I see shamanism as a holistic process that involves not only the shaman but the entirety of the culture of a tribe in support. That includes the stories, the dances, the greeting and parting rituals, naming and rites of passage, and all the little quirks of a culture that define their unique variation.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:11 pm 

Well I see what your saying about how culture defines the type of shaman you are, but I almost want to keep it the culture open. (Hopefully) People from all around the world will want to be a part of my religion and society, and I want everyone to be able to keep and bring their culture with making only minor adjustments (greetings, language, etc.).

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:58 pm 

I never said it would have to be a secular thing. Cultures develop whether we want them to or not, because of the influences and needs of community. That includes socio-religious communities that only meet at random. They are Sub-Cultures embedded within the super-Culture.

What I see as feasible... is a subcultural embedding like that of existing cultural communities... Much as the Jewish Community exists within the American Super-culture while retaining its own separate traditions.

The cultural idiosyncrasies then become relevant to members within the group and more or less quirks to those not of the cultural group.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:55 am 

I had a similar goal, but it was to become really successful until I can use my influence to form a spiritual web between the highest powers. The rich men of business that can control all from the underground would get caught and eventually start their own form of conversion to at least some basic shaman properties.

And while I'm successful I'll make movies and books that highlight the success of shamanism in a slight undertone that gives it a sense of power with a balance. The concept is similar to how people watch kung fu movies and then take karate classes, because they feel for the protagonist and believe that they can complete their goals if they put in similar effort.

tho it would be harder than that because there's also the downside of how often people hurt themselves recreating something they saw in a kung fu movie.

Thus I reintroduce shamanism at a massive, yet comfortable level. And also hopefully smooth down some of the damages that the New Age waves have done. I'm looking at you crystal entrepreneurs and jerks with access to sweat lodges.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:10 am 

No religion for me thank you ... way too dogmatic :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:28 am 

Actually, other than trying to introduce people back into shamanism, I'm with goldie.
Shamanism isn't really considered a religion. Or even really a practice.

Plus if it was a religion I wouldn't do it because that would mean it would have a ton of annoying and crazy rules with some obscurer prospect at the end. A'la the invention of lying.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:07 pm 

I see what you are saying Stormraven, and I agree. Maybe it would be interesting if the religion contained in itself a form of culture, like a special greeting for example. That way people from around the world would be able to recognize another member by how they greet. However I may just be repeating what you said when you spoke of a subcultural embedding.

I somewhat agree with goldie, I think religion is a very dogmatic system, but I want to move away from the thought that my religion is really a religion (yeah I know I called it that in my title), but instead just a introduction to spirituality, a way to find and improve yourself.

Another core belief would be...Ours isnt the only way, simply another way. Because thats all it is. All paths inevitably lead to god, some are just faster than others.

@Dr. Iron, well thats kind of where my religion would be different. There would essentially be no rules. There is no such thing as right or wrong except for that which you define your own personal boundaries.

There is however something to work towards. In death I believe we find out how well we've done in getting closer to oneness with God, and that each life has had a purpose, to teach you something. So while I cant say I know what exactly we are striding towards, whether it be godhood, saintliness, or whatever, but we are definitely going somewhere. I think what we move toward should be defined as Personal Development. We shouldn't be trying to better ourself for some distant, obscure goal, but for the sake of bettering ourselves, to be better people.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:57 am 

Once upon a time...

... if you were the guest of a noble chieftain, he could not let any harm befall you lest his honor and fame evermore hold the taint of such disgrace.

(At least... so the tales go.)

Where Europe is concerned, I have only seen the evidence of this in references in the Tales of Arthur. Most of those tales have heavy Norman influence dealing with Saxon topics and cultural underpinnings. So while I can see the hints of those influences from previous times, I cannot segregate them and have not been able to verify them with independent sources from the time.

It is true, that certain Native American tribes had similar customs.

A friend and I were having a disagreement, several years ago. I wanted to resolve the issue, but needed a way to approach without starting a physical altercation that would escalate the conflict instead of resolve it.

I purchased three packs of cigarettes and took those as a peace offering. Seeing that I approached with gifts instead of weapons of war, he listened instead of attacking.

Not only did we resolve our initial conflict, but we started a custom among my friends. From then on, if one of us had a conflict with another, and we wished to resolve it, we approached with gifts and were afforded a 24 hour non-aggression pact.

I saw my version taking shape (at least initially) as more of a Shamanic Version of the Masonic lodges. Where the Masons are non-partisan where religion is concerned, this version would be more non-partisan where the rest is concerned.

A place where the commonality of culture could develop on its own in a creative and evolutionary process that served a group, not my own individual ideals. More a council of ideas where the process could develop though mutual contribution.

Post subject: Re: A New Religion...
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:10 pm 

[quote="Kstep"]Well, these are my goals. 1.Live with a tribe and study shamanism for 10-25 years, 2.Make my own religion, and 3.Create a new society in the US built upon my religion but open to all.

Step 2 is what I'm working on now, but I will be continuing it through step 1 and release it afterwards. I've never had a vision or anything telling me that this was my calling, but I have felt something equally as strong and moving as such to do this. The purpose of this thread isn't to introduce you to my religion, but to ask for your thoughts and ideas so I may assimilate them into my own. I'm also open to any kind of criticism. This is what I have so far.

ETHICS:
No code of ethics, each person is to decide for themselves what is right and what is wrong, and act accordingly. However acting more evolved, however you may conceive the word, is highly looked up upon and would earn you a higher status within the society (like mormanism my religion would incorporate a new society into their religious beliefs), and acting less evolved may earn you a lower status.

THE SOCIETY:
My society will be unique in that everyone that is able to work will work, but receive no paycheck. However everything will be free to those who live in the city. Everyone able to do so will assist in building their homes, and there will be a selection of 10 or so house layouts that you can pick from, all equal in sq. ft. Even those with the highest rank, the mayor, and town officials will live in these homes. There will be electricity, AC, and all other appliances that come standard with a home. All objects for spam will be of the same brand, which will be cheap and eco-friendly.

CORE BELIEFS:
We are all one, there is no difference between one and another. Treat all as your brothers and sisters.
God makes up everything. God is all the energy, collectively, including you! You are a part of god.
Our being is of three parts, the mind, body, and soul. The soul, like god, is omnipotent, meaning it knows all things, but cannot experience them in the spiritual realm. Therefore it seeks to experience them through our physical bodies. The mind is the creative part of our being. When we have thoughts, we are creating how we experience what we are thinking about. There are many guidelines to thinking, like do not have expectations, that lead to a better life, which I have not yet hammered out. Our body is the tool of the trio, yet because it is a tool does not make it any less than the other 2 parts, they are all equally necessary. Our bodies are the being through which our soul experiences life, and through which the mind experiences what he creates.
There is no such thing as an objective right or wrong. They are subjective (meaning they can be interpreted differently) and should be looked at as such. However they can be somewhat necessary in times like today, where killers are rampant and countries threaten each other with weapons of mass destruction. If we didn't have these concepts, we wouldn't see unnecessary (which is also subjective) killing as 'bad' and wouldn't do something to stop it.
There is no true death, only the death of the ego occurs. Even traits of your body go with you. After the death of the ego and the physical body, we live on, most likely to reincarnate into a new being or to be one with the great spirit and experience nirvana. However if you choose the latter, you will only do so for some time (which is a relative subject to our souls after we have died) because if all you experienced was the greatest feeling imaginable, that would become the norm, and you would want to experience something else, something [i]new.[/i]

Well, thats what I have. Its not a lot but I think the few ideas I have are pretty solid and resonate well within most people.[/quote]

In the Name of Allah the Most Gracious the Most Merciful:
Why do you need to found a new religioun? You can practise all of those beliefs and have that society anyways.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:16 pm 

solid question sir Malak AlGennah

Last edited by Dr.Iron on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:47 pm 

[quote="Goldie"]No religion for me thank you ... way too dogmatic :D[/quote]

Peace be upon all.
"There is no compulsion in religioun."
-- Allah--

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:48 pm 

[quote="Dr.Iron"]sold question sir Malak AlGennah[/quote]

Peace be upon all.
Sold? What do you mean by sold?

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism