Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:13 am 

Greetings Elizabeth,

I certainly agree that when one changes their focus, they suddenly see all kinds of things that they hadn't seen before.

But I also have observed quantifiable changes here in the States that points to an increasing awareness of the traditional paths. Of course the traditional path has always been under our nose. The spirit world has always done its work through some sort of connection. Witches and the like, have certainly had a reverence for nature spirits, and certainly their traditions have been passed down from the traditional paths of European shamanism, the sybils, seidhs, and so forth. Nature has always called out to us...

But if we measure mainstream perception and interests through what is sold at your run-of-the-mill shopping center bookstores, for example, there has been a very noticeable change in focus. As I mentioned above, In the 60's and 70's books on Eastern mysticism and religion took up a large section of space. After leaving the US and returning in the 90's, I saw that this space had been largely taken over by books on Wicca. In fact, a lot of titles I still have in my library, have all but dissappeared from these shopping mall bookstores, and the Philosophy section became the New Age Section. There were very few books that one could find on shamanism, back then (both the 60's, 70's and 90's).

There were books about Native American traditions, but not the variety you see today, in fact, a number of writers such as Ed McGaa, writers that could be seen as the D. T. Suzuki or Alan Watts, of Native American traditions (in the sense of how they are introducing these traditions to the general white public), did not come along until relatively recently. (In fact, it was illegal for Native Americans to even practice their traditions until the 80's).

In the past 5 or 8 years the books on shamanism, and the earth traditions have exploded and have been gaining more and more shelf space. The Native American section of major bookstore chains has also grown immensely.

I searched for books on the traditional paths since early in the 70's. There have always been some good books which I still have in my library, Eliades' classic work on shamanism, is probably one of the best. There are the Carlos Castaneda books-----which, though the validity has come to question, got people to wonder and think about shamanism (I'll never forget reading these in the desert's of Chaco Canyon late at night, with an owl calling out in the dark, back in the 1970's...).

Not too many people are running off to Kathmandu these days. But each year you have many new schools of shamanism opening up.

I have been talking about this for probably 7 or 8 years now (and my observations of techno and trance music as perhaps a manifestation of an unconscious desire to return to that primal past). This same sentiment has been mirrored by other authors recently----including one author who claims that neo-shamanism is probably undergoing explosive growth because of its individualistic focus and lack of an institutional structure (Something that I strongly agree with).

As a social trend, it perhaps has something to do with the way technology is bringing about a new sense of individualism in global socitieties. But it could also have a lot to do with the dawning of the age of aquarius (I am referring to the 60's). The psychedelic experiences that opened people up... etc. etc. etc.

(It was foretold that when whiteman's youth imitates, dresses, and wears their hair like the indian, only then would they be their friend------Talking about my generation, talking about my generation... ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mountain Valley Wolf

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:19 am 

Let me also add---which I think speaks to your comments----seek and it shall be given-------or however that saying goes-----so I also agree with you on a different level, that if we seek out the traditional paths---they are there, and will come to us.

Mountain Valley Wolf

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:57 am 

Mountainvalleywolf

I would think that the hippies of the 60's and 70's were in some respects practicing some forms of shamanism, mixed with their temptations of drugs to speed up the process of journey work. Perhaps many still use the drugs for that same reason but I would have a guess that it is more of addiction that drives their urges in modern times. Personally I have never been interested with the drug or pot scene and steer far away from it, choosing the more hipnotic effects of fries and a burger at macdonalds with the kids having fun in the playground, whilst I relax with a cup of hot coffee!
Each to their own. I say, each to be responsible for the life they lead.

As far as book selling goes, I have noticed many books appear on the shelves because more people buy them and somewhere, someone is making bucket loads of money writing and selling them..... again I say each be responsible for the life you lead. Fads come and go but truth and integrity will always be perfect in every way. I choose truth and integrity and I know that this is a good place to relax!

Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 pm 

Cradleboard prophecy of the Kiowa Grandmothers:

"The cradleboard prophecy speaks of the coming alive of thousands of Rainbow Warriors of both sexes who will suddenly see manifested the dream of the Fifth World of Peace. We are now in this process during this age the Grandmothers called the Time of the White Buffalo. It is during this time that the teachings are to be released to those with ears to hear and eyes to see. The prophecy says that these Warriors of the Rainbow will remember their legacy and use it for the good of all the Children of Earth.Chief Two Trees of the Cherokee says that these people may be white on the outside but are red on the inside. I feel this is due to the fact that the Warriors of the Rainbow are Guardians of our Mother Earth, and they are our Red Ancestors returning to assist All Our Realations. The prophecy of the Cradleboard of Creation also says that Fire will come from the sky and hit the Earth Mother in the Water Nursery of Creation, or oceans. This cometlike object will fertilize the ovum of the Earth and recreate purity in all four Earth Clans. The Chiefs of Air, Earth, Water and Fire will be whole once again. The condensation from this interaction of Fire and Water will give us back our ozone. These prophecies will be fulfilled sometime between now and the year 2015."

From: Sacred Path Cards , the discovery of self through native teachings.
Author: Jaimie Sams

Good stuff huh?, There's more where that came from just ask and I'll post some more goodies!

Kodiak
8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:09 pm 

Jayson Kodiak

Indeed.
One drop at a time.

Best you take a good look around. :wink:

Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:06 am 

Hi Elizabeth,

I think much of the spiritual scene of the 60's and 70's still tended to be more of the Eastern mysticism and religion (Institutional based) mainly because that was the next obvious place to search for meaning. There were more resources available on Eastern philosophies. Drugs enhanced this search by the spiritual experience it created. I think it also paved the way for deeper more primal spiritualism such as shamanism---but the resources were just not there----except what was being learned from some of the Native American and perhaps some Central American medicine men. But it was the start of the process Kodiak related above.

I think that drugs are a powerful medicine and a gift of mother earth. However, I don't condone their use---except for by Siberian eskimo's, members of the Native American church, Central American shamans, etc. The reason is because in our modern Western culture we do not have the cultural context and the traditions, rituals, and respect for this medicine to use it properly. Recreational drug use is IRRESPONSIBLE, in part as it debases the spiritual experience. Perhaps this is why it does so much harm to people and societies. Why people become addicted, and suffer all kinds of health problems, including mental illness. Why crime seems to follow in its path. People speak, even on this site, of the dangers of working with spirits without kowledge, and traditions----well, that is certainly the case with drugs.

In fact, for many hippies in the 60's, there was a realization that the drug scene was getting too heavy, and what had started as experimentation, moved quickly into abuse.

I agree with you on your choice to avoid it. It is not neccessary to commune with the spirits. Though I do respect those who have the traditions, and do use those gifts of Mother Nature that are a part of their centuries-old spiritual traditions.

Mountain Valley Wolf

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:15 am 

Hi Kodiak,

Have you ever Google-searched, Native American Church? One of the first searches that comes up links you to one of the biggest NAC sites. On this site you can find links to the Words of the Elders. As I mentioned before there is a lot of talk of the elders regarding 2012.

The words that you shared with us from Grandmother Crow, on page 3, are pretty fascinating. It shed some light for me on some of the words of the elders.

Thank you,

Mountain Valley Wolf

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:56 am 

MountainValleyWolf

I met a spiritual lady a while ago. She was in a meditation group I attended back then. She would always excuse herself so that she could have s cigarette. She would say "Just going outside to do some internal smuging."

I always found that quite funny (as she intended it to be). I am not sure if that would leave one huffing and puffing whilst climbing up and down the staircase to heaven. What do you think?

Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:22 am 

Tobacco is a healing plant if used correctly....Elizabeth, the woman you speak of used it correctly so I feel that it was not harming her. I personally do "internal smudging with pipe tobacco which I feel is the purest form you can get of the stuff. The big tobacco companies are the ones who put all the "crap" and additives into Tobacco that makes it harmful. Plants are very healing and sometimes beneficial along a spiritual journey....Although I feel that they are not necessary for each ones journey. One could simply drink a cup of coffee a day and that would be the plant that assists them along their spiritual journey.

Mountainvalleywolf,
I have not googled the website that you wrote about but I will check it out and get back to you with more stuff about 2012, and my interpretation about some of the wisdom of the Elders.

Thank you,
KODIAK STARR OWL

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:15 am 

Kodiak

Perhaps a little like strong incense.
Utilised in moderation and with good intent.

Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:05 am 

Yes, if she really was doing internal smudging, then this is another example of abuse vs respect for a holy gift. A number of medicine men, such as Rolling Thunder speak of how tobbacco does not harm medicine men, because they do not abuse it or use it for recreation. I think Rolling Thunder mentioned something about how he had an understanding with the spirit of tobbacco or that his body rejected the harmful effects of it or something---I forget. But in any event, these people do not use it in an abusive way.

On the other hand, if this lady was just making a joke about her vice---then yes I could see her huffing and puffing :lol:

Of course I have my own vises----daily Starbucks, colas, and yes I have to have my occaisional hamburger, and french fries, or even better, a medium rare juicy steak!

Mountain Valley Wolf

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:50 am 

MountainValleyWolf

I guess the only way for one to know if the lady was as you put it "really was doing internal smudging", is to apply ones shamanic skills in asking the question and seeing what reply returns.
:D
Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:29 pm 

In regards to the woman who had to step outside to do her internal smudging, perhaps she won't be huffing and puffing up the staircase of heaven, but rather sharing the peace pipe with her loved ones and the ancient ones that have passed before her. Remember, Tobacco is worth more than gold to some spirits, because as I stated before it was a healing plant that they used in celebration ceremonies and rituals,....they still do to this day. Hmmmmmmmm.....Perhaps in 2012 everyone will smoke from the sacred peace pipe of the White Buffalo and that is what the event will be.....I see a lot of non-smokers doing internal smudging and coughing then saying "hey that's not so bad!" LOL! :D

Kodiak Starr Owl

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:17 am 

Jayson
What you say in your last post also applies to cremations.
Although it takes much longer to plough through the emotions of pain and loss in that regard.

Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:57 am 

Quite right Eizabeth, I agree.

Kodiak

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism