Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys

Post subject: Trouble journeying
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:46 pm 

I am having trouble journeying. I had read in Cave and Cosmos that it had taken someone about 8 months to finally be able to journey. I have been trying for a little over a year.

I seem to have some success at times but then nothing the next time I try. I do have images (usually of places) that will proceed like a slide show. No movement in them. Other times I will see a field of stars that I seem to be moving thru. Two days ago I saw an entrance to a cave but everything stopped when I tried to move towards it.

A few weeks ago I had an image of a male lion coming up to me and rolling over on its back like a cat that was playing. This startled me and and I came back to ordinary consciousness.

Am I expecting too much? Are the above a limited success?

any suggestions will be welcome. A workshop that someone can recommend? Are there any that have had success with my problem?

Thanks,
Gary

Post subject: Re: Trouble journeying
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:46 am 

Hi Gary,

Not everybody can do what you call journeying. It involves getting into an altered state. That state is half way between your ordinary state and being pretty well out of it.

You don't want to be so out of it where you can't control what's happening.

Different people have different ideas of how to do it all. For me, the best thing is to have a teacher who was himself or herself taught by real shamans who know what they are doing. That way they can guide you.

And finally watch out for "visions" which are merely imaginative constructions.

It's not easy.

Good luck,

Mac

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:10 am 

Hey Gary,

Your post gave me quite a bit of nostalgia! My progress started pretty much just like your's by the sound of it.

I haven't posted much on this forum, but when I did I was having trouble journeying just like you.

Also just like you, I first had images like a slideshow. I again had the same experience with seeing a cave entrance, I even saw the other side of the tunnel but in my excitement I came out of the experience.

So from my experience, yes what you mentioned is limited success, but also in a way I believe you are expecting to much, or rather perhaps you are letting your expectations get in the way.

It wasn't until about 3 years after my initial 'calling' that I had my first full-fledged journey while I was taking a course with a Shaman.

Discovering how going on a journey feels for you is a journey in and of itself and I wish you the best of luck,

Alexander

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:31 pm 

Hi Gary,
I'm afraid I'm a bit more optimistic than the other posters. I too have read Cave and Cosmos and have met the author. I don't believe Michael Harner would expect you to keep at it for that long to achieve a result! I have produced podcasts with my target audience specifically the beginner (www.makingconnectionswithin.com)--they are free; maybe they will help. In your post I found it exciting that you are actually seeing things, and more than that, that you saw an animal that was friendly to you! In my experiences I have come to believe that the spirits want to see that you are genuinely dedicated to getting in touch with them, because it is a serious relationship you will be developing. :) Hope this helps.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys