Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys

Post subject: Traveling into the lower world
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:04 am 

I have been attempting to travel into the lower world using the Michael Harner method. I was encouraged to this because I have had a few friends have success using this method. But there's something telling me that this method just isn't the one for me. That my own imagination is to over bearing to vision myself going down a hole and the tunnel appearing. I have heard of another method. Where you just sit there staring into the blackness of your closed eyes, focused on you intent. In my case, visiting the lower world and meeting my power animal. Just laying there like I have been doing letting the drum beat. Allowing my body to pulse with it. And just keep focus with it to happen. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this or if anyone knows of another method that is known to have success that they could share with me. I'd really appreciate all and any help. thank you.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:24 am 

Methods may be many. One spontaneus journey started once, when I was meditating with candle, staring the flame, allowing myself to blend with fire and rise up. This was actually to be upperworld journey, but anyway there is number of methods, which use monotonous movement, sound, flame, smoke, visualization or mandalas or whatever which works. Main things is to shut up the dialogue of mind and switch brainwaves into alpha level (scientists say so about alphawaves, when studied trancestate) And of course strong intention should be there, when learning the basics.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:01 pm 

be patient, jookyle, and be consistent. Just because it doesn't happen like you THINK it should happen, doesn't mean it's not happening.

Journeying does have a lot to do with imagination... as long as you are not thinking about the journey as it goes along. This is the mind trying to control the journey. Just simply allow it to happen in whatever form it takes.

A few helpful suggestions:
- drink a glass of tepid water before journey work
- do not eat a large meal before journey work (you'll fall asleep)
- sitting up is sometimes better
- ground or center yourself first
- allow plenty of time, say 30 minutes, although you may not need all that time
- do find a good drumming or rattle CD that sounds good to you (not all do)
- make certain the space you are going to work in is calming
- open sacred space BEFORE and close it AFTER you journey
- always, always, always give thanks no matter what happens

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:02 pm 

Do you think it is nesacarry to think of the hole in the ground though? I really think that part is what it being my "road block"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:13 am 

I may have just had success. it felt like what was happening was coming from me and from somewhere else. That I was both in my head and something was taking over. If it happened I have met my power animal.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:08 am 

jookyle,
I read your post about your journey. Usually, when your animal comes, it does it 3 times... which seems to have happened in your journey.

You can always go back into this journey and call Wolf to you. Just do not go with any preconceived ideas or expectations.

The first animal that came to me I thought was my Power Animal. It later turned out to be my Spirit Guide, and it introduced me to my Power Animal.

Some people have more than one; some change over time; and others stay for a long long time. Read about Wolf. See what resonates with you. You have been blessed by a wonderful energy.

yes - go with it!
:D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:24 pm 

I went again last night. And directly conversed with him. Asked questions, got some answers. I could also feel the world. I could feel the fire on my face and body. And he licked me. I could feel it on my forehead.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:33 am 

Do you find better to make journey's everyday? or do you think it is okay, or even beneficial to not for a day?

On my journey tonight, I pushed my head with his head. I could feel the warmth of his head on mine. and my head was actually pushed.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:03 am 

jookyle wrote:
Do you find better to make journey's everyday? or do you think it is okay, or even beneficial to not for a day?

You can become "addicted" to journey work, as it is such an amazing place! :shock:

But it can be overdone. In the beginning, it is good to familiarize yourself with setting intent, how to go, how to get back, and understanding your Power Animal or Spirit Guide. But you also need time to process what you have experienced, and what you are being taught.

It's hard to say how often or how little you should journey. It all depends on what you are working on and your intent. And you certainly do need days where you do not journey, simply because you should understand what you learned in the previous journey before you go again.

But the best teacher for you will be Wolf. Ask Wolf.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:02 am 

I like the garden method myself. It's where you don't start in the upper or lower world, but of a world that is your own. It's in this area that you go up or down in, and also where you can talk with friends and guides.
Just go into your dream body and make your way there.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:39 pm 

Hi,

I agree with Rachara El, you need time to process what you have learned. I would take it easy and only journey every few days if you are first meeting your power animal.

You may also start seeing your power animal in your real life (photos in magazines, on TV, etc) as you become more in alignment with it. In fact, it's a good idea to get a representation of it (photo, statuette, etc) to keep with you, and look at it often. This will continue to align you with it, and make it easier for you to communicate with it.

Good luck. Sounds like you are making excellent progress.

Kara

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys