Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys

Post subject: Sleep paralysis and journeying
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:50 pm 

Hello everyone,

I am new to shamanism and like many others who have wrote on this forum, I too am having difficulty journeying. I have tried many times and although I have noticed an altering of state while I try to journey, the visions or journey itself seem to elude me.

I've read that when people have OBE's they induce sleep paralysis to "escape" there bodies. I've also heard that when in sleep paralysis people can enter dreams, have visions, journey, etc.

My question is, is inducing sleep paralysis a good way to journey, and if so does anyone have some tips on how to do this.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:33 pm 

I don't think sleep paralysis is possible without some kind of drug. You can lucid dream, that's safe and natural, but there are many other ways of working a journey.
Use drumming or music if your not already. Actually drum while entering a trance. Do a bit of a dance. Take a shower first. Work out or go for a run for about a half hour. Get a couple meditation tapes off iTunes. Read a book on shamanism. Eat a salad first.
All these and more will help you slip easily into a trance.
But I believe that your problem might be that your over eager. If you try to throw yourself in (even if you don't think you're forcing it) it won't happen.
Just take things really slow. Visualize everything really really really thoroughly until you can use all your senses in the journey.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:25 am 

Iron,

Here is something I want you to try. Have a friend take you to a few movies over the next few weeks. But make sure he tells you nothing about them.

Watch the movies and maybe half way through decide if you are allowing the movie to play for you or not

Get some practice allowing the movie to play. Journeying will be snap. It is about allowing the vision to play.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:40 am 

Ay, I've done the same with books.

You can read and get the full experience or just look at the words, and not feel anything.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:32 pm 

I still get stunned at some of the responses here.

Sleep paralysis can happen without drugs. It's an effect of inter dimensional time displacement. Your body is in one time constant as "you" are in another. Naturally your involuntary body functions will keep you alive so there's nothing to worry about as long as you didn't set yourself up for a possession.

It can be a bit alarming at the return part of your journey when you and your body are coming back into alignment and you try to move but can't. Relax and let it work itself out.

Don't try to force a journey. It's like running down the train tracks. The desire to have a journey puts you at the station. The train will come.

Post subject: interesting
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:07 pm 

i have sleep apnea i've been told .............and i wonder if it's during those episodes where i don't breathe in my sleep is when i am having an out of body 'dream' or journey......
i do remember once having a hard time trying to get back into my body it was a weird 'dream' or journey .....still don't know if it was a dream or a really had problems getting back in and it seems to me when i did finally get back in i took a big deep breath and a sigh of relief......

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:37 am 

That would happen to me too. The other thing was I would try to make any kind of sound and couldn't. I couldn't move or use my voice. When I finally could make a sound it seemed to align the time sequencing of me and my body.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:08 pm 

hey hawk......it seems in the morning hours during rem sleep when just around the time i become aware of myself dreaming the morning urge to pee forces me out of bed instead of being able to continue being consciously aware of my dream state ..because as soon as i change positions or get out of bed i loose the dream......and never can get back to it ...but sometimes nights later the dream may continue where it left off......it's so fascinating i wish i could become aware of myself dreaming more often without being interupted by needing to go to the bathroom or the alarm clock...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:03 am 

Hello Alexander!

I wrote a bit called "Information on Sleep Paralysis" in the journeying section. It covers what it is, how it happens, and some stuff that might help you if you want try it out. If it sounds super scary, it wasn't meant to be - that's just the disclaimer. Good luck with your journeying.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys