Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys

Post subject: question about journey length
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:13 am 

Tonight I went to a journey to visit my power animal. I had a specific task in mind and one or two questions as well. I made it to the lower world in record time and both questions and the task was finished. I did not want to impose on my animal so I left. It had felt as if it had lasted 15 or so mins. It had really only been 5(almost 6) mins. The drumming track was only a third over. Is that okay? It seems weird to have ended it so early. Although, it only seemed weird after I saw how little time had passed. Not while it was happening or ending.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:05 am 

The length of clock time in a journey is irrelevant. When we journey we step out of 3D time and enter: what some would call Dream Time. When I meditate the time varies tremendously (from a few minutes to a few hours) depending on the purpose of the journey or meditation. Average time is only 5 to 20 minutes. When we dream, most of the dream takes place in the last few seconds before we wake. Clock time does not exist in dream time. When I put the intention out to receive an answer to a question – sometimes I receive an answer instantly without even meditating. But in saying that - spirit does not always give you an answer. Spirit will give you questions to think about.

I had difficulty with mental clarity and it was very much in the forefront of my mind. After about three months I was hit with a barrage of questions from spirit world. As fast as I could write, I had 33 questions about mental clarity. The first being: What was my definition of mental clarity. I spent the next several months answering those questions.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:15 am 

Agreed, if you were drumming for yourself or had someone drumming there with you, you would know how long was long enough and bring yourself back safely. Sounds like you were learning more than you set out to.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:13 am 

allow me to clarify something:

When you journey, there is no TIME.

The shaman is not bound by the usual rules, and moves between the worlds, beyond time, out into the unknown. From there, the shaman encounters things that have no relation to Time as is understood in the OR. That's why it may seem like much has happened, when in OR, only a few minutes have passed by. And that is also why it's helpful to not be caught up in the notion that you are imposing on your animal or wasting the time or ending "early" to get back to OR.

The Journey is the journey and much critical information must be transferred during the journey. You may not understand it, but that's why you come back to OR - to assimilate what you were given and shown.

Only here in the OR is TIME... and it really is useless until you master it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:59 am 

Don't your dreams at night feel like they're days long but only last a moment?
Same thing really.
I had an incredibly powerful trip to the underworld to regain my lost courage and energy and it was only 10 minutes long.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys