Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys

Post subject: Power Animals
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:35 pm 

I guess I've been confused about power animals, because there really are so many that turn up in my life at different times.

For the last three years, it's been birds of all kinds, but crows have dominated. They've competed hardest for my attention. But other birds, many, have come to me in odd and conspicuous ways, numerous times, not to mention the Alipine Chough I saw first in my dreams, then in Ottawa, then in a small town 12 hours drive away from Ottawa.

For awhile some years ago, it was a racoon - she understood English, either that or she could read my mind. I'll tell that story sometime soon.

Then it was a fox who followed me around, and unfortunately perished very soon thereafter. I can't stand to think about that.

The crows have protected me. Some heartbreaking stories there too. They continue to look out for me.

I guess of all the animals, the crows are the most persistent and consistent. Seagulls come in second. The little gray jay makes sure he gets noticed as well.

Anyway, without further adeau, here is a link to an excellent article that can shed some clarity on power animals.

I guess they all have different things to teach us, at different times. I feel strongly that Cyrs latest post, regarding being bitten by a snake is a really compelling testament to this position, with respect to different power animals appearing at critical times in our lives as astonishing demonstrations of "as within so without".

We may even see a lot of magic happen right there in the forum.

Article then:

http://www.spiritanimal.info/how-to-find-spirit-animal/

And another:

http://funkman.org/animal/main/atquestions.html

Post subject: Re: Power Animals
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:52 am 

Personally I think that our animals are not always the same ones throughout our whole lives. Sure one or two may remain the same for a long time, but others tend to come and go from our lives as we and our circumstances change. And still there are others that seem to pop up only very briefly just to serve one little purpose or other at any given time.

The red fox was the first of the power animals that I discovered on my own path, at the time I first began to follow it (long before I knew exactly what it was I was being led to learn and follow at all.) Foxes, I came to realize, when I finally stopped to consider this after i really began to learn, are both sneaky and opportunistic. A fox will find a way to get into and out of so many places that one might not think to concern themselves over. They may well dig under a fence or find a way into a barn, because the opportunity presented itself. It's that kind of opportunistic and determined thinking toward a goal, that I both tend to follow myself in life, and that at other times I need that reminder of.

Far more recently a bluebird started to appear when I did anything non-physically. It took me a while to work out exactly what it was that he was meant to represent, but finally I started to make sense of it. I realized finally that first and foremost a bird sings endlessly. He has something to "say" and doesn't care what the rest of nature and the world thinks. Oddly enough I can almost picture a bird voicing his opinions openly and somewhat loudly no matter if anyone listens or not. I realized that in part he is teaching me to "sing" my own "song" and not worry about what one might think. Also a bird can of course fly. From that it's easy to see the connection to the idea of flying free and with confidence that I will not fall from the sky so to speak.

Lately deer have been showing up all the time. That one is a bit different in that I am also seeing then in physical existence as well as non-physical. I see vivid visions of deer sometimes when I close my eyes to sleep. Also I've seen them get close to my apartment building in the evening. Once a couple of them stopped int he back alley and just seemed to calmly look at my car before staring right at me, as I drove up. Of course I stopped to let them get out of the way, but they were certainly not in any rush to leave. I've encountered deer lately enough to know there is some significance, but I have yet to work out exactly what they are trying to tell me.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:09 pm 

The gist I'm getting from your post is that you figure shyness isn't serving you anymore.

Try this experiment with birds if you want. Next time your out walking, listen to their bird songs. Then look for the bird who's singing the song you hear. If, after looking, you can't see it, ask it to come out. Ask outloud if no one's around. Ask in your mind, if people are around, because they'll think your nuts.

I found, either way, the birds always came out, 8 times out of 10. It took longer if I had to ask in my mind though.

Eventually, I learned to identify different bird songs. At that point, when I heard a song I would simply say "cardinal", or "robin", or "finch", or "sparrow" and the bird would almost always appear - the right bird on top of that.

I would love to see if that works for you as well, because this is how I came to believe that birds are telepathic and they just love it when people pay attention to them and recognize them.

How do the deer make you feel when you see them?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:35 am 

I saw the deer again the night before last. This time one was running right along the far end of main-street, obviously heading toward the edge of this little city's downtown. (More seem to be wandering into towns and cities all the time now in the past few years. Sad to think that we humans are building subdivisions on land that animals once called home, leaving them no choice but to look for food near the traffic.) In any case, when I saw this one though, I paid closer attention to the association to it. The reaction I got was the feeling of power and strength and speed, yet at the same time, gentleness and grace. There is, I am now learning a lot to be learned from the deer. The ability to be powerful and respected without being noisy or aggressive, the ability to get where you need by simply running fast enough and not stopping instead of though endless competition over every single thing.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys