Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys

Post subject: New at this, hitting a road block
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:03 am 

Let me start off my asking for a little grace if my questions seem strange or simple, or if I misuse the accepted terminology.

I’ve been interested in Shamanism for a while, and a few years ago I picked up “The way of the shaman” and shortly after a drumming CD with both single and double drumming on it. I only read the first couple of chapter in the book because I was afraid that if I read to much my imagination would cause the effect vs seeing what I was destine to see.

I started out by attempting to enter the under-world by entering a hole in the ground, but when that didn’t seem to go any where I tried a tree on my property that had a missing limb. Attempting to travel in the hole and down threw the age bands to the roots. I seemed to have settled on a group of Muskrat holes that I use to watch as a child. It is a series of 5 holes with caverns inside.

I was making what I would consider progress, sense of being pulled like in a vacuum but I always seem to get startled out of the experience when it started.

As of late I have tried to focus on these white flashes I see after calming myself with the drums usually takes about 15 min. After following these flashes I get a circle of clarity in my vision and have been able to watch things happening inside it, although the often lack detail. Then about 3 months ago I saw some shadowy type figures that appeared to be looking back at me. They would pace back and forth like they were having a conversation and then everything seemed to stop.

I have a few questions,

Do I need to have a question or intent?
What if I just want to practice and sharpen my skills so when I do need the skills I have them?
Could I be listening to the drums to long, (ex going nowhere but just focusing on the drums?)
I have a very good imagination, which worries me, I’m I causing the effect or actually observing some new?
I read here about bringing gift/offerings to the spirits (are these real gifts or are they images that you bring with you as I attempt to enter the under-world?

Unfortunately I have been kinda running solo and I hope maybe I mite get some answers here.

Thanks

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:47 am 

Your trying too hard,this is causing interference between you and your guide,relax,your guide is established,your intent is to travel,dont get so hung up on what the book says,dont try to interpret so much it will only cause undue baggage that you'll have to unlearn later,pay your respects to your guide every day even if you dont know who or what that is,our ignorance is no excuse for a lack of grace,as you learn to quiet you mind you will be led,your guide can only give you what your ready to recieve,in the end you may find that what works for you has not been written yetgive the respect that you would want to recieve if the positions were reversed,your a teacher trying to mhelp a deaf and dumb and retarded adult,respect helps always but it is no guarantee of ability,if the ability is there then the knowledge will come if it is not then you will be more aware of yourself and your limitations,Remember the journey is yours,noone can experience it for you or like you and advise is just so much noise on the wind,learn all you can and keep the salt shaker handy,keep the best and throw out the rest,sometimes we dont bloom until we stop concentrating on our selves and start thinking about others,then your guides riding a horse through a field at full gallop with you holding the tail,dont be disapointed if it doesnt work the way you think or hear about.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:28 am 

Hi Muskrat,

Anthony makes some very good points.

Second, I hope you have set a clear intention. That intention for a first journey really should be to meet your power animal. It is truly not wise just to go there just to "explore". No one should journey just to explore. Always set a very clear intention. Intention helps to keep us safe.

Some people find it difficult to go down the hole. In fact, an easier way to do it for some people is to imagine themselves in a forest clearing with a stream and near the sea. Invite the animals, birds, and fish to join you in the clearing. Eventually one will come and begin to make it clear that it is the power animal, the special one. Ask it to show you its world. Then, trust what happens.

Before you do this, set up a sacred space. Choose a well-organized, clean space in which you are very comfortable. Light a candle. Watch it burn. Spend some time in this "space" in a quiet and meditative head space. Try to clear some of the racket of the day and endless brain chatter from your head.

It's wonderful that you have a great imagination. Imagination is the "telephone line" to the world of spirit. Separating the imagination from the world of spirit is a long process that takes many people a long time. Almost everyone initially thinks that they are just "making it up". Welcome to the crowd!

The key is to persist. Eventually things will start to happen in the journeys and in ordinary reality that you just know cannot be your imagination. It takes the time it takes for this to happen, sometimes years....and years. Don't push it; don't get frustrated; just keep on working.

Slowly, or perhaps not so slowly, spirit will start to reveal itself as the essence of your being. Trust that this will happen at the rhythm that spirit wants it to happen, not necessarily at the rate/rhythm that you want it to happen.

When I use the word "you", I mean your ego, your self-identity in the world. In a well-integrated personality, ego and spirit can sit comfortably together in the same "room" as long as they have a very deep respect for each other. Ego cannot force spirit. On the other hand, spirit can devastate ego if it decides to.

And that's why I would once again return to my second point - set a clear journey intention to meet your power animal - don't journey just to randomly explore. There's stuff out there you don't need/want to meet unless you have your power animal and other guiding spirits to protect you.

May your spirits guide you and protect you.

Chris

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:43 pm 

When I see a circle of clear vision would that be called third eye seeing?

Post subject: Circle of clear vision/third eye seeing
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:25 am 

Again, along the lines of the previous posts, don't get hung up on jargon and what you think you "should" be seeing. The experience is unique for each of us. Go with it and trust your spirit guides; if you have a clear intention, the answers will be clearer for you.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:50 pm 

Muskrat,

I agree with terryjca, don't get too hung up on what you think you are supposed to be seeing.

First find your power animal for protection when you go to the lower world then - practice, practice, practice. You definitely should always have a general intent before you go, that's what protects you.

It's normal to take awhile to get going, it's a new thing. Let your imagination relax.

I always enter the lower by water if that helps - a stream, lake or trickle.

I have a blog where I post journeys that I do for others, and the things I "see" but you will experience your stuff, and that's how it should be.

Kara
www.conduitofjoy.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:12 am 

That was the most Shamanic response I've heard here yet. Nice work Miss.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys