Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys

Post subject: My first journey ?'s
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:54 pm 

Hello all! This is my first post, and I have always felt a calling to something, but didn't know what it might be. I met my father for the first time back in November in a small town in rural Alaska. One of my aunts that I met told me about my grandfather, who was a shaman.

I began research on shamanism, bought a few books, and the first that I have read is "The Way of the Shaman," by Michael Harner. I also purchased the solo and double drumming solos on his website.

Anyway, last night I decided to try to take my first journey using only drums. I tried focusing on a hole that I knew of in the ground, but I was taken back to Alaska in my mind. It took me down a rabbit or fox hole in the ground and snow, which turned into a long vertical tunnel with a waterfall on one side that I could feel the water with my fingertips.

Next, without warning, I was climbing a small set of black rocks. When I saw myself reach the top of the rock, my entire vision changed to a small secluded beach with plants and one palm tree. I asked the tree one question and I received an answer. When the answer was over, I immediately found myself swimming in the lagoon by the beach.

Finally, a whale began to take me straight down into the sea while I held his back fin. This was when I had made a decision that I needed to come out of this journey and close the door.

My questions:
1. I seemed to have a lot of difficulty separating my mind from my body. Is this normal for new people, or is this the way it is?
2. Is it possible to talk to anything in these worlds, or was I just letting my mind make things up?
3. For people that use drums, do you begin to not hear the drums anymore while you are in your journey? When the whale took me down, I noticed that I could not hear the drum beat anymore until I made the decision to come back.
4. Lastly, is there something that I may be missing or doing wrong in the more experienced eyes?

Thank you to all, and I look forward to speaking with all of you.
Sincerely,
RobE

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:38 am 

1. Moving your awareness to the astral plane is not easy initially. Take some time before you make an effort to 'travel' to relax your physical body. Focus on your feet, then your legs then up to your head until your body feels like it is too heavy to move. Take your time (20 - 40 min) doing this but STAY AWAKE.
Then start your journey.

2. Yes, you can talk to anything. In those worlds and in this world we all live in. Everything is alive.

3. Yes, the sound of the drum will blend into a background hum when you are traveling.

4. Just keep practicing and keep a written record of everything. Most things will not make sense; initially.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:10 am 

Almost every person who tries this for the first time thinks they are making it up. We need to redefine imagination as AN IMAGE RECEIVING DEVICE rather than as an image generating device. Then the problem will go away.

Chris

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:21 am 

Good thoughts. Thanks for yalls input. I really do appreciate it. I will try again tonight but after a 30 minute deep thought session. It is hard to get my mind to turn off it seems most of the time.

Post subject: Keep going! Good work!
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:54 am 

Hi RobE,

First of all let me congratulate you for having the courage and curiousity to start journeying! Above all, trust yourself. While you can get advice from others, ultimately trust your inner knowing, and reject anything which "feels" wrong. You have as much innate power as anyone else. All you need is practice for your process.

1. While I'm not exactly sure what you mean, it does take practice to let your mind go off on its own. Just keep practicing. Relaxation exercise will help.
2. Yes, not only can you talk to "anything", but anything at all can happen to you. Don't judge anything that happens, just observe. I don't engage my rational mind at all when I'm journeying. Using your "rational" mind will interrupt the flow of information to you. Also, it will dimish your belief which is not helpful.

I just write it all down as soon as I come back. If I need to analyze anything, I do it after.
3. I don't even use drums anymore. But some have reasons for using drums (ie. so you don't get lost, etc.). Use them while you are still learning.

4. Sounds like you are doing everything right. My biggest recommendation is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. First you can work on your own stuff, but if it's possible, it is really good to learn to work in a group, or at least doing journeys for others. This rewards you by verifying that your findings are accurate, and also helps the other person. Sometimes in a group everyone has a similar journey.

Keep going and reach out if you need help. If you want to read some the journeys I have done for others, they are posted on my blog.

Good luck, and have fun.

Kara

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:12 pm 

Thank you Kara. I will look at your site in a sec. If yall don't mind me asking, how long have you been practicing? I'm just curious as to know some other people's thoughts and how long it takes people to get to certain levels. I am 31 and I don't mind starting this at this age. It seems to me that I needed to mature a bit before coming to this, and oddly enough, it seems that it wouldn't have come to me until now anyway. Thanks again.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:28 pm 

I had my first spontaneous projection back at the age of 13. I am past 40 now.

There is no right time to start. Where you get to depends entirely on you. Just remember that you are supposed to be 'here' for now so dont get any funny ideas to 'wander off' when you reach somewhere 'nicer'; you might be tempted to do so. Possibilities are almost endless.

Of course, there is also the chance that you transfer awareness just outside your physical body for long enough for your etheric sheath to begin to spin and rip free.. if that happens, you will not jouney far, but boy will you remember it as no other experience will convince you more of the veracity of Madonna's famous lyrics: 'we are spirits in a material world'.. and you will probably meet 'others' wandering nearby too..

If you ever find yourself rolled-up like a carpet - drop me a line.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:41 pm 

Ok, will do. hehe Thanks for the input. I wish I knew if I'm doing everything correctly or not, but I guess that will come with time.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:12 pm 

Everything takes time, It's just a matter of doing it right way. I also has very problems when i started some time ago but now improving day bu day.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:24 pm 

I was kind of thinking that it would get better the more that I do this. I can't wait until I am experienced enough to be able to work in the other worlds without tons of effort. I tried again last night, but it seemed bad the entire time, and I never got very far. I finally gave up after a few bad entrances (I don't know if they truly were bad, but I got a really bad vibe about them) so I stopped for the night. One entrance was in the sea at dark with a massive storm throwing waves everywhere about 1 mile off of the coast where I frequently fish. Another sent me straight into a dark swamp where there was nothing there but columns and swamp water. That's when I stopped.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:31 pm 

Robe, find and memorise or imagine a place that you like and feel safe in. Somewhere like a peaceful glade / garden or something. Open your door or pass through a hole expecting to enter that place initially - keep it firmly in your mind and make it your intention to travel to other places only from there.

To start with, just spend time there and see if you get any visitors.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:34 pm 

Thank you NV. I will try that. I have one place that pops into mind when I read your post. It is an island that I go to almost every weekend. I will try that. The only problem is that there is no hole or door there that I can really think of.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:41 pm 

Initially, as your body turns to lead and you feel yourself floating, imagine that door or hole - it will not be difficult in that state. Then open / go through and see yourself reaching that island. In time you will feel whatever breezes there are, the ground beneath your feet, hear waves if nearby and smell the salt air. Spend some time just at that location - make it yours.

My place is a forest clearing that has a lump of rock in the center where I sit and wait for one of my guides to come along. I am then, usually, taken on trips according to whatever I need at the time. I have used the same astral place since I was 14.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:59 pm 

Wow, ok cool. I will try that. Thanks NV!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:18 pm 

the sound of drumming, brings you in some sort of a trance to get connected with the realms, the outher wordls, begind the vissible world.
This can be very deep, so deep that you feel it on the body, mind, soul and spirit level. This will need some practice to recognize wich part is travelling the most. (an out of body experience, an extrordinary bright mind with insights, the soul travelling in to the lower, middle our upper world, our spirit, meeting the power of the universes).

Often before going into the alterstate of mind, the trance, you have a to have a question, the world off the realms is big!
Other wise it would like going for the first time into a big city without a map, and you could get lost in the enormes ovekill of information their.
You would like to have an answer for this or that, or you would like to meet some spirit or totemanimal.
If your grandfather was a shaman, maybe you can ask for his gidance, to show off on you, and if you have a question for hi, you also can ask for an answer. This way you can train your selves on the different levels of body, mind, soul and spirit at the same time.
Wich you nice yourneys, but try to stay in contact with the ordinary world also.
Dont ruch it, you have your whole live ahead of you.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys