Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys

Post subject: Lower Journey Fear?
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:54 am 

I'm a newbie practitioner and I'm hoping if someone could help on this matter.
When going for lower world journey I find it quite easy to find my portal and start sinking into it. But when I feel the "realness" of the journey, when I start to experience falling or the feel of being in a river, when I start to feel more of the other world than ours I have some sort of a fear/chill. Fear of completely letting go of my physical body. I try and I try to enter, but the second I feel that I'm almost there I start to feel unsecure. The fear is not from the Lower world, it’s from letting go of this one. I feel that I'm not allowed to enter because of that fear.
Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Lower Journey Fear?
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:04 am 

First of all, why are you trying to journey? Have you set your intent or purpose for the journey? Have you opened sacred space so that you have a protected space within which to journey? Have you called on your power animal or spirit guide to guide you during the journey?

Maybe this is why you encounter the fear: you are not prepared.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:13 am 

Rachara El wrote:
First of all, why are you trying to journey? Have you set your intent or purpose for the journey? Have you opened sacred space so that you have a protected space within which to journey? Have you called on your power animal or spirit guide to guide you during the journey?

Maybe this is why you encounter the fear: you are not prepared.

Thank you very much Rachara El! I think you are absolutely right! The reason I want to go on a journey is the experience itself. The reason I started reading about shamanism was that I had a lot of dreams with different animals and each one of them had a profound meaning for my life. I had experiences like seeing 3 days in a row a sparrow with a green grasshopper in it's mouth on my bathroom window staring at me as I take shower. (still haven't figured the meaning that message). You can say that shamanism came to my life, not the other way around. The more I read the more I feel that one way or the other I'm connected with all this. No I haven't connected with my power animal, but I have all the "symptoms" of having one. I don't ever get sick, I always feel energetic, all that I start ends with a complete success, I have an amazing "luck" of always being it the right place at the right time, most of the time I feel really happy just because I'm alive and I can enjoy this amazing place that we live in (btw I live in Bulgaria, and feeling happy here it's quite the challenge :) ). Sometimes I have those "happiness attacks" where out of the blue with no specific reason a get this flow of energy and excitmen that I just scream "Oh YEAH!" in public or do a 2-3 sec. nerdy dance :) and start walking with a huge smile on my face :) . I'm just starting to notice things that have always been around me, but in a way I have never payed them enough attention. I think the main reason I'm failing is of poor preparation which has to do with the book I use for a guide: The Way of the Shaman (Michael Harner). I'll try to find a better book, but if anyone can recommend one, that is something like "practical guide to shamanism" :) not tons of stories about different tribes around the planet all trying to convince me of that the shamanic reality is real and just a few lessons on shamanic practices. I KNOW it's real I just need to tools...
Thank to everyone who has read my post!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:57 am 

It is very easy to find books on shamanism... but it's a totally different thing to learn from books. There is a lot of good information in them, but what you need is a direct teacher - whether it be a human or spirit.

You can do the exercises suggested in the books, and they may lead you to your Teacher. Be patient and persevere. Good luck with your quest.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:11 am 

I don't think there's anything wrong with a little fear, maybe apprehension is a better word, while starting out. A lot of fear in the spirit world can be toxic, if it creeps up pull out. Besides that get a guide and do your homework.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys