Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys

Post subject: Journeying to the Drum
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:31 pm 

Hi! I have been journeing for 20 years years or more. I learned at a weekend seminar on the Harner Core Shamanism method. I usually journey to eith my own drum beat or to drumming CDs. I work with a number of helping spirits of which Bear is my oldest friend. I also work with an inner guide whom I meet in the upper world. I have had a great deal of success working with my 'friends' and have taught others to do so. Journeying has soved many issues for me, allowed me to help resolve community issues in ways not available to many and has allowed me from time to time to participate is some rather amazing healings. I look forward to talking with others who already know how to journey and those who have a desire to do so. Thanks, Dennis

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:13 am 

Hi!!

I really like journeying to the sound of the drum. I tend to go deeper if I do not have to drum for myself, but that is not a strict rule. I also like to journey to the sound of the didjeridoo and the rattle.

I have taken my drumming circle into the recording studio twice, and each time we came away with wonderful recordings. It is not that expensive to do and I would highly recommend it for any group. It changes the journey for me in the sense that I seem to be able to connect with the drums personally, making it more intense.

I like the rattles for different work. I use trance postures. Anyone else use trance postures? They can be very intense and some of the postures are very hard to hold.

A group favorite is Grandfather Bear, a simple computer search will give you some ideas (and maybe an image) as to how to do it. This is one posture that goes very well with the drum. The size of the group will determine the number of drummers I have. The posture is a standing one, the drummers weave in and out creating a pulsating intensity with the drum.

Drums are great!!! Simply inequivocably... GREAT!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:41 am 

Hey,
I'm totally into the practice of the Drum. I can journey or do other work without, but the drum is my 'horse' so to say.
I believe her to have a personality and spirit and always approach her as if I would approach a sister, a friend or a wife. Total respect.

I have journeyed towards her and she has shown herself to me, even gave me an appropriate name to call her. I will not divulge.

She even dictates the drawing that has to be made on her (could this be a tatoo?).

I've also made divinations by listening to a message from the drum. The drum can speak to us. Listen, listen and listen to the sound and have the right question/intention and you may hear her speak. It's absolutely amazing when this occurs.

Post subject: Drum
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:15 pm 

Hi,
I'm not much into Native American ways, however, I have on two occasions had significant shifts during drum circle participations. Both times, the drumming became a single tone that I seemed to ride. Upon asking about this later, the facilitator told me that had to do with horses. My feeling was that that comment relayed his personal experience.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:05 pm 

I have taken several weekend intensives with the Michael Harner Foundation including, but not limited to the Beginner's Workshop and Death, Dying, and Beyond. I have done some psychopomp work and teach journeying classes at my shop.

I love working with my drum and find I can best journey when someone is drumming or I am listening to a drumming tape. I also like to dance out my journeys in the form of my power animal.

On another note, I read the address 214 Sullivan St. NYC. I grew up in the Village on Bleecker corner of Sullivan and 214 used to be the Childrens Aid Society and the Morrisini Club. I spent a lot of my childhood in those buildings. I'd love to come back and see what is there now.
Starlyn

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:08 am 

I have been journeying by drum for a good number of years now. My first experience with journeying was an experiment, and was induced by ecstatic dancing, I quickly met a wolf spirit and was incredibly amazed at the experience. The next day I ordered Harner's drumming CD.

I used to be somewhat skeptical at what was happening----was it all just a creation in my mind??? But I would recieve knowledge on the journey that later proved right or significant. I would meet a wise old man on my journeys whose name is Alo Mong---I was told that this name had significance. Months went by, and I combed through Ural-Altaic lexicons, Lakota, Cherokee, and other dictionaries----until one day I learned that the name was Hopi for Chief Spirit Guide.

One day, several years ago, I was very tired and fell asleep briefly during the journey, Alo Mong was teaching me about why I had received a turtle talisman, and how it applied to some financial worries I was having. I was told that it was for the turtle maiden---he was trying to tell me, when I fell asleep briefly, but I was still conscious of the drumming CD, and my journey, suddenly I saw how in ancient times the Turtle Maiden would come and provide the people of the SouthWest with water, or whatever else they needed, and the turtle was her helper. All of a sudden I realized I was dreaming and woke myself up, but then I was told to 'Check this out tomorrow, and I would see the truth behind it.' The dream was really vivid and was narrated by Alo Mong.

The next day I did a web search for the Turtle maiden. Sure enough she was a kachina----I had no idea. I called a store in Arizona that was selling a Turtle Maiden that had been created by a Native American artist, and asked them what they knew about this kachina. The storekeeper answered that she is a very old kachina and that in ancient times, when the Pueblo's were going through drought conditions, they would look for the turtle----as that represented water and was a sign that water was coming to save their crops. He didn't know much else about the Turtle Maiden other than that she would accompany the turtle. I wanted to tell him that it was the other way around---the turtle accompanied her----but he probably wouldn't believe how I knew that. (And I thank the Turtle Maiden, as she helped me through my worries at the time).

I have drummed and used the CD and have used both together---I have success with both. I had another amazing experience while drumming, which is why I no longer question what I experience----it was a synchronicity that proved to me that this is not simply a creation of my own mind, or some forgotten knowledge----but I'll relate that in another posting...

Mountain Valley Wolf

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:01 am 

I am learning to journey to a CD/mp3 as it would be convinient for me as I have kids now and can't bang away whenever I please as usual.

I think it is very hard. Since I started using the drum in my own work I have drummed myself, and I use many special rythms and ways of drumming to reach special places and certain levels etc. I also incorporate the drum itself in the work - to me it is very physical to work shamanialy.

The CD is just bang-bang-bang-bang over and over again, so I am finding it very hard to go somewhere with that.

But I am practicing! I want to learn.

Peace,
BB

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:27 am 

Greetings BB

Have you tried giving them drums (or make some) and let them make lots of noise?
If you can tune out to their noise whilst you journey you can travel deeper and their noise will alway act as an anchor to bring you back from your journey when you turn your focus towards it. It's a good way to learn patience and tolerance with the self.

Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:34 pm 

I've tried listening to drumming on CDs but it's been with varying success. In the beginning I was probably to caught up with trying to understand the experience that it couldn't make me any good anyhow. Today I'm better with CDs but it's really not my first choice.

The day I first drummed with a drum I had made my self, gave a whole new meaning to drumming! I've taken part of some very powerful journeys when someone else have been drumming for me. But the most powerful journeys have been when I could completely go into a trance upon being alone in the woods with my own dear deer-drum.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:45 pm 

Travellingman

I have found that the best drum is the one located where the heart resides.
When in tune with the planet and universe, there is no other that can compare.

Peace and harmony
Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:03 pm 

I like journeying with a drum if |I'm in a group but when alone I love journeying to Flute or Shamanic singing.Digeridoo is lovely for Lower World journeys and flute for Upperworld.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:24 pm 

Bearsky, I've been journeying for 20 years. I started using drumming.Both cd and hand drum. I had no problem when I started it was like I've journeyed thousands of times before. And later learned infact I did in past lives. I started making my own drums which I know if you love drumming this makes it more personal putting your love, energy, and heart into your creation. And will be a great tool while doing your great work! The drum beat is to me the heart beat of mother earth. And is connected to all spirits (ALL ONE)! And like a master surgeon you most have your best tools. For me now that I've been journeying for years I can tap on a coffee cup and drop right into the other worlds. We are vibrational beings and if you learn how to get your vibration in high gear you will experiance wonderful results and drumming is just one of many ways to get there! P.S and if you like helping injured wildlife that cross your path like I do. There energy (spirit) is on a high pure vibration and they love drumming. I've witness or you can say have been bless with hundreds of miracles (healings). That if I told most people they would think I lost my mind. But like I said I'm sharing what works for me. And the Great thing is that there is many great other ways that work great also. And I also use many other ways myself to do the great work. I'm learning and growing everyday. I wish everyone the best in there journeys what every way (positively) they use. Blessings Foolshawk :lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:14 pm 

snowdrop wrote:
I like journeying with a drum if |I'm in a group but when alone I love journeying to Flute or Shamanic singing.Digeridoo is lovely for Lower World journeys and flute for Upperworld.

Peace be upon you, snowdrop. I am Raven's Sacred Voice the MedicineMan,
AKA Abdullah the Sufi. I do not know exactly what journeying is, but it sounds
like what I do. When I was 9 years old, ( I am now 17), I began meditating
and some Afrit-spirits began to teach me a set of new languages and when
I meditate and chant and trance, they continue to teach me. When I had
been put in a Juvenile Detention center once, the boy in the cell next to mine had been removed from powerful medications and was supposed to
experience a 3-week withdrawal of extreme sickness, but I chanted on him
on his 1st day of the withdrawal in Lenavaasteeko, one of the spirit-languages, and it completely cured him. It was a miracle. So I often trance
and I leave to visit these spirits.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:39 pm 

What do you recommend for a young Shaman who wishes to drum but at the same time not upset/dis-respect his landlords that live above him? It has been some time since I have drummed and I am yearning to find a spot where I can go to do this. Also I have heard of Shamanic Drumming Cds, what is the best one in your opinion? Thank you my brothers and sisters.

Travel Well,
KODIAK

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:56 am 

Hi Kodiak!

Quote:
...drum but at the same time not upset/dis-respect landlords that live above?

Drumming CDs and DVDs are useful in this situation because the sound can be carefully regulated - you can try different volume settings then go outside to check the noise level for others.

Quote:
Shamanic Drumming CDs, what is the best one in your opinion?

I have compiled a list of popular Journeying and Trance Dance CDs here:
www.lovehealth.org/resources/shamanism.htm
The Malpas Journeying CD is the most popular with beginners because it includes a little booklet on "how to do it". However the drumming is very plain and if you want something a bit more more rich in sound, the Cook and Beery CD of a range of tribal instrument tracks is good.

For more advanced Journeying and Trance Dance you can't beat the powerful earthy beat of the David and Steve Gordon CDs or the "Hemi-synch" trance "Metamusic" of the Byron Metcalf CDs, which use high-tech digital layering technology to synchronise activity in the left and right cerebral hemispheres.

For "Middle World" journeying there is now the surround-sound, multimedia experience of the new David and Steve Gordon DVD

Whichever CD or DVD you use, it is important to Journey safely, I have put some "Health & Safety Tips for Shamanic Journeying" online here: www.lovehealth.org/tools/journeying.htm

I constantly update these resource pages, so grateful for any feedback about them.

May Your Journeys Bear Fruits in Season!

Michael

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys