Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys

Post subject: In Central Asia
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:46 pm 

For what it's worth:
From 1972 to 1976 I lived in a large pilgramage city on the border of the old USSR, Afghanistan and Iran. I was apprenticed to a Shi'ite esoteric mystic who claimed his line extended back to the historical 12 Imams. His teacher was a man of Turkish tribal descent from Baku. There my teacher taught me to journey to the Upper/Middle World to, he hoped, be trained by and become a servant of the 12 Imams, each of which was seen as a leader and teacher of one of Shia's 12 inner mystical paths. The point of interest here is the adaptation of a pre-Islamic, shamanistic technique, journeying, into esoteric Shi'ism...a developement that I believe has seldem if ever been know about in the West. In later years this realization is what spurred my interest some20 years ago in studying journeying within the context of Shamanism. Dennis

Post subject: Pre Islamic shamanic root
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:54 am 

It is fascinating. I was never aware of Shi'it shamanic system. I would love to learn more, and experience it?

How did they perform the journey to the Lower or Upper Worlds? Is that is similar to Michael Harner 's methods? do they use drum beats, do they also find anima spirits in the lower world and angels/spirits at the Upper World?

What are their names?
Love to know. Is there is any good book on the subject?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:37 pm 

eagle 1: Hi! To clarify there is no shi'ite shamanic tradition. The journey is within the framework of a religious mystical tradition and not a shamanic tradition but none the less it shares many attributes with shamanic Middle/Upper world journeys. There are no power animal, the work is with the 12 Shi'te Imams similar to shamanic work with Upper World teachers or Hindu/Buddhist traditions that focus on work with the inner guru or work with helping gods/goddesses. There are no books are articles I know of in English on this esoteric Shi'ite tradition. Dennis

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys