Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys

Post subject: I think I made my first journey
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:38 am 

I had tried before using the Michael Harner to the book. With out success. This was my sixth time trying. I had decided to just stay determined on finding my power animal with out going threw the tunnel. To focus on the black of closed eyes, finding my animal, the drumming. Saying a mantra like sentence to myself: “I want to meet my power animal. I want to see the spirit world” I decided to try something else I had read. About imagining the forest. Letting the animals come to me. And I did. Still saying my mantra. At first I visioned the forbidden forest from the Harry Potter movie. I lost focus for a minuteish and i when i came back the scenery had changed. Although it was still night time and there were large trees the lake had changed. There was now a small bit of land in the middle. and it was now surrounded by high land. almost ravine like. And as I looked up the ledge of the opposite side I was standing there was a dark four legged creature. I swam across the river and floated(like) up the hill to the top. butt he figure was gone. I went back down. and now on the piece of land in the middle of the river, was the creature. It was like a wolf. But much bigger then one i had seen before. And it had a maine. A large black maine. and large orange/yellow eyes. It walked across the water to me. i asked if it was my power animal but I got no answer. but it took me on it’s back. and we started flying. I could feel it’s fur under me. It had no wings. We were just flying. And the world I was seeing was still at night. A huge forest with a river going down the middle. And the forest itself was in the a giant cavern. I think about the grand canyon but 20 times bigger. I was off the wolf again. And I kept asking it, with no answer. And then when I realized I was on a cliff and not back in the middle of the forest it spoke. It told me it was my power animal. I told it I was having trouble focusing. I kept remembering pictures of Wolves and Werewolves. He told me to focus. His voice was deep and rustic. There was a fire between us. it kept off and on. My view of this scene was between first person and a third person looking at my power animal. When it was first person, there was no fire. but looking facing him, there was. He kept telling me I had to focus on him. And i tried. And everytime I thought of another wolf image, he knew. And told me to stop. He could tell me what I was remembering specifically. The next few moments are hazy. I remember asking another question but I don’t remember about what. Then, my phone went off and I was completely caught up on that. And with that, I seem to have gone up a tunnel of blue and white light suddenly before opening my eyes.

I guess it's hard for me to decide if this happened or if i forced it with my imagination. My friend who has had success before told me to just go with it. What do you think?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:35 am 

I agree with your friend. I've read that a good imagination is a prerequisite to successful journeying... The most successful journeys I've had have been when I have an expressed intent, but no preconceived notions about what will/should happen during the journey. *Do* write about your journeys when you've finished--whether detailed or in point form or even as a mind map. You will be amazed at the insights you receive when you review them much later. And unlike dreams, you will remember the details of your journeys long after you've been on them. Great start!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:39 am 

Hi jookyle!

10 out of 10 for persistence!

A priority when first journeying is to find a "spirit guide" rather than a "power animal", but perhaps "spirit guide" [who will assist you in future journeys and keep you safe, as opposed to a "power animal" who will embody a quality you need in your life right now] WAS your intention?

Many people teach "forced" journey techniques (particular visualizations) - and they can have their place in widening our journeying experiences. However, I always encourage beginners to simply "open up and let go" [an "unstructured" initial journey] because the result, or the "journeying block" can hold important significance - something (from the past) that needs healing e.g. via soul retrieval or by psychotherapeutic techniques. So I agree with terryjca on this - "no preconceived notions about what will/should happen during the journey".

Quote:
There was a fire between us. it kept off and on...
Could this be a "fire of purification"? - an indication for some kind of healing work. Your journey seems to me like a kind of "survey" of your psyche. Maybe the dark areas indicate areas of your "shadow self" - not necessarily anything bad, just stuff about yourself that you are not currently conscious about - e.g. painful old incidents or unresolved grief or guilt.

Michael
www.shamanism.sunflower-health.com

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys