Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys

Post subject: How to get started?
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:50 am 

Of course you can seek out an indigenous shaman and if he or she is willing you can apprentice yourself to them. Alternatively there are quite a number of workshops offered around the country where for a few hundred bucks they'll guide you to journeying to the upper and lower worlds to connect with helping spirits and with that basic tool in your kit you're off and running.

Perhaps the cheapest way (about $20) to dive in the pool for the first time is to invest in a good guide book for beginners like Sandra Ingerman's "Shamanic Journeying: A Beginner's Guide" which comes with a handy drumming CD to help shift you into non-ordinary reality (NOR). Sandra is one of the best know names in contemporary shamanism and provides an easy, safe portal. Lacking the dollars to do the more spectacular alternatives a number of folks I know have used this as a simple learning tool to get started on the path. Good luck, Dennis

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:59 am 

Perhaps worth mentioning that journeys often vary in their intensity and vividness (especially if you are not using plants/drugs to induce your journey). It sometimes happens that folks come back after their first few efforts and say they can't do it...can't journey. This is often because their initial expectations are too high. Shamanic journeys are classified as occurring in a 'subtle' state, unlike the 'gross' state of 'normal' consciousness. They may at first, and from time to time, be fragmented, sketchy, ephemeral, and even sometimes cartoonish, depending on the depth of your altered state of consciousness and your ability to concentrate or stay focused on the images of your journey as it unfolds. Many folks do have vivid journeys from the beginning but for others it takes time and repeated practice...whichever it is for you, the rewards are worth the effort. Dennis

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:36 pm 

Hi Bearsky
I was happy to see you mention Journeying can be cartoonish. When I first started journeying, I met an allie that was a dragon, but more like the childrens cartoon dragon Barney. He told me his name was AROD. When I asked why he looked cartoonish he said I wasn't ready to see the real him and it would probably have scared me. LOL :wink:
Blessings, Small Elk

Post subject: Re: How to get started?
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:10 pm 

funny that I stumbled upon this topic... how 2 get started... think that all depends on personal experience!
Have had the same re-occuring dream of a snake chasing me in my dreams since my childhood, but never really dived into it... when I got a dream about shamanism and started reading about it I gathered the courage to ask in my dream what the snake wanted from me and he answered that he was protecting me all these years.

Not long afterwards I met my first guardian spirit (all on my own --> the Raven) and after that my second (the cobra snake), they have helped me substantially with my knowledge about shamanism etc... so I must say that I have learned it mostly from either my guardian spirits or myself.

Regards,

Nico

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys