Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys

Post subject: Help me please
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:09 am 

Hi everyone,

I am new to journeying (a month or so), and I really cant seem to get into it. I want to journey to the lower world and meet my power animal, but it just doesnt seem to work for me.

I listen to the drumming CD and try to relax and go with the flow of the beat, I state my intention, but nothing happens. I have tried many different beats, and sitting up, lying down down etc, but I just cant get into the trance like state.

I have also tried using the third eye technique, but nothing has worked. All I get is thoughts popping into my head, like 'what is for dinner' and 'is that something there?'.

I really need some help on this, can anyone please give me some suggestions of things to do to help me get into journeying properly? I read the book by Sandra (I forget the surname).
And some ideas for getting into the trance like state?

I really want to travel and meet the spirit world.

Many thanks
M

Post subject: Re: Help me please
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:47 am 

Have you tried doing a more physical method to enter the journey space...like dancing or singing? We each have a different method for accessing spirit. Work your way through your senses and see which sense gives you the best access.
Shine!
Mark

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:37 am 

Thank you Mark for the suggestion
Sorry for the delay, I have been busy with a new job etc. But yes, I have tried singing and dancing, I just end up feeling myself turning red (through embarrassment not effort) even though there is noone else around.
I take it that I need to try to get rid of the insecurities, but I have the same thing when for example I am walking and nearly trip up, or when I almost fall off my chair, I go red even if noone is around to see it. (I must state that despite what I have just said I am not an overly clumsy person, nor am I elderly and/or frail).

Are there any tips for getting rid of this feeling? Or for clearing the mind so that the journey can begin? I have almost given up on the whole idea of journeying.

I would like to participate in a course, but all of the ones that I have seen advertised in the UK are basically held in village halls - complete with aroma-de-disinfectant and gauping teenagers at every window. I envisage more of a 'traditional' environment for my first journey, you know the kind of thing, some kind of outdoor wigwam with a fire, surrounded by trees, babbling brook etc.

I, like corn, am all ears.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:34 pm 

Have you tried meditating or relaxing some other ways before the actual journey? Calming the mind makes it more receptive.

Turning lights off can also help. Maybe you need to create some kind of an atmosphere in the room/space you use for journeying?

But don't give up!
Have a nice journey. :)
shin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:45 am 

practice visualization and open the third eye this stuff is pretty much impossible without the third eye open.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:13 pm 

I know personally I had to work up to shamanic journeying. For me it was an organic process though. I had been really focusing on meditating at least once or twice a week for almost a full year before, mostly 3rd eye and other chakra meditations. At about the same time I was starting to get snippets of imagery while doing my daily lunch time meditation, I just happened to stumble across a movie regarding shamanism, and from there, it was like a journey down the rabbit hole and I kept finding different books that would outline different methods of journeying. I know that the year before, I would not have been prepared enough to journey

Also though, maybe you could try a "fake it 'til you make it" approach. Sometimes when I have trouble getting started, I let my imagination start the process and carry me where it will, then usually the spirit guides take over at some point.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:54 pm 

You're on the right track with the needing to undermine the thinking brain and ego. This can be hugely challenging. In my life, though I was not consciously seeking awakening, I found myself intentionally challenging my embarrassment (think posting youtubes of bad banjo playing, speaking up when usually I'd be quiet, speaking my truth) and have been facing fear for years. These things helped me to get my modern thinking brain out of the way.

Also, I seem to have fallen into reckoning (which is my word for unanticipated "psychotic" transformation) in a process that was deeply painful at first and that involved truly facing my wounds and fear, consciously healing from them.

I can relate to the frustration of trying to engage in something and not really being able to flow into it. Engagement has to do with thinking/feeling/being/communicating with a different part of our mind. It's a different part than the part that thinks about dinner. We all have it, but it gets bossed and quieted by all our food/fear/sex thinking.

I am new here and don't know if this is acknowledged ~ but my understanding of "waking up" and "falling into the bigger field" is that it isn't always warm and fuzzy. Awakening can be significantly disruptive to our lives. We have to be willing to "go there" and fear - on any level - creates a barrier. It takes a big leap to trust ourselves and to trust the forces of the world to guide us well. Of course, the modern world isn't always kind to our callings.

Maybe you should find some woods and go there alone and just start sitting. Practicing mindfulness and reverence for the natural world really blew the doors open for me, quite accidentally.

Or, you could always just go crazy...after my last big "break" I told my family, do you realize that people spend years and thousands of dollars trying to find what I found accidentally...or what found me...

Also, visualization and true belief is vital. It's all real and it is everything. Use your senses.

Sri Aurobindo The Hidden Forces of Life is a lovely little book.

Keep being open to what might happen and know that it might not look like/feel like what you anticipate. If we hold to expectations, we might miss the real thing...what if it's happening right now?

:)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:59 pm 

Curious George

I'm posting way late, but I got a laugh out of the way you have worded your story.

Here's my two cents.

When you're embarrassed, you are on to something. If you want to become more attuned to nature, you have to become more attuned to yourself. You can't do that when you're struggling against embarrassment.

If you were to address just one embarrassing memory that is evoked from doing any of these triggering events, and integrate the experience that caused the embarrassment, taking care of the rest becomes much easier and more dooable.

I tackled this through dancing. But if I were to push my boundaries even more, singing would really be next.

I'm embarrassed to sing alone, and especially solo in front of an audience. If I were to address this, my singing would vastly improve.

My dancing did, and I lost a ton of weight on top of that.

I see these things as "practical shamanism", because as far as I know, I haven't journeyed to the underworld in the way shamanic practitioners seem to describe.

In my case, my power animals surround me in my everyday environment and experience. There are main ones, and there are others that appear with less regularitiy.

Anyway, when you get in touch with your nature through integrating experiences that otherwise emotionally cripple people in one respect, or another, your animals will appear to you, of that I am almost certain. If you're in the city, remember the indigenous selection, when considering what power animal is likely to appear.

On the other hand, where we might find weakness in one area, equal and opposite strength may be found in another - in your case its humour ad wit. :)

Hope you get to read this, and that it makes some kind of sense to you.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys