Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: i have made my own shamanic drum and also for others....
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:56 am 

would love to hear about how others have made drums too... as i love to make drums... for myself and others and our ayllu community also dreamed into being a community spiirt drum (named windwalker)...

you can read about her journey on a blog i've been keeping at http://drum4mum.blogspot.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:58 am 

There is no explanation for why I was surprised when drumweaver said he makes drums.

But good to know, do you have any pictures of your drums?

I've been thinking of some rattles myself. Maybe quartz filled, or just other rocks.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:55 pm 

it would be nice to make your own drum....... :D
the drum workshops are a bit expensive for me to join in at this time but i have two drums i bought and like
and i like to practice the breathing techniques sometimes usually just before falling asleep i 'watch' my breath........

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:50 am 

About the connection with drum. I used to sing it. I kept drum very close to my mouth at certain angle so the drum would resonate and echoe my own voice. It feels good and it is possbile to do journey same time, when singing with drum and voices are merged.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:44 pm 

Jusma wrote:
I used to sing it. I kept drum very close to my mouth at certain angle so the drum would resonate and echoe my own voice...merged.

what a beautiful image! I will have to try this. Thank you, Jusma.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:22 pm 

Well, welcome. Some technical tips, if needed. If you try it, you'll maybe find it needs quite strong resonation of your own voice to have good enough pressure and impact on drumskin. My singing was mostly plain, deep and low sound. But you'll find your own by trying. It is also possible to beat rhythm with your stick very softly/tenderly same time after merging of voices have done. It may deepen mental state. Otherwise beating would easily disturb the process with voices and it may not be good idea to try with stick immediatly.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:37 pm 

When first learning to journey, I definitely think using some sort of rhythm is a good idea. Once you can do it that way, moving beyond the need for it is a big growth point. Drums definitely aren't necessary, but do help you slide into that state very quickly, if that's the technique you were trained on.

I learned with drums, but found the technique that opens the Interface for me the fastest is ecstatic dance. Absolutely love it.

Would LOVE to hear/see about peoples experiences with drum-making!! I've had the drum-spirit floating about me for a while, waiting to be formed into the physical, and if I don't get on it soon, I'll have one crotchety drum-spirit. The technical aspects of drum-making are a bit intimidating though. Any direction much appreciated!

-Ursa

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:18 am 

You already have drumspirit floating around, so you seek technical tips for construction...?

Ask the spirit, how it wants to be suited. All parts do matter: handle, frame, skin, how skin is tightened. Shaman drum will teach you about cosmology, world, life. So all parts matter. Just any drum will make the sound and rhythm to help journey, but building that special link between you and drum requires special attention.

You may bend framewood, like tradionally done with hot water, or use much glue, and build it from many pieces. But first dream your drum well, how it should be from front and back, before building anything.

Technical tips can be found even from youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPUkLQAm ... re=related

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:28 am 

When crafting the body of a hallow, I find I can interpret the wishes of the spirit better if I have some existing technical knowledge of possible ways of crafting it. It hasn't always been necessary - crafting my crane bag, for instance, was very different to anything I've ever read about. But when I researched methods of making rattles, I found that the spirit very clearly told me which one to use, and it was much easier to craft after having investigated that.

I'm more interested in getting the little technical tips from people with experience. After having made previous hallows, I've obviously learned things that would help me making a similar hallow in the future. Talking with my sister who had made similar hallows helped me to find the right path quicker, than attempting various methods which didn't work, if you see what I mean?

The spirit talks, but it's always a good idea to do everything possible to help understand them clearly. :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:41 am 

Jusma wrote:
eventually I lost ability to just be and became driven and tense

It certainly happens so easily in our information-age high-pressure society, Jusma - so easy to lose ourself and become less whole.

>> Needed to check if sheets were clean, when rised up.

:lol: dreams can be so real!

Thanks for sharing. Happy fishing! - time spent beside water can be so therapeutic.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:30 pm 

I have found that I rarely use a drum these days, unless I have others drumming for me or a CD. Drumming for myself can be quite powerful, but also can get distracting as I get more deeply into the journey. I have been in a circle where all of us were both journeying and drumming, and that was very powerful. That is also wonderful, but not often practical for me as I rarely get to do journey work with others.

Most of the time now I just use focused breathing to shift myself from here to there. I breath in at my crown and out at my navel, in at the crown and out at the navel, again and again. I usually do several cycles of this, with 5 in and our breathes in each cycle. Takes a little practice, but once mastered is extremely simple and fairly effective.:D

Then I shift my focus to my personal sacred garden... then touch one thing, smell one thing, hear one thing and look around... That is usually enough to shift me. Of course, this is easier when there are fewer distractions.

Calm and expansive music works well for me... stuff like Coyote Oldman.

I have had need very occasionally to visit my garden space while driving. This is not something I recommend to do unless you are very comfortable with journeying, and even then, it is still best not to go beyond your personal inner space as it can be very distracting and extremely dangerous! Use only under dire need :shock:... Otherwise, stick to the much safer prone or seated journey... while safely at home!

Journey work is best done in a quiet, darkened setting with minimal distractions. Taking care of basics, like making sure you are comfortable (drink some water, use the bathroom) can make a world of difference. And, of course setting clear intentions for your journey before hand and asking for power, protection and support from the spirits that watch over you. When these things are accounted for, most of my journeys go very well.

The only hiccups are when my mind is racing and I have to figure something out before hand. :roll: Some times you can quite your mind down by sustaining focused attention on experiencing your journey, but other times you gotta give it a break and come back when your mind is more tranquil. :wink:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:39 pm 

Oh, and I forgot to mention I have used throat singing to shift me into connection with spirits before as well.

Although I have not used throat singing for journey work per se, I did use it once to connect with the spirit of a cave and the spirits of a place. It worked very powerfully.

Has anyone else out there tried throat singing as part of their shamanic work?

Post subject: Re: Drumless Journeying
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:37 am 

Wow!Another Zen Buddhist in here!
When I Journey,I go to my bed,lie down facing the wall,it's dark and warm.I close my eyes and imagine myself doing a ritual with my shaman ancestor in a secret place.I've also done that while speaking on the phone with my friend,who is also a shaman and is Journeying at the same time,because I can meet her in the Middle world...

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:26 am 

I have never used a drum. My teacher really seems to use it mainly for energy balancing.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:54 pm 

Thank you for your blog link Dreamweaver, I had never heard of the 500 year-old Otomi Prophecy

"When 8000 sacred drums sound together,
an intense healing of Mother Earth will commence."- 500 year-old Otomi Prophecy

It is good to know that people are organising to bring this to pass, I hope many more drum groups around the globe join in, I intend to.

I paint drums myself and each and every drum I work on I learn more and more.
When they are enrgised correctly and played with intent they become a powerful healing tool. For me when I paint drums the most important part is singing the drum into being. Songs learnt from plants, stones and the elements help imbue the drum and call the spirit of it in. And then when it is played, especially in a group, you can hear the voice of the drum and the voices of the ancestors woven into the vibration. Another important aspect for me is the cleansing, the drum is brought to a sacred well and washed, each and every well has a different healing vibration and the water will imprint its blessing on to it. While working on a drum I will feel the call of a particular well and off I go. Recently I have felt the call towards working with drums at Earth energy vortices, I have no experinece with this so will have to feel my way in gently. If anyone has an experience please let me know.
As for journeying, some times I will find myself journeying while singing to the drum, the skin of the drum resonates to the voice and can bring on a strong trance, so no drum beats but still journeying.
Best wishes

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys