Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:19 am 

Luck with the fish Jusma,the grass is always greener near the bank but the beach has sand.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:55 am 

Thanks, one perch I got. Grass is indeed green near banks, and when mind is emptied and again filled with the sounds of waves, wind, gulls, landscape wideopen and shiny, I feel again me. Back to work thou...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:50 pm 

This talk of fishing prompts me to mention the wonderful allegorical Arthurian legend of "The Fisher King" about a king who suffers a groin-wound injury and thereafter goes into a kind of chronic fatigue [world-weariness?] syndrome. His kingdom [domain of influence] was once prosperous, but has gone, like him into a "dispirited" [as we would say in shamanism!] decline.

I am not saying that this applies to you, Jusma! Just that the "Fisher King" also gained respite from his suffering, via the activity of fishing [symbolising "spiritual renewal" via exploration of deep feelings].

The psychological interpretation put on this legend is that the king represents the "wounded feeling/creativity/expressivity function" as experienced by many men as they get older [e.g. in "mid-life crisis" or "male menopause"]. The mainly self-centred [ego development] energy of youth has burned-out and mature "kingship skills & wisdom" have not yet developed.

The Fisher King is rescued from his decline by a naive young knight [Parsifal/Percival/Perceval] who witnesses a regular ritual in which the wish-fulfilling "Grail Cup" is passed around, but the weakened old king is unable to grasp and drink from it.

Percival symbolises the "young and foolish" aspect of every man but also the aspect of us which is dependent on a woman [a mother figure]. He cannot rescue the Fisher King until he has proved himself a man and shed the coat which his mother had made him wear to "stay safe and warm".

He then returns to the Fisher King's castle and has now acquired the wisdom to ask "Whom does the Grail Cup serve?". This prompts a new king [representing the soul] to emerge from the shadows, the old fisher king [representing ego] dies, and happiness and prosperity are restored to the kingdom!

There is modern recreation of the legend in the film comedy-drama The Fisher King set in New York City at the end of the twentieth century. It features Jeff Bridges as a cynical "shock-jock" whose faith in life and love is nurtured by a crazy guy played by Robin Williams.

It is the story of a man's attempt to redeem himself from a life of fatal cynicism through his unlikely alliance with a visionary street person. Robin Williams portrays Parry, a former professor of medieval history, who lives in a remarkable world of his own creation in order to insulate himself from a tragedy in his past. He now sees a singular New York and has the charismatic ability to permit others to see the world as he does - full of turrets and castles, terrifying Red Knights and damsels in distress.

"Jeff Bridges portrays Jack Lucas, a man who has always managed to look down at life from the top. He is the menace of Manhattan's airwaves, the city's No. 1 shock DJ, but his off-handed arrogance triggers an incident which derails him from the fast track and sends him on a precipitous decline through the looking glass into a whole other world he had never imagined. Penniless and without prospects, Jack finds himself plucked from disaster by the most improbable of saviors... Parry."

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:57 am 

yeah all the time. I never really liked the drums. And I couldn't find any. From the moment I started practice I never really needed them. I can journey on a bus if I remember to put up a shield beforehand.
But I do like to travel to techno music. Same concept really. The beats are usually similar in some songs.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:28 am 

Quote:
But I do like to travel to techno music

Have you tried multi-layered "Hemi-Sync" alpha/theta wave Music such as "Spirit Gathering" or "Shaman's Heart"?

If you like techno music for journeying, Dr. Iron, I think you will love these! "Spirit Gathering" is my personal favourite for high-tech 21st century journeying.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:52 am 

brothermichael wrote:
Quote:
But I do like to travel to techno music

"Spirit Gathering" is my personal favourite for high-tech 21st century journeying.

I have most of those, and a station of it on pardora radio. I also like "the Buddhist monks".

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:02 pm 

Although I generally journey to the drum, I've recently begun to find myself journeying during my morning prayer time. Working with Gold Eagle and Black Bear, the journeys are specifically vivid while addressing the East and West. They're spontaneous, and always involve my being shown some type of lesson, or given some kind of advice.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:38 pm 

i enjoy drumming but never journeyed by the drum before and would love to get to go to more drum circles to practice and learn my way to trance on drumming .........i just got a job and i can't go to the saturday drum circles i been going almost every saturday now for a year when i bought my first drum.....learning to play and listen.....but haven't gotten off to journeying on it yet although twice came close to doing so......once just as i was getting there a gal started to talk to me and ;ugh stopped me another time just as i was getting into it the drummers ended the session........but one day .....one day i will get my first trance in via drumming and i'm sure the next ones will come easier for me :wink:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:03 pm 

eagleeyes,

I'm sure you could learn to journey to a shamanic drumming CD's. These recorded drumming sessions come complete with drumming call backs so you know when to come back from journeying....

The more you practice, the better you'll get...if you have the desire, don't give up. I think you can learn how, even without a drumming group.

All
When I started journeying, I needed the drum to get me into the trance state. However, I think once your mind is used to getting into the state you can do it at will, or during your preferred state of mind - meditation, listening to music - whenever.

Now I usually journey while I am still in bed, in a semi-dream state in the morning. Plus, my body is still relaxed from sleeping.

Love to journey! (I've posted some of the journeys I've done for others on my blog...)

Kara
www.conduitofjoy.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:54 pm 

Quote:
i enjoy drumming but never journeyed by the drum before

Hi Eagleeyes!

As Conduitofjoy suggests, Journeying CDs can be very helpful for home practice. You can listen to sample tracks and download MP3s by following THIS LINK or ANOTHER LINK. You can also use this online Visionary Journey Drumming Video.

Blocks to the journeying experience cannot always be overcome by just trying and trying - such blocks can be signficant indicators of a need for healing a past experience, resolving old grief etc [obstructing access to the unconscious], changing some present "over-control" patterns or a need for some soul retrieval work.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:48 pm 

thanks for the imput......i think i can learn to journey via the drum.....i've done it without the drum ...in dreamtimes ....meditation.....entheogens....dance and during lunar eclipses without any other aids.....but i've yet to journey via the drum......i'll keep practicing my drumming and one day i'll it will happen i'm certain......
thanks for the links i will check them out now

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:31 pm 

Hi again Eagleeyes!

Thanks for your message.

Are you able to let the sound energy of the drum carry you along? - like [surf-]riding on a wave?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:29 pm 

not yet but i will be working on it
:wink:

Post subject: a mindful breath journey..........
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:32 am 

i often practice a mindful mediation practice that i also can journey within called "hong sau"... i believe it's a very old kriya yoga practice.......

and it's very powerful when practiced regularly everyday for a period of time - weeks, months... consistently....

it's basically a silent practice of just "observing" one's own breath.. you don't make your breath do anything, you just watch it...

allow the breath to natually breathe normally, while closing your eyes, observe your own breath... and while your breath breathes in... silently to yourself chant, "hong" and when the breath falls back out, chant silently 'sau" (saw)...

if your mind wanders away from observing the gentle ins and outs... just bring your awareness back to the breath.. no judgement... just return back observing...

after a while... days...weeks.. months.. practicing... at some point, you will reach what's called a "breathless state"... hard to describe actually... but what happens in this moment is that you are literally residing in the moment of the present now... and your whole physical body simply rests... your heart rests... your lungs rest, everything rests... etc.... etc...

and this place of "no breath" can take you places you've never been ever before... i like to call it like, residing in "inka state"... or resting within the arms of spirit... and the light of the cosmos.. a very still place - a beautiful perceptual state that can teach you much... and the benefits endless...

happy journeying...... to you all...

with light and love, weaver (((o)))

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:34 am 

How bout we share our how to's on making drums.

I don't have a drum, but I'm working to make my own. Anyone else have any of their own home made drums?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys