Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys

Do you offer gifts to spirits who help you in your journeys?
Yes 92%  92%  [ 12 ]
No 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Other, please specify? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

Post subject: Do you offer gifts to spirits who help you in your journeys?
 Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:36 am 

Hi there guys i'm starting to look more in depth into journeying again, i did it a couple of times when i was in my teens and just stopped doing it... I've decided to do it again and i read a post from Bodlon last night pointing out that when he journeyed that he would offer a gift to those who helped him.

I think this is a great idea and i honestly had no idea it could even be done, now that i know it can be done i must thank Bodlon for sharing his experience otherwise i wouldn't have had any idea.

I think it's a wonderful idea and i'll certainly have to try it the next time i am able to journey... i'm a little rusty so it could take a while before i am able to go anywhere. On that note, Bodlon offered stones... i think i'd offer leaves from herbs after asking the permission from the plant.

Unfortunately if i'm going to do that i'm going to have to wait until spring, at the moment all i have is a bag of aniseed balls however i don't think the otherworld residents would have any interest and/or use for candy... You never know however, what do all of you think?

At any rate i must commend bodlon for being kind enough to share his experience. If you have any ideas or stories relevant to this please feel free to share it.

[Note: i posted this on another forum first and then copied it to here after i got some pretty interesting replies. If you don't know who Bodlon is that's why]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:59 pm 

Hiya, great question but you confused me - is this a physical object you are talking about?

Quote:
Unfortunately if i'm going to do that i'm going to have to wait until spring, at the moment all i have is a bag of aniseed balls however i don't think the otherworld residents would have any interest and/or use for candy

Back on the subject, I often experience an exchange of gifts in my journeys, however it is a spontaneous occurance, like a character in my journey offers me a gift, I accept and then I find myself giving something in return. Sometimes I initiate the giving too.

For me it represents the exchange of information, spiritual knowledge and growth and the items themselves are quite varied, often a flower, a book, a key, a necklace etc

I always say thanks to my power animals, spirit guides and any being who has helped me on my journey at the end just before leaving the world I am journeying in.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:15 am 

For my familiars as an offering I give them a form of body.
Either an item at my altar, or their own statue.
And I'll throw in something different as a offering like whatever they ask for.
usually foods.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:32 pm 

It's just good manners. Just as I would bring a gift to honor the host or hostess when visiting someone's house.

namaste,

Kenn Day
http://www.shamanstouch.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:12 pm 

I could have swore I read somewhere that they get offended by offering gifts, they see it as a bribe or something and don't like that.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:50 pm 

I think that the offerings depends on what where you stand as a shaman is and what culture you come from. We have levels and different levels has different levels of guides that ask for different offering. I don’t know which is the rightful word to say, if offering is best or gift is, it depend in your book but to me they are the same. Yes I do offer my guides water, wine, flower and Joss paper b4 and after my journey. It is a way of thanking them for their help and guidance and I know for sure they are very pleased by it. Look up Joss paper on google and you can find out more about what it is. When buy then I fold it into origami flowers and to my guides as they are burned they turn into flowers and other spiritual things in their world that they can use.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:38 am 

I do give offerings, as what I give is what feels the most correct in the moment of the work I am doing. It usually goes by an inner voice guiding me as what is right and accepted, I never seem to be bothered by the choices of offerings as I feel the connection to mother earth spiritually and mentally, like a two-way comunication.

It can be all sort of offerings, all from everything already mentioned here to prayers of blessings and further to doing a good deed to someone as a thank to the spirit and mother earth.

Sil Ameth wrote:
I could have swore I read somewhere that they get offended by offering gifts, they see it as a bribe or something and don't like that.

Some may have that belief, honestly this occurs only if the one doing offerings is unsure of him-/her-self and work with guiding spirits through fear and unsecurness. Spirits may turn angry to offerings if you force and will the spirits to work ill, harm others etc. Than of course offering will be met with not a very mild reaction from your working spirits. Always be humble when you do offerings, with pure mind and will, and give being 200% sure it is the right thing to do, and cause your heart wishes it,not because you feel you must or you believe what you are working with will be more successfull; offerings are not a bribe,but an act of gratitude and good will, so make sure not to make it seem differently by having second thoughts and especially DO NOT give offerings by trying to gain something out of it.

Of course this depends from a person to person and how they see offerings...

Post subject: Re: Do you offer gifts to spirits who help you in your journ
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:44 pm 

Why wait for your next journey? Your helping spirits are here all the time, it's just that in our daily state we most of the time don't perceive it directly.

In the way we use shamanism, the journeying is a helpful tool, but all is meant to find harmony and joy in daily life and there are some really simple ways to get connected to for instance your power animal by:

> when you see something beautiful or eat something really tasty, just ask him to share; let him look through your eyes and taste what you eat

> when you have dinner, make a spirit plate before you start eating. The plate goes around all people at the table and everyone puts a little bit of food on it to honor the spirits

Our experience is that in this way, the relationship with the 'other world' (which actually is a state within yourself) becomes more alive and carries you in daily reality.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:47 pm 

thanks for the info man

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:05 am 

Thanks for information. I am newbie in this forum and glad to join

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Journeys