Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Help

Post subject: The Right Path
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:03 pm 

Hello,
First off I would like to apologize if this is in the wrong thread or if there is a smiler question to this already.
I am a 20 year old college student. All of my life I have had this feeling that I need to be doing something more, something different. I am not sure how else to explain it, I have always been drawn to more spiritual things. The Shaman practice has been stuck in my head for a while now,I have tried just pushing this feeling away, and I have tried to do something different with my life, but I can not seem to think of anything else that I can do.
It is not that I have a problem with the Shaman practice, it is more that the sites i have read tell me you have a "calling" and I have not been severely ill, I have not heard voices. Sure I suppose I have seen things now and then but it has never been anything to make me think that I was being called. I have this extreme longing to do something like this, but I am not sure what it is.
I was wondering if anyone had any idea what could be going on? Or maybe if I am being drawn to something else? I just feel like there is something inside me trying to rip its way out, and that I can not truly be whole until it finds its spam.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I look forwared to hearing your responses.

Post subject: Re: The Right Path
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:30 am 

I doubt any person can truthfully say, what it is you are longing for. Only yourself can know and find it out.

But there are ways to find clarity, like a vision quest and others. Or you may just emerge with that feeling and find out if there would be a word, picture, smell, which would give direction and accuracy for your longing. With that just be patient and calm until the longing explains itself.

Sometimes energy inside just needs to grow in power until it gets a certain form. I have no other advise, than try to examine it. Do not push it away.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:44 am 

To start, there is no short answer.

Cultural Anthropologists have been failing to accurately or satisfactorily define the term shamanism for more than three hundred years. In fact, the images that spring to mind when someone mentions the term are geographically relevant, that is to say dependent on where you are from. In North America, for instance, you would likely envision one of the indigenous tribes from your area. In the Isthmus of Panama (commonly called Central America in the U.S.) Maya and Aztec would be more likely to come to mind.

To cloud matters further, neo-shaman traditions re-define the term again, adding their own takes on the traditions of ancestors (we can argue on whose ancestor some other time). And we haven't even gotten into the fact that we're talking about an estimated 2 million years of religious evolution.

The term shamanism covers such a large variety of belief systems that for every example you dream up to link the systems together, you find groups that don't use that model. Even Harner's version fails to acknowledge that a large percentage of Indigenous Shamanic Traditions do not practice shaman journeys. So, to say that "Shaman Illnesses" are universal is also a misconception. They are very common in some traditions, less common in others.

For instance, there are two kinds of Mudang in Korea, the called (who experience the sickness) and the hereditary (who are born to it as children of Mudang families and may or may not experience the sickness). As to whether the hereditary Mudang does not experience the sickness because they are practicing from their earliest days and so does not need to, or if it is for some other reason, is unclear to me.

Shugendo, Japanese Mountain Ascetism, blends Budhism, Shinto, Taoism, and shamanism into a reclusive path of wisdom seekers who enjoy the thrill of mountain climbing and weapons play. While the Mantras and Dharma play the central role in the Sage's life, they are sometimes approached by spirit helpers (children spirits) who are attracted to their dedication and agree to the serve the sage as animist spirits serve shaman. There is no sickness, more a process of making one's self worth. (yes, they have been called upon to heal the sick and have two strategies by which this is accomplished.) While called sages and perceived to have more in common with unaffiliated priests, it is clear from the personal diaries and writings that survive, that the sages were in almost constant battle against un-converted demons, tengu, some of which were responsible for mischief, others illnesses, and so on...

So, there is no right way, there is no wrong way, there is only your way and that which is shown to you by your guides and teachers. If you are meant for a spiritual path, you will find it (or it will find you).

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:31 pm 

The historian of religion Mircea Eliade suggested that there were three paths to shamanism: 1. through severe illness 2. through a hereditary line 3. through seeking for whatever reason.

Above all, I suggest you remain open to the silence below the interior "brain chatter" about your daily life that we all experience and need to experience to survive. When we manage to access that profound soul silence (however we do it - it isn't always easy), sometimes remarkable things occur. Sometimes not. Be gently open to spirit - don't push aggressively. Spirit has its own agenda - it will bring you what you need as you need it. Trust in it.

Chris

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:53 pm 

Hi,WildsFlower,
There is no right path and wrong path.There is only the path that is right for you!And out of the many paths, which may be right for you,some are better than others.Whichever path you choose, let it be a path with heart.
The Sage.
Email:sagedreamscanada@yahoo.ca blog/castanedanagualwoman.com

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Help