Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Help

Post subject: Questions about my spirit animal(s).. PLEASE help!
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:02 pm 

This will be a rather long post, there's so much I want to say.

I want to preface this by asking, do you need to be a shaman, or follow any particular group or belief, to have a spirit animal? Spirituality has never been important to me, and I have never necessarily felt a connection to what I consciously defined as "Shamanism", but I have felt many connections to animals and nature. I've wanted a place to ask about these connections, and when I found this site I felt it might be a good place to start.

Here are my questions about the connections I've felt:

These three have always been omnipresent in my life: sharks, wolves (never dogs), and cats.

Cats are the most important to me; I don't remember when this started and I don't see it ending, but I have always loved cats, for as long as I can remember. I've owned several cats, and my current pet cat is my best friend and I consider her to be my sister. At all the zoos and animal refuges I've been to, I've spent hours at the cat exhibits and cages. I feel that of all the animals, so far, I share the biggest connection and understanding with cats of all kinds, wild and domesticated.

I've done research and it has led me to believe that for these reasons, the cat could be my spirit animal.

Here is where the trouble begins: I also tried meditation to see if I could communicate with my spirit animal on a more intimate level. I have only been successful once, and my vision was very fleeting.

The first time as I meditated and withdrew deeper and deeper into my mind, the first thing I saw was a snow leopard. It was very vague, but I could recognize what it was. It stared at me from its den in the snow for a few moments, but said nothing; its eyes were an icy mixture of green and gray, the exact same color as mine. That's what I remember most. I felt its presence with me, I felt its coarse, thick fur running through my fingers as if I'd reached out and petted it, but I never saw it move. Then the vision was gone, and I found myself in my room again.

I have since tried to see and communicate with this animal several times, but it has never shown itself again. This has been a great source of distress for me, because I feel very ready to learn from it, and I need it now more than ever. Every time I think about it, I get misty-eyed and I feel that something is missing. Was what I saw wrong? Will I ever see it again?

Am I too young for my spirit animal to speak and teach me just yet? I'm only fifteen years old, but I've been told that a spirit can guide you at any age so long as you're open to it.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate any answers or advice you can give me.

Post subject: Re: Questions about my spirit animal(s).. PLEASE help!
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:35 am 

No you do not need to be a shaman to work with spirit guides. I don't consider myself a shaman. Are you too young well, probably not but I can tell you my perspective on life has changed many times since I was 15. I had many mystical experiences as young as 5 but without training and perspective I never grew very much until I was 21. I wouldn't rush these things. But what you described seems to be the real deal.

Try these different techniques to connect again. listen to different music during the trance, different lighting, incense, chakra meditation especially third eye heart and crown, western occult techniques (such as banishing or sigil magic), fasting, grounding, sweat lodge / sauna, exercise prior to ritual, drumming, mantra, sorcery, shaking trance, ecstatic dance, the list really goes on and on. I would recommend doing a lot of reading on some of those topics. It can be hard to describe exactly why I can enter a trance easily now but at one time I struggled.

I can offer one additional pointer. Remember there is a difference between meditation and ecstatic trance. Meditation is all about stopping thought and slowing the breath but that isn't so important for a trance, at least not for me. This is why it is often likened to self hypnosis. If you practice you probably will connect with that spirit again.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Help