Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Help

Post subject: New to Shamanism.. need help and direction
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:01 am 

Hi,

My name is Tom and I'm from Yorkshire in the UK. I have a long history of spiritual practice and am deeply interested in self-development and the betterment of humanity and the world we live in - although I've never found anything that feels like a 'fit' for me if that makes sense?

I've tried reading up on and talking to people about pretty much every religious / spiritual practice you could think of (except scientology!) and my path has brought me round to Shamanism. The way this happened was that I had an interest in Buddhism but couldn't get past the politics and some of the ideologies (but mainly my gut told me it wasnt right), which progressed into reading about the Bon tradition from tibet - and this has elements of Shamanism. I picked up a book about Shamanism as I am a great believer in trying things out for yourself and keeping an open mind and I had some interesting experiences with journeying...nothing mind-blowing but enough to convince me there is something to it all.

I have always felt that I have spirit guides and from time to time I think I have been visited and directed by them, but without the awareness to really understand what was going on. I have always had a connection with tarot and have had some very interesting successes helping people with the cards so I know I have some innate 'spiritual' awareness locked in me.

I must also say that I am by trade a scientist, and whilst a lot of spiritual ideas are being proved by cutting edge science and I am a very open person I remain very analytical. I struggle with a lot of the more 'new age' ideas (not meaning to offend anyone) perhaps because of the way I was brought up.

I guess what I'm saying is that I feel a connection to shamanism but would consider myself a contemporary practitioner? If there even is such a thing? Anyway, I know very little of these things and that's why I'm here - I had an urge to post so that's what I'm doing!

I'm looking for advice on where to go from here, or perhaps even find someone willing to teach / guide me a little? I have learned the hard way that paying someone money to teach you about spirituality isn't always the best way to go, and besides that I am in a very awkward financial position right now so couldn't offer much in the way of payment.

I hope this hasn't been a big long rambling opening post, apologies if it has!

I look forward to being on these boards,

Tom

Post subject: Re: New to Shamanism.. need help and direction
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:16 am 

Given your background, I would suggest getting the Druid Animal Oracle "tarot" deck. It's shamanic based and works with your own native animals. You'll learn about their symobolism, their spirit power. AND since they are native animals, whenever you feel lost or worried, or questioning something, you can go for a walk in the park or country side, and the spirits that will help you, will appear to you as you walk.

I think that will help you along, a bit anyway. I've been practicing for 20 years, but my learning is not strictly based in one line of teaching. I've learned from various sources and use what works for me. I am also a Biologist.

WaterDragon

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Help