Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Help

Post subject: Re: One word? Probably not, but I can be more concise
 Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:42 pm 

e.w.aweel wrote:
PS By posting, in a way, you are teaching.

Good point, e.w.

lametaoist wrote:
But my desire to follow my destiny has lead me to what feels like a dead end, and that is why I'm trying to re-evaluate how I got here, and decide if there is a different direction I should be taking. Every time I speak to my guides, they tell me to be patient, and I'm trying to be so (somewhat unsuccessfully). But part of being patient, I would think, is evaluating whether I'm moving in the right direction.

I don't believe in dead ends. I think that what appear to us to be dead ends or wrong turns are actually parts of the path that we are to follow.

I know it doesn't help you much to hear this, but I would guess that you're learning some good lessons with this "dead end." I would also guess that you're doing exactly the right thing with your questioning and evaluating.

I was in your position ten years ago. It's when I discovered magic. I'm not saying that magic is your answer. I'm saying that the questioning that you're doing can produce an answer.

You sound like an open and aware person, like someone who will notice the little path heading off your dead end.

Post subject: Thank you all for your feedback--Q for Eamon
 Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:04 am 

I have a question for Eamon, if you're still reading--

I was told, by an only moderateley reliable source, that the followers of Odin have a history of dying violent deaths. Is this true? I have not tried to talk to Odin, or consider myself a follower of his since the train accident, for that very reason--I have no desire to repeat that particular portion of my life. This may also be why I'm feeling disconnected and different than before the train accident.

I'm asking because you seem to have a much better understanding of Odin and his ways, and I'm not sure I trust my sources anymore.

Post subject: Return to the source...uncovering pathways
 Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:13 am 

There's a great set of rites that illuminate the pathways before us...
The Munay-Ki, the nine great rites.
These are 'seeds' that once downloaded into the energy field work at so many levels that the source of who we've come to be really comes into play.

There are Wisdomkeepers who houses the stories that'll enrich your soul and start the dance that'll keep you awake to all you are....

Many Munay-Key... earthkeeper x

Post subject: Re: Thank you all for your feedback--Q for Eamon
 Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:56 pm 

Quote:
I have a question for Eamon, if you're still reading--

I was told, by an only moderateley reliable source, that the followers of Odin have a history of dying violent deaths. Is this true? I have not tried to talk to Odin, or consider myself a follower of his since the train accident, for that very reason--I have no desire to repeat that particular portion of my life. This may also be why I'm feeling disconnected and different than before the train accident.

I am still reading my friend but having damaged my wrist rather badly my typing is limited.

Most of what is told about Odin is misguided to say the least. As I said before Odin has had a bad press over the years. First the Christians did everything to denigrate his name and then later when the Victorians took an interest in our indigenous culture they focussed on the Germanic and not the Nordic view of Odin Most of what is written now in the popular media including comic books is based on that Victorian stylised Germanic view of the Vikings.

To the Nordic people he was the Allfather (a bit like a king but that term is not generally used) he was known for his magical abilities and his political skills as he would always prefer a negotiated outcome to a direct confrontation. If a confrontation was needed it was usually Thorr who got the job. The warriors most closely associated with Odin were the Berserker's who walked pretty close to a shamanic path anyway. If you were a Berserker following Odin yes there was a very big likelihood of you dying a violent death. They were the fiercest of the Viking warriors.

As the cult of Odin moved across Europe the Germanic tribes who were a lot more militaristic than the Nordic peoples changed his attributes as well as his name. Odin became Woden, (Wodenaz) and his image that of a God of war, it is that image that remains today. In the Nordic tribes Tyr was the god of war (and justice).

Being a Vitki for many years Odin is my patron god and as yet I have not died a violent death, well not that I am aware of. On the contrary Odin has removed me from situations where that possibility might occur (I lived for some time in Arabia). In fact I can honestly say that whenever I have needed saving from any dire situation and there have been a few in my lifetime, Odin has always answered my call.

I know there are a lot of people who follow Odin that are fixated on the warrior cult and would be quite happy to die a violent death in battle to get to Valhalla. But there lies another misrepresentation. The story goes that you had to die in battle or you would end up in the Hall of Helia a dark and grim place. The requirement was not to die just in battle but to die in a state of grace. Only professional warriors needed to die in battle. I wish people would read the Edda’s properly.

I do not doubt that Odin may well have been a part of the incident with the train, sometimes we need a push to get our lives to change; only our perspective is too narrow to understand why.

This once again is becoming a mammoth tract and I am struggling with my wrist. Bare with me and practise that quality of patience so much needed in life, I will post again soon and hopefully explain my view of the problems we have with perspectives.

In the meantime take a look at a website I am putting together, it is a work in progress but may answer some more of your question. www.vitki.eu

Eamon

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:05 pm 

Thank you for your feedback Eamon. Take your time in responding--what you have said already has been enormously helpful.

Quote:
The warriors most closely associated with Odin were the Berserker's who walked pretty close to a shamanic path anyway. If you were a Berserker following Odin yes there was a very big likelihood of you dying a violent death. They were the fiercest of the Viking warriors

Believe it or not, this actually makes sense to me. As a wrestler, I used to put myself into a trance, so that I would feel no pain, and so that when I was wrestling, I was in a state of heightened awareness, which seemed to heighten my reflexes, increase my strength, and allowed me to, on occasion, enter a state of pure consciousness while "fighting".

After I injured myself, got surgery, and was forced to give up wrestling, it left a hole in my life--I also gave up writing, because I was learning a new keyboard layout, and I was so busy with classes and what not that I didn't hive time to write anymore. My subsequent behavior started being interpreted as being Bipolar Disorder (irregular mood, unusual/uncharacteristic aggressive behavior, stuff like that), and I picked up Mixed Martial Arts as a replacement for wrestling, which was a rather violent hobby. There was still, at the time, a very strong draw in my life to become a "professional warrior". I missed what I can only describe as "the thrill of battle". The play took the nature that it did because it was an expression of my inability to re-integrate into society.

There are still some details that are unclear, but it seems to me that someone did die in the train accident--the berserker that I was struggling with, that I was having trouble leaving behind.

I equated the concussion to electroshock therapy--it basically erased everything, and I was forced to completely rebuild myself (for the second or third time, it seems). I had to relearn (or learn for the first time, perhaps) social skills, behavior, re-establish my memories, and re-establish a direction I was moving in, with only faint memories of my life before.

This time, I borrowed from togakure ryu ninjutsu--after awakening the primal aspect of ourselves, learning to hide it, so that we don't appear different, so that we can blend in and not call attention to ourselves, but still keep that wildness alive within us. But it also brought with it the idea of being a "warrior" and having a day job, because the ninja were spies, so they usually had day jobs. This part didn't really catch on with me before the train accident, but after the train accident, I felt compelled to "get a real job", so it resonated with me.

It seems that I have much for which to thank Odin. In some strange way, I feel like with what he told me (i.e. with the train accident), the "professional warrior" died. I've also hear Odin called the fetter loosener and the fetter binder--with a figurative death in the train accident, I managed to avoid what could have been, maybe at a later date, an equally violent death of some other sort. That by "choosing" life, I was choosing a new direction in which to express my destiny (or perhaps to actually express it, rather than being all warlike, and stuff).

I guess with that realization, I don't feel disconnected anymore. He "tricked" me, telling me what I needed to hear, waiting for me to figure out on my own that he's been watching over me the whole time. I guess he saw that I was more valuable as something other than a "professional warrior", which, to be honest, I'm kind of glad I came to that conclusion myself.

Hopefully, I'm not way off base. Does any of that make sense? I still don't necessarily have a direction, but somehow, I'm okay with that now. Unless my interpretation is way off base...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:23 am 

I want to thank everyone for their help. Eamon, your insight into Norse shamanism has been invaluable. I hope your wrist feels better soon.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:19 am 

lametaoist wrote:
I want to thank everyone for their help. Eamon, your insight into Norse shamanism has been invaluable. I hope your wrist feels better soon.

The wrist is improving slowly thank you. I think you have done a good job of interpreting your position as only you can. One point I would finish on, I mentioned our perception I think previously.

We are all like it or not products of a western culture based on immediate results. We are probably the most impatient of all cultures to have existed because we have managed to create a society where everything is based on a communication overdrive.

Nature on the other hand has its own perspective, which runs somewhat slower it of course has a much bigger picture. When Odin is creating events to restore a balance he may well be working towards something that has not yet fully manifested to us and is maybe a few years down the line. After all the cosmos is a few billion years old and say 5 years against that timescale is a mere blink of an eye.

Eamon

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Help