Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Help

Post subject: How does someone know if they are a Shaman?
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:14 am 

I ask this question because i have some wild experiences.
I can look at, what we call the sky. While looking at it specs of multi-coloured light will appear. These specs are one part of a greater vision and past this sight. I find lines connecting all the specs of moving light. Creating structures of not only geometry but all sorts of beings and shapes.
Other times the very clouds will take on such mastered peices of expression. Scenes of city scapes, military campaigns, words, animals and it doesn't stop there. the Complexity and realism of the projections is life like. Life like to the extend if it is an animal or person it breathes and blinks and moves!
Now it doesn't stop here, the same light i can see that on my self. There has been times where my friends have seen my skin change colour and even stretch and seem to phase out. They have seen lines appear upon my skin moving all about. They have also seen what looked like cuniform letters. Its times like this when my skin can appear pixelated and freely flowing.
Its also not uncommon at these times for eyes to appear in the air all around me.
All these occurences happen with the presence of awareness in the top of my head and a sense of either a pushing out or a pushing in reaching and extending well beyond my self. Other happenings like this awareness are the centre of my forehead as well as the back of my heart and throat. Depending on the moment any experience is accompinanied by one of the above mentioned internal/external sensations.

Would this make me a shaman? or what the heck..

There is alot more than i have mentioned going on as well.

Post subject: Re: How does someone know if they are a Shaman?
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:41 pm 

Do you do drugs?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:01 pm 

Yes

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:26 pm 

All I can say to that is you may have caused irreparable harm to your body and mind. It may be hard for you to ever see things clearly.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:24 am 

Why so stark? Wisdom of the ages is that those who come into an age are affected from those previous ages. With this i mean to say to hold a judgement, do you stop to realize the stimulus that has helped formed that opinion? The possibilities are... in that negative is possible, thus is all ends of all spectrum's of perspective. Depending on your level of view into the world around you. Well before *Drugs* i was meeting entities and having many things occur.

I would of expected a shaman to ask do i require a drug to attain that level of awareness. I would also expected a shaman if you we're one indeed. To recognize that i see sense and communicate with spirit which by the definition would say i am a bridge thus i am a Shaman.

Than i would expect if you we're a Shaman to remind me i am not a shaman although i fall within the context of what a Shaman does.

This same person would also say this with the added thought. That what we believe our selves to be creates levels of perception and relation creating the future yet to be arrived in.

Any real shamans here?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:12 am 

Jester,are you serious or are you just a jesting?
Do you have the mystical experiences only under the influence of drugs?
If so,you are not a shaman,you are just a drug addict.You may need rehabilitation.However,if you are able to see the light emanations of the world without drugs,then there is a chance that you are on your way to becoming a shaman.It all depends on how we choose to define" Shaman".
To be a shaman you have to communicate with the spirits.But,that alone does not make you a shaman[in my view] The definition of "Shaman"is not carved in stone.I would say that you need to put your gifts to good use.It is your purpose in life that would make you a shaman.Work with the spirits to better yourself and to help all beings;then I would call you a Shaman.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:02 pm 

Seeing, sensing and communicating with Spirit is something just about every young child does, we all have an innate ability to sense Spirit just in different ways and levels. What differentiates a Shaman in my view is the ability to descend, at will (not merely with the aid of drugs) into a trance state where the Spirits interact with us to bring change (healing, teaching etc) to those we work with.

'IF' you are being drawn towards a life of service to others by being able to work as the 'hollow bone' which allows Spirit to work through you then perhaps look to learning from a well established and bona-fide shamanic practitioner.

Shamanic practice isn't about self aggrandisement, being cool or better than others, in fact, quite the opposite; it is about service, doing a days work then going to help someone for several hours, putting your own life aside while you listen to someone in distress and basically organising 'your' life around your Spiritual practice. Does this sound like the life you are being urged towards?

Which Spirits have contacted you? Where do they take you? What have they indicated to you?

The use of drugs (entheogens) in shamanic practice around the world is always accompanied by the teaching and support of an experienced elder. Perhaps giving up the drugs for a while until you establish how you can work with the Spirits without it may be beneficial in working out what is happening.

:)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:59 am 

Shamans are no longer tethered to their body.

Living people can only astral project in the "physical" world. Shamans can go to other places entirely.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:00 am 

It can be hard to tell in this day and age if someone is really doing it or just getting high as hell. What really separates a shamanic practitioner or for the matter a witch or occultist from an active drug addict or clinically insane person are results that effect the mind and body positively beyond just an experience. Personally I grew to hate acid flash backs and things of that nature because they were out of my control entirely, which is the opposite of what any of us want. Only now that they have stopped am I truly practicing.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:10 am 

That's exactly it though isn't it? The level of groundedness and control while, at the same time giving up control to access the other worlds.

To be honest, if you are asking this question 'how do I know if I am a Shaman?' then you probably arn't. When you stop needing to ask and the name means nothing then you may just be on the right track.

If there is a normal, usual, physical way of doing something then surely we do that first - be pragmatic, when all else fails, then lets go see what can be done in other realms.

Personally, if I had the choice between putting my trust and my health in the hands of a young person high on drugs with a clear need to see themselves as some sort of big shot OR a sensible, grounded 'normal' person who talks sense and has no need to bull themselves up - the latter shouts to me of integrity. I guess it's about aiming to be like those you most admire, not what you think will make you look and feel cool.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:30 am 

You're describing a hallucination. While visions are part of the practice of shamanism, and strange experiences are indeed a part of one's calling to shamanism, what you are experiencing seems to be the result of your use of drugs. Here is what I would suggest for you, see a doctor and make sure your brain is not seriously damaged. If it is, follow the advice of the doctor and please, stop doing the drugs. If there is nothing wrong, then I would say you should still reduce if not stop the drugs your are doing, because having constant hallucinations as well as a seemingly developing case of delusions of grandeur are not a part of shamanism, I promise you that.

If you are interested in shamanism, stop overusing these drugs and become healthier. A healthy body and mind is important to shamanism. Also, you should never, and this is important, never should you constantly be seeing things that are not material objects. This means that something is wrong, be it the result of drugs or not being enough in the physical realm. Frequent grounding of oneself to their physical reality is important to being able to function as a human being. Only during a shamanic journey should you experience out of body experiences or supernatural experiences. And daytime hallucinations are not a part of shamanism in the slightest.

Also, just for information sake, a Shaman is a practitioner of shamanism who has been working for many years and is in charge of the wellbeing of a group of people within his/her care. In the modern sense this could mean being a shamanic practitioner who is a parent, or in the traditional sense, to be leader of a tribe. Most people you encounter who are shamanic practitioners will not be a Shaman, however everyone's advice is no less important if they are not one.

Please heal yourself and be careful with your recreational uses. I'm not saying this because I'm some hard headed anti-drug radicalist, or because i think they're wrong, but because what I'm reading concerns me about your safety. I have no problem with the use of drugs. I may not know you, but if something I say can help you to understand and can help you to better your state of being, then I'm doing my job as a shamanic practitioner. Blessed be always.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:11 pm 

It's also important to remember that a "shaman" does more than simply observe. Through journeying, the shaman's spirit leaves his or her body and enters the spirit world. Here, the shaman confers with his or her tutelary spirits, ancestors or power animals for some type of advice that is needed. The shaman's spirit then returns to the shaman's body and through that body, the knowledge is communicated to the tribe for its greatest good. This knowledge can be communicated through healing ceremonies, dancing, painting, spoken word...whatever means necessary.

Simply put, the shaman is a bridge between the physical and spiritual world. To function successfully (and avoid harm to themselves and their tribe) a true shaman MUST be fully grunded in BOTH worlds.

In this sense, the "drug" question is a legitimate one.

It should also be noted here that shamans do not "do drugs". Shamans of different peoples often partake of spirit helpers in physical form (amanita, ayahuasca, etc) in order to come into direct contact with the spirit helper. To refer to these items as "drugs" not only demeans them, but also reflects the attitudes and purposes of those who ingest them. One who truly works with, respects, and understands them would never refer to them as "drugs".

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Help