Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Help

Post subject: Helping to Journey
 Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:06 pm 

I am new to shamanism.
I have been lost for most of my life.
When I work in the hot sun and plant trees or take care of my many pets I feel enriched and useful.
I think its a sign.
I would just like some pointers on meditation so I can have my first journey.
I am not looking for instant results I know it takes time and practice.
But I believe this can help me find many answers I need.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:52 am 

I personally do not know much about meditation. I have tried it from time to time, but my mind is to restless. I always seem to want to think and reason out what I am thinking about. Perhaps, for me, this is meditation. As for journeying, I have found the best means for this to be lucid dreaming. This is simply being conscious that you "are" dreaming. You will know you have had a lucid dream, when you wake up feeling more tired than normal.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:24 pm 

Quote:
I am new to shamanism.
I have been lost for most of my life.
When I work in the hot sun and plant trees or take care of my many pets I feel enriched and useful.
I think its a sign.
I would just like some pointers on meditation so I can have my first journey.
I am not looking for instant results I know it takes time and practice.
But I believe this can help me find many answers I need.

Shamanism was originally based in our relationship with the natural world. Most shamanic traditions still have strong roots in the natural world. The best place to start is through your relationship with Nature, and recognizing that you are another creature in the flow.

I recommend getting the book AWAKENING TO THE SPIRITWORLD by Hank Wesselman and Sandra Ingerman as a good place to start. This book will help you find some new ways to connect more deeply with Nature, as well as give some good advice on doing journey work. It comes with a great drumming CD you can use to help you meditate.

The simplest form of meditation I know is to simply use your senses and maintain focus on something for a period of time. You could start by using a single sense, like eye sight, hearing or touch. Keep your attention on what you are experiencing and don't try to do anything else. If you mind wanders, just bring your attention back to that sense. Focused attention is a basic form of meditation.

Journey work to me is a form of meditation, because it requires you to maintain focus on experiencing it. When you journey, you can use your inner senses in that same way as mentioned above. When ever I visit my sacred place in the Spiritworld before I set of into deeper realms, I do a simple practice. I make sure that I touch something in that realm, smell or taste something in that realm and look at something in that realm. This really helps to ground me in being there. I use this as a refocusing technique on occasion if I lose my focus.

Good luck and have fun!

Eagle :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:59 pm 

Yes it is good to meditate. Just close your eyes, slow your thoughts (dialogue) and focuse your attention on the flow of the physical world (smells, sounds, feels). See your surounding environment with your eyes closed. It is important to clense yourself. Do a cleansing ceremony. (I don't know what that is in your tradition. I sing a hymn to the North and to Okeanos, the father of all watters and drink the sacred water). Be carefull. And fair to yourself. Cary a weapon for protection. A spear or sword or something (that is if you don't have allies). Explore. If you haven't done this before you will wonder is this just my imagination? For me the difference between daydreaming and journying is being your etherial body rather than just visualising it. Gradually you will come to understand that there is no such thing as just my imagination. What you see is inescapable. This is the law of Adrastia (the inescapable one) who governs the cosmos with her drumbeat.. at the entrance of the cave of Night, rythmizing the flow of the first born (the first to manifest).
Good spirits to you..

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:30 pm 

This is interesting.
Well when meditating you said to picture your surroundings.
But i have read some sources that say picture an opening into the earth such as a cave.
And where did you read about Adrastia and Okeanos?
I have not heard of this before

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:22 pm 

Well, I rather start from where I'm laying. To shift from the heavy material to the mental-aetherial plain just rise from your body. Shift your awareness from the body to the spirit. Look at your material body laying and drumming. Now look at your etherial body. This is the body of your dreams. I'm naked when I rise. Feels more like me. Look at your aetherial hands and body. Look at your physical body laying and drumming. Is it physical-matterial? :wink:
Self (identity) is beond form. You will learn this as you progress and learn to shapeshift. Self is the primary substance. It is the "other" which is the substance of creation-division of self (the primary dismemberment). Everything you see while journying is soul. Part of the world soul. Which is a mixture of these two (self and other). This is the mental world. The cause of the matterial. For as above so bellow. For 2+2=2*2. But I shouldn't say too much. You will know what I mean.
Now that you are out of your body start dancing to the rythm. Look around. Dance in circles around your laying and drumming "other" (self is what and where you will). Become accustomed to this reality before venturing far off to the caves and such. Gain some confidence first. Learn to move. experiment. What can you do? Are there limits? You will know the limmit's of self when you do something unfair and the spirits turn wild.. try not to piss them off. Learn by journying in the middle world starting with familiar places and such before you venture into the earth and the unknown.
Have you found your daemon eautou? It is important. He was given to you before birth to guide you through your life. You know his voice already because when you don't listen to him things turn nasty. Everything goes on smoothly when you listen and obey his word. He is common sence really.

Since you ask, my knowledge comes from ancient ancestral texts and the spirits. (daemones, gods and ancestors). Hermes has guided me. (I'd be dead without him). Hence my name..in his honor.

Post subject: Re: Helping to Journey
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:48 am 

I also have a problem.My elements are earth and fire,and it's winter here where I live.My elements are "frozen" and I can't Journey.Help please!!!!!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:45 pm 

"The Shaman's Journey" is not used in all traditions. While trance states are used in healing, meditation and communing with the ancestors and the spirits, actual journeying is not always required. My suggestion would be to work on the trance states, see if you can build up to that level, but that's just me.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:20 pm 

while my advise has nothing to do with traditional shamanism, but since you are looking for meditation techniques, to all westerners I would recommend dynamic meditation - see some Osho's methods.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:47 am 

Dear Tumult

Shamanic journeying is VERY different from meditation and approached in a different way. Meditation can sometimes open up a spontaneous visionary journey but in following it and interacting with it, you will leave the practice of meditation and enter the practice of "Shamanic journeying" which requires quite different skills.

Shamanic journeying is an awake dreaming experience in which the brain goes into a slow theta-wave rhythm [alpha-wave rhythms ar emore typical of meditation]. Unlike night-time dreaming, in Shamanic journeying the conscious mind is fully active and has control over the dream [visionary] imagery experience that unfolds e.g. we can ask questions of the archetypal symbolic figures that appear and we can ask for [spirit-guide] help whenever we are stuck or become uncomfortable about events and we are free to leave the experience at any time of our choosing.

Shamanic journeying is NOT the same as "daydreaming", "fantasizing" or "wishful thinking" - we want to keep these mind/desire-driven distractions out of our journeys. In a true Shamanic journey imagery unfolds from our personal unconscious mind and from the "collective unconscious" mind [i.e. spirit world]. We can avoid these "false journeys" and also "victim journeys" by working on our self-awareness, stress-release, defragmentation and "grounding" in the body prior to journeying [see Health and Safety Tips in my leaflet].

I have just updated my beginners' training leaflet for Shamanic Journeying, if you, or anyone else would like me to email you a FREE copy contact me via:
www.sunflower-health.com/forms/enquiry.htm

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:11 pm 

I agree that shamanic journeying is quit distinct from meditation, but like many I first began with meditation. When beginning on my path I found that focusing on the body while sitting or lying still was much more effective for me than the breathing techniques so adherent to most meditation techniques. Simply focusing on the body and uniting all of what is felt into a widespread almost tingling feeling was very important for me personally. using this technique with music and the right intent I was able to meet my guide and begin exploring the lower world. There are many ways to do this, I'm just letting you guys know what I enjoy working with.

and yes, I love dynamic meditation, and I have altered the technique for use in shamanism. as yet I have had some trouble getting into a deeper trance state working with the technique however, and I normally use it for meditation and more fleeting trances and reserve journeying for the technique I described above. There are times when my mood is foul and I have trouble journeying, and in these situations I use dynamic meditation.

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:37 pm 

Hi,
I agree with what others already wrote; shamanic journeying and meditation is not the same. However it can definitely support each other and within Shuem Healing it is exactly these two elements that are combined: with Attention Management you learn to concentrate your energy (and get it out of your mind) and then you have a lot more energy available and shamanic journeying becomes clearer.
If you like, please have a look at www.shuem.eu where there are some free lessons on both subjects.
Kind regards,
Shuem

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Help