Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Help

Post subject: Help Getting Started
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:20 pm 

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the shamanic experience but I'm starting to walk my path (accepting who I am, my gifts, my challenges, purposes, etc) and don't have access to a teacher (where I can meet/talk in a face to face session), and I'm wondering what reading material everyone would recommend?

(I'd like to develop a solid foundation of knowledge to accompany my own gifts/instincts so anything that starts with the basics and work through the complexities would be a great help)

Right now I'd like to really focus on working with earth spirits (especially animals) integrated with the psychic gifts I have.

Any (positive/useful) advice and suggested materials would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

-
D

Post subject: Re: Help Getting Started
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:02 pm 

If you want to get in touch with nature....take a walk! Set you intention on experiencing/learning from nature and see what comes.
Shine!
m

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:20 pm 

I suggest, if you haven't already, you get the book The Way of the Shaman by Michael Harner. It has been an inspiration to me and I call it my book of council. Whenever i'm in trouble or whenever i'm in a tight spot, I look through its pages. It never ceases to amaze me how many things are left to learn even after you've read that text a dozen times. The whole of the text is about the vision-guardian spirit complex and mostly theorizes and teaches you how to practice shamanism through your power animals.

Take the journey to the lower world to find your power animals. That would be your next step if you haven't already found one.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:58 pm 

When I became interested I looked up shamanism and didn't find much. Now there is a lot out there. I highly recommend getting books through the library (many libraries that do not have books will get them from another library through Interlibrary loan).

I read a lot and ended up buying books I enjoyed and want for reference. I just finished Traveling between the Worlds by Hillary S Webb- interviews of nowaday shamans. I liked this one and might buy it.
I have The Reluctant Shaman by Kay Cordell Whitaker to read.

Mircea Eliade has many books on shamanism.

If you want to learn to journey Harner's book is good, but I liked Sandra Ingerman's little book better-very simple and it comes with a CD to journey too. It is called Shamanic Journeying: A Beginner's Guide. Her other books are a good simple read too.

GreenRiverWoman

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:01 pm 

To start, I suggest getting a firm grasp on Animism and how it relates to Shamanic cosmology. There are a wide variety of books that will give you the mechanical foundations of what shaman at the most basic levels do, some of the techniques and a variety of the tools found useful in many cases.

After reading the so called PhD. professionals to get the basic understanding of those mechanics and throw everything else out. Forget it, toss it, ignore it completely. Its useless.

Find your cultural identity, let the spirits flow naturally to and through you, and let them teach you the truth behind the words in books, which stems mostly from imagery, mythology, ideologies, perspectives, and traditions far more than from the techniques described in those books.

The problem with Harner and Elaide is that they seek to oversimplify and unify all Shamanisms into one version with slight variation, and fail to respect the perception that Shamanisms are unique and individual to themselves with only superficial similarities, if that.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Help