Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing

Post subject: wrestling the spirits of disease
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:18 am 

In The Way of the Shaman there are some passages concerning wrestling or basically beating up an entity which is doing some harm. I have to confess that I have not tried this before. Does anyone have any advice in using this technique? I was able to cure myself of the shamanic madness without this technique but I want to try it to heal some pesky problems I have been having such as some sleep issues.

Post subject: Re: wrestling the spirits of disease
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:22 am 

you dont beat-it-up persey, its more akin to wrestling to either steal its power or overpower it so that it'll stop bugging you, hell ive even had the wrestling match turn into a dance before. all i can really tell you on how to do this is to grab two rattles, stand up, shake the rattles and stomp the ground with your feet. this is the best technique i know for shapeshifting.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:13 am 

ShimmerSnake wrote:
you dont beat-it-up persey, its more akin to wrestling to either steal its power or overpower it so that it'll stop bugging you, hell ive even had the wrestling match turn into a dance before.

I disagree that it is about overpowering or stealing power. If you go at it from this perspective, -- well good luck. Maybe a better way to describe would be to say you merge with it, surrender your entire being to the power animal and thus become one with or take on the characteristics of the power animal, through the battle, wrestling match or dance, if it fits.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:43 pm 

soulflower wrote:
ShimmerSnake wrote:
you dont beat-it-up persey, its more akin to wrestling to either steal its power or overpower it so that it'll stop bugging you, hell ive even had the wrestling match turn into a dance before.

I disagree that it is about overpowering or stealing power. If you go at it from this perspective, -- well good luck. Maybe a better way to describe would be to say you merge with it, surrender your entire being to the power animal and thus become one with or take on the characteristics of the power animal, through the battle, wrestling match or dance, if it fits.

its fine if you disagree, but im speaking from my own experiences of doing this not just talking about how i think its done. and from my experiences with working with spirits specificly animals it is more akin to a wrestling. and surrendering yourself to a animal spirit? no thanks...

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:02 pm 

ShimmerSnake wrote:
soulflower wrote:

its fine if you disagree, but im speaking from my own experiences of doing

As am I.

Thanks for your permission, though :roll:

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:10 pm 

Here's a lot more information on working with Power animals:

Quote:
Once one is familiar with their Primary Totem Animals (Power, Theme & Mission), the next step in absorbing the Wisdom & Lessons that they are beside us to teach, is to merge our intent and will with the Totems.
Following are the initial three steps in this phase of the process, crucial links in building the connection between we of the Two Legged, and our Animal Allies.
>>>>

As you feel this splendid Spirit Animal greet you, you kneel now in the water and His/Her head emerges, the intelligent and loving eyes meeting with your own. You touch them lovingly with a gentle hand, and a miraculous thing happens . . . you feel your separate energies combining, swirling together in an intricate and beautiful dance until you are no longer two separate energies/forms, your are ONE.
(Continuing the Visualization.)
Feeling an overwhelming peace and joy, you begin the journey back to your home, and upon entering your dwelling, you approach the nearest mirror and gaze into it. There, in the reflection gazing back at you, you see that your face has altered slightly so that the (insert Totem name) Within is also apparent, His/Her features overlaid over your own. Now you know that you have blended and melded with this Animal Totem, once more offering respect and thanks for their joining with you.
I will begin counting you back from five to one, and on the count of one you will awaken, refreshed and revitalized, in closer connection to that Spirit Ally with whom you have merged during this visualization process.
Five, feeling peace and joy sing in your soul
Four, content in the knowledge that the Animal Totem has merged his/her purpose, wisdom and intent with your own, and you with His/Hers.
Three, thankful for the opportunity to share this Earthwalk with this beautiful Animal Spirit.
Two, feeling your body gradually shift and begin coming to consciousness.
One, completely aware and present in the moment
Awake.

Again, be patient with both yourself and the Animal Totems, for establishing the connection takes both time and dedication, though the experiences and joy that are had along the way,
are richly rewarding and exhilarating

I just pasted some of the article, but the rest is here. Good stuff, worth the read for sure!

http://novazeme.ning.com/profiles/blogs/merging-with-the-animal-totems

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:30 pm 

do people really believe that using visualization is the best way to come into contact with animal spirits.. its visualizing, its not real...

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:09 pm 

For some people, visualizing is the way into dreaming awake. (or journeying)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:11 am 

soulflower wrote:
For some people, visualizing is the way into dreaming awake. (or journeying)

those are tactics used in ritual magick like golden dawn, not in shamanism and other hunter/gatherer cultures. in hunter/gatherer cultures drums, dance, chant, body postures are used to journey.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:18 am 

A warrior uses whatever works

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:05 pm 

soulflower wrote:
A warrior uses whatever works

lol thats all good and fine, but it isnt shamanism and you shouldnt be saying that it is..

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:17 pm 

Shamanism isn't quite so easily defined, Dear. Be careful of trying to cram things into tiny boxes.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:56 pm 

soulflower wrote:
Shamanism isn't quite so easily defined, Dear. Be careful of trying to cram things into tiny boxes.

your not even attempting to argue facts anymore your just hen picking.. im done with your sillyness, go back to conning people out of their money on your lucid dreaming website.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:08 pm 

ShimmerSnake wrote:
soulflower wrote:

your not even attempting to argue facts anymore your just hen picking.. im done with your sillyness, go back to conning people out of their money on your lucid dreaming website.

You're right, I'm not arguing. There's no need. Forums like these are good for presenting alternate POV as well as different perspectives. It's good to be able to listen to all sides without making any one wrong.
Just keep an open mind, it's important.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:43 pm 

This may be helpful information:

Michael Harner defines a power animal as: "a spirit being that not only protects and serves the shaman, but also becomes another identity or alter ego for him." Michael J. Harner (The Way of the Shaman, 1980, 1990; page 43.)

So this is what I mean when I say that we become one with rather than overpower our spirit animal. We want to befriend our power animal, sometimes this does involve fighting, wrestling, even being devoured by him, however, it really depends on the individual and the power animal involved.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing