Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing

Post subject: The use of Trickery in Healing
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:11 pm 

I have come across an interesting debacle with certain aspects of Shamanic Healing: The use of tricks or flashy actions to accentuate the healing process. For example:

A shaman pulls an negative energy out of a person's body, so he hides an ugly stone in his mouth, then pulls the negative energy into the stone, from the person's body. The patient is then presented the stone, and the Shaman says that it is his illness. On one hand, the illness was pulled into the stone, so it is not a lie. But on the other hand, the patient believes this stone to physically be what was within him.

The Pros of this method are that the patient has a physical representation of the illness, and therefore believes it is truly gone (without only relying on faith that the Shaman's healing worked). By doing so the patient makes a spiritual investment in his/her health, which aids him/her in healing.

The Cons are that it borders on lying or deceit.

I personally believe that the illusion of magic is a powerful aid, and have no problem using such techniques, and they have proven extremely useful in certain healing rites, but I have also opted to not use them for others, and in both cases I have produced positive results.

What are your opinions on using such methods to heal others? Do you employ them? Are you against them? Why?

Post subject: Re: The use of Trickery in Healing
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:48 pm 

Could be your intuition at work. You may get a feeling for the more psycho-somatic types of illnesses in which this technique can assist - whereas in other cases the illness may be more somatic than psycho and the body is less likely to be fooled by tricks than is the mind.

Of course, I could be completely off base, but these are my initial feelings upon reading your post.

Also I have no experience doing any healing work, although I'm told I give a mean massage.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:43 pm 

You know, that makes perfect sense. I have never thought about the uses of subtlety for psychosomatic illnesses, as I usually address the cause whether it be physical, mental, emotional or spiritual anyways. But I think you're correct, that perhaps I feel the need to use subtlety for the more somatic illnesses.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:34 pm 

Hi Ezekkiel,

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced shmanism should make sense.

When I really think about it, typical, non-threatening illnesses are easy for anyone to treat.

I don't know enough about chronic illnessess like fibro myalga, colitus, or any of those types of illnessess to offer an opinion. My instincts always go with nutrition though.

I've had some minor but troubling health problems that have all been managed with a simple adjustment in lifestyle. I realize it's not that simple for everyone and I really do need to learn more about chronic illnessess before I speak out of turn.

I guess I'm wondering what Shamanism really is.

I've heard some incredible stories about shamans being able to reach inside a person with their hands and remove an offending tumor or some such thing.

What kind of shamanic work do you do, if you don't mind my asking?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:25 pm 

Unfortunately, chronic but not life threatening illnesses are among the most tricky, for the illness clings to the mind as much as it does to the body, which makes helping the person let go of that illness very much difficult. Other minor illnesses, however, are fairly simple to aid with

As for what work I do, I offer all sorts of services. I don't find myself to be the sort of person who has a list of specialties or specific healing services to offer. I am bit more eclectic in my practice, since I simply listen allow the spirits whom I work with to do their work as needed, each session being individualized to the person in need.

Some of the types of work I have performed include: exorcism (aka. extraction), soul retrieval, psychic surgery, reiki, massage therapy, grief relief, emotional healing, relationship work, psychopomp(the action of releasing a spirit that has been trapped in our plane) and even life counseling.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:05 pm 

I'm really getting a good vibe from you. I wish I could have found you when I so desperately needed you about a year and a half ago.

But fate made me wade through it on my own.

So now I'm stronger, because I'm not dead.

Yay!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:37 pm 

I appreciate the compliment, and a year and a half was a trying time for me as well, so I'd not have been a great help I'm afraid. But it seems that you pulled through your challenges as I did mine, as is what is necessary most often.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing