Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing

Post subject: suggestion
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:52 pm 

The people I have spoken to on this website have (in my view) the best understanding of just about everything which I have come across.

My group of friends in kind of varied, many of them are atheist, so I generally don't tend to show off about my worldviews, although I am proud of them and accept them as having different ideas to me. Although this stuff doesn't come into our conversations much, I've heard this 'power of suggestion' idea come up a lot.
Now do tell me, what is the shamanic view of it?
Sceptics or non-believers so to speak tend to use this idea of saying that channelings or what have you are 'guesses' to try to trick people into believing what they want.
I also read that shamans 'trick' people into thinking that they are healed; what is your view on this idea? I accept that sometimes we make assumptions, but are these any less real that what would be termed 'scientific fact'?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:44 pm 

Very tricky question. Hypnosis use it usually very effective way, and a part of many healing traditions is a suggestion with trance states. Prayers alos can be seen in this category. Even when prayers are told god or whomever, it may also work as a selfsuggestion.

Great deal of things may have effect on person if he lets it influence him. Power of suggestion depends on believing or as in hypnosis there is no psychic defences on.

I've heard that also when teaching basic journeying, it is careful matter what examples you use. If pink elephant is used as a example in a course what kind of poweranimal can be, there will be unusully much vision about pink elephants during course.

All healer categories trick people in many ways. When there is much trust upon healer, he can indeed tell that problem eases or is gone away. And sometimes person believes so well, he is going be fine. Outsider may see, that problem is gone nowhere, but patient believes otherwise until wakes up.

Good wishes for better tomorrow can be seen as suggestions too in healing situation, what words hit the target and go on with that.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:25 pm 

Thankyou;

So are they one and the same, or is there a way of telling suggestion from the general truth of an otherworldly journey?
I understand that shamans have to sometimes influence the way which their patients are thinking, in order to produce the best outcome, but surely the 'suggestion' acts as more of a metaphor?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:32 pm 

ah right... I get it (I think.. mayb) - suggestion is used to get rid of doubt, sort of like saying 'it's going to be all ok, you can do it' to create positive energy.

Now, can imagining something get you closer to something? I've heard this to be true, i.e. on one occasion a man was thinking about his mother who had passed away whilst he was flying on a plane, and when he saw a medium she said that 'your mother speaks to you on planes'; as if when he was thinking about her/imagining it was actually getting him closer to her.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:22 pm 

It may be so. Imagining directs person thoughts to something. Energy moves direction of thought.

I rather just focus on perceiving what is, than doing visualizations or imaging something to happen and lay my faith on that. It may lead into quite unstable behavior.

Are these images true? Is one's perceptions true? The answer is quite much dependant on individual. Every person form their own truth, how they believe and what they believe is their truth.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:34 pm 

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:30 am 

In the work that I do, faith/belief is not a part of healing - in other words, you do not have to believe it will work in order for it to work.

Now, I am not saying that I do not believe in the power of the work. I have seen some miraculous changes occur, and have no doubts about it.

In western medicine, pills and other chemicals work to cure illnesses and various malaise. We don't have to believe in that in order for it to work. We just take the pills.

Sure, if the client believes in the shaman's work, that does help the client insofar that they are more receptive to what the shaman is doing.

Ours is not faith healing - ours is shamanic work. And IMHO, there is a big difference.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:09 am 

The mind controls the body, that's our main work.
What are our journeys other than really awesome dreams.
We're also not really a religion so a working shaman can switch to the ideas of any religion to help his client. When people don't know or understand the shaman work, I just say it's a form of hypnosis.
Shamanism doesn't work with doubt. Part of my work is to break down walls of doubt and inhibitions that stop people from doing things like journey and receive healing.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:21 am 

I have unbeareble situationa with my hamstrings, those have been inflamed about two years. My main income comes from teaching yoga. Hamstrings seems to be now traumatized from too often, too strong repeated impulse of stretching. Counter impulse actually eases the pain (weightlifting for hamsrings), but do not remove tenderness and vulnerabilty for the impulse of strecth.

I tried to do drumming. What happened I actually found repeated words, I started to sing the pain into soggyspot or painstone, like tradionally was done here. I did let my mind observe same time, what was happening. I did not feel the pain like before, but when I moved mind to my hamstrings, nothing had actually changed there. I decided to be aware of the problem and pain, because it still existed. I tried another journey, to find what to do, and answer was just to be soft to go easy with exercises. When teaching astangayoga, it is not simple, because it is almost constant hamstring strech. I do not feel good to teach technique, I am not able to do myself.

Seems I am at the door of change.

But just about topic, my experience this time showed, that not feeling pain at the help of self-suggestion do not necessarily remove the actual problem.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing