Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing

Post subject: Smelling Spirits
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:11 pm 

Hi,

I wanted to know if anyone has ever smelt a spirits presences in their house before? I first started smelling spirits in the early 2000s.

Sincerely,

amethys220

Post subject: Re: Smelling Spirits
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:27 pm 

actually no I haven't. what kinds of smells are they? I'm curious.

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:09 pm 

Hello Amethyst...

The only time I every sensed the presence of a spirit by smell, was when my neighbor died and came to me for help.

Every time I walked into my guest bedroom, I would smell human body odor. I checked the room several times and found no cause for the odor. Then I mentioned it to a neighbor and she suggested I had a ghost and should talk to it. So the next time I entered the room, and smelled the body odor, I assumed there was a spirit related to it in the room, started talking to the spirit. As soon as I did, I got big shivers all over, so I knew energetic contact had been made.

Turned out this spirit was the ghost of my former neighbor who had passed a few months prior, got stuck on the earth plane, and needed help to successfully transition on.

I called spirit guides to take her to the light. They came and took her.

Case happily closed.

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:41 am 

No, not usually smelled , but I have similar story to tell.

One friend told about a ghost he was seen years after years at same place and asked me to try something about the matter.

I went inside old barn, where ghost had been seen often and when I started calling him, I got really good and cold shivers. When I started to call old barn's doors also closed with creaking sound. Yep, contac was made and after that with spirit helpers the ghost was taken care of and never seen again at that place.

I think there is only one time, when I have smelled a spirit. It was horse, which was drawn into my magic carpet. Smelling is quite rare I think. But nice story you had.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:18 am 

Yes, this happens when I am engaged in shamanic work or teaching and Spirits come in, but not all the time: it does seem to be quite rare.

This may be partly because few people think to train this sense in this context. And also we are often surrounded by smells, so would we notice another one? In the context of a course, participants may be wearing scents etc. which might mask subtle other impressions - this is one reason why I don't tend to burn incense or oils. The presence of Spirit is often like the smell of fine incense.

Given the number of smells around us, we are most likely to notice when we are alone somewhere and a smell appears without apparent obvious source, and yes, I have also noticed smells associated with former owners of places I have lived.

Susanna777

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:52 am 

I have smelled spirits while driving my car.

I had a friend his name was David but everyone called him Bimbo. I had a VW beetle and he always talked about one day he would get cleaned up take a bath and clean clothes and we would go for a ride in my little beetle. Before this happened he was murdered. I do not attend funerals or wakes I get to emotional. After every body else left I went to his grave and left lavender flowers at his feet and a beer and a cigarette. I got in my car to leave the cemetary and all of a sudden I could smell him. He always smelled a very strong scent of beer and I had not opened that beer. I sat there and said Hi David ready for that ride I take it so I took off and drove a bunch of back roads and around the mountain until the smell of beer left my car.

I feel that that was my friend his body had had a bath and had brand new clothes put on so he was ready to ride in my little beetle. He was a very sweet person would have given you the shirt off his back even if that was all he had.

Miss him terribly.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:00 pm 

Based on past experience, I associate the presence of certain spirits with certain smells. One morning shortly after my son Justin died, I awoke to a strong smell of pizza. Not just any pizza, but a Pizza Hut Everything Pizza. This was in the early morning, and there was no one else in my rural home at the time. I immediately thought of a road trip from Miami when Justin ordered that particular pizza for lunch and finished only half of it. for the rest of the afternoon, the car was filled with the smell of the leftover pizza. That strong olfactory memory let me know that Justin was near.
About a year later, a couple of days after after my dad died, my sisters and I were going through the house searching for his Kinights of Columbus pin to put on his lapel for the wake. I was in his office, rummaging through drawers, and I suddenly noticed the distinct aroma of his pipe tobacco. I smiled because that smell made me feel close to Dad. Several days later it dawned on me that dad had never smoked in that room, because he and mom had moved there after he gave up smoking, Several times since that incident, I have noticed the smell at times when I felt Dad was nearby and helping me with a situation he would have been interested in. I'm very grateful to have this little signal to help us connect.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:28 am 

Yes. In my experience, spirits often give off smells. Usually they do this so that you can more easily identify who they are. For example, my husband's brother passed away 11 years ago. He gives off a strong smell of burning cedar. I told my husband that he must have been cremated in a cedar box and this is why he gives off this smell - so that he may be easily recognized when he is present. My husband confirmed that he was indeed cremated in a cedar box.

Other spirits, like the one mentioned above with the Pizza Hut smell, will assume the odors of whatever was in their environment just before passing away. I believe this is also a clue that spirits give us to let us know what happened to them or what they want us to know about their death that is important to them.

I talk about this smell phenomenon in my book in greater detail. For more information, go to http://www.arvin.net/linear.htm

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:44 pm 

Sometimes I suddenly smell things and wonder if it's a spirit, but I've never verbalized this to anyone before. A couple weeks ago, I suddenly smelled whisky (yuck) and wondered if it was a relative who had his daily 5 pm shot! Sometimes I smell cigarette smoke when there is no one smoking around me, or a certain odor that was particular to a relative that has passed on. I don't know, but just in case it is, I smile and quietly thank them for visiting me and tell them how much I appreciate and love them.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:36 pm 

I have definitely smelled spirits as has others that I've worked with. I use my sense of 'spirit smell' a lot to determine the nature of the entity. If it smells bad it is bad. If it smells sweet or whatever, it just means its not a malevolent spirit but may be one that needs help or perhaps should not be hanging about. When I smell roses, it is always good!

Debra

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:06 pm 

Yes, I agree about the roses. I sometimes smell roses in my journeys too and I sense that I am in the presence of great compassion.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:48 pm 

Hi,

I loved all of your replies that makes me feel good. I don't know if most of the smells (which were relatives needed my help). I think most of them were still stuck between the earthly and spiritual plane.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:04 am 

Thanks so much for your informative posts. Although I have not smelled spirits per say, I have noticed for many years unusual odors (like musty closets, perfume, tobacco, or food coming from clients while I work on them to release old emotional patterns and emotions that no longer serve them. Now and in the future I will also be able to associate psychic odors with spirits.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:24 pm 

My mother had a distinctive sweet odor, all her life. After her death I smelt it in her room, her clothes, her jewelry--and that is not surprising. However, about a year later, I was using the typewriter, and suddenly, there she was, her odor exuding from the typewriter. Later, again quite suddenly, her odor rose from the pages of a book I was reading. All this happened before I had training in shamanism. Afterwards, I visited her purposefully, and we had conversations that were very rewarding to me, and I think, to her too. I have a great nose, and one of my aunt's used her great nose in the perfume industry, so I do respond fast with my nose, as did my mother. The good nose is inherited; the willingness to smell spirits probably is not.

Windpath

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:30 am 

When I am about to make contact, or when I know I’m in the presence of (whatever name you give to it), I often perceive a certain smell.
Oddly enough, it is the smell of skunk! That deep, earthy, pungent odor.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing