Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Should shamanic healing be free?
Would you pay for shamanic healing? 74%  74%  [ 43 ]
Should it be up to the client to decide how much to pay for shamanic healing? 26%  26%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 58

Post subject: Re: Should shamanic healing be offered free?
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:42 pm 

Although I charge for many of my services, I also treat many people for free or love offering. In the end we still have to pay our bills, so to set a fee is not bad and when we do work for free the client has a reference for the gift they have received . Love,Light and happiness to all.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:03 pm 

I would like to find out from the people that don't charge money for shamanic services, how are you getting along? Is spirit providing and in what form? Is it sufficient for your needs?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:23 pm 

It is spiritual medicine.. The way I see it is like medical doctors, Shamans can either do their services non for profit or for profit. It also depends strongly on the cultural and traditional practices of the Shaman. Some Spirit demand a payment in some form to the Shaman or they will attack both the Shaman and the person they brought healing to, Others require a simple offering were the materials are given or offered... I usually practice on the side of people give me what they feel I deserve for offering the services.. But there are times the spirits and I conflict as they will get on my case saying you should be charging for this.. as it is not a need but a want...

It also depends on how much responsibility and value the Shaman has within their community. Most of us in Shamanism really can not get into other paying jobs because this takes up most of our time, and energy... So I feel it is mandatory to gift the Shaman in some form no matter what.. But, the kind of gift and how large or small really is up to the person they are working with... but also Shamans like any other people like to feel appreciated for the work they do even if it did not have the positive results that they had hoped for, or the journey did not go as expected..

- DNatureofDTrain

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:36 am 

I Am a Shaman (Woman), I have been working for the people on this planet and for Mother Earth for Decades, and YES I do need to be paid... Do you pay for your apartment/house? Is your food for free? is your gas/car for Free??? NOOOOO....We need to pay our way tooooooo. We all live on Monther Earth With a Mans Structured System. Yes we do need to charge to survive on this planet too, JUST like you do need to be paid for the work YOU DO at your job so you can PAY YOUR RENT.. What do you think we don't have to PAY RENT? BECAUSE WE CAN TALK TO SPIRIT AND GREAT MASTERS FROM ABOVE AND GIVE HEALINGS?. (SHAMAN- MEANS: Giving there life whole purpose for helping/ healing, and teaching humans, and Praying that humans will not destroy Mother Earth.)
Yes, We do other jobs to pay the bills for a home, a place to live just like You, SO WE CAN GIVE OUR SERVICES FOR FREE TO PEOPLE THAT ARE IN GREAT NEED.. But yes we STILL HAVE TO PAY THE RENT. SO YES I DO NEED TO CHARGE.
So Many Blessing to you for Understanding
ThunderBeat
Awakening from ThunderBeat.com

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:29 pm 

Well, I've tried giving my services for free because that was my initial belief, that this is a gift to be "shared". However, I find that, in this society (USA) many folks don't seem to take seriously something that is given for free. We seem to think that "you get what you pay for" and for some reason a "price tag" on something makes it "worthwhile". I find that when my past clients have gotten my services for fee, they didn't "invest" themselves in it and therefore it was a waste of the gift. I do a sliding scale and of course "barter" is always an option.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:11 pm 

In a healing, there is an exchange from the shaman to the patient.

There is an old saying, you can't get something for nothing.
or
That which is given has no value.

A number of very valid reasons for this have been brought up, even here; my time is worth something, the patient does most of the work and its relative to how much they value my efforts, etc...

So, it seems necessary to me, then, that there be some sort of exchange from the patient to the practitioner. It doesn't necessarily have to be money or even something of fiscal value. A trade in service, a replacement of time or energy, a commodities exchange... I think we can all see how members of tribes would have repaid the shaman's time with the necessary elements, clothes, tools, food... his services prevented him from doing.

So, to my way of thinking, the exchange is necessary to promote and complete the exchange.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:56 am 

Working as a shaman (shamanic practitioner ) requires much dedication, training, knowledge and expertise, I have trained for more years than a medical doctor, and if you can effect a cure that years of therapy, or conventional medicine can not, then surely there can be no price on this.
In order to live in the west and work as a shaman one needs to be paid, else one has to have a day job and be a part time shaman.

however when i work in south america in the amazon jungle as a shaman if the village bring me children who are sick, I dont charge them, or a father with a liver abcess, i treat them for free, the nearest doctor being 10 hours away, and there in the forest there it is easier, thanking spirit, and i am gifted by fruits, embroideries and the love of that village and the ones beyond. If you are not a shaman how can you understand the complexities of a soul retrieval, and if one had done several of these, you would never even post such a question.
I have been paid in jars of home made jam, fence panels etc, sometimes been paid four times my fee, but if one doesnt charge and I have done this, the client seems not to try so hard to get well, somehow not to take the time so seriously.
Healing especially shamanic healing is hard to quantify, how one heals, what happens in that sacred space, I know that before some healings I prepare for days, you then hold that persons prayers in your heart forever, especially if you lead ceremonies like a sweatlodge, so an exchange is honourable.
blessings and thanks

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:26 pm 

I apprenticed to Yachak shamans in Equador. they worked on an 'exchange' basis, meaning they charged. Having said that, they didn't turn anybody away who couldn't pay and the fees ranged from an egg to dollars... I think flexibility is a better idea than strict rules.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:04 pm 

I'd like to throw another question into this discussion. How many of you have been to workshops or retreats with a shaman teaching and not had to pay? I've never found free teachings from shamans, indigenous or other wise. Some charge dearly, and some ask enough to pay expenses and a little more for their time. If our teachers charge us, why shouldn't we charge clients?

I agree that flexibility and a pay scale are reasonable ideas.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:58 pm 

I think many of us get confused when we think that money is not spiritual. Money is a symbol of energy - energy shared, energy given, energy received. Money is just a physical manifestation of spiritual energy. Of course it is ok to charge for Shamanic or any other spiritual work.

Many services are treated as worthwhile only if we exchange energy (money or goods) for them. Shamanic services can be very valuable, life enhancing, healing and spiritually uplifting.

I think we need to heal our concept of money and recognize that any service we provide is worthy of payment.

Of course, if we choose to offer a Shamanic service or any other service for free, that is our choice. It would be better to do it out of a sense of love, though, and not from a sense of guilt due to thinking we don't deserve to be paid.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:20 pm 

This has been an ethical question and quesiton of integrity for many years. As a licensed psychotherapist also, this question is not quite the same. However, i do see people for very reduced fees in certain circumstances such as loss of job, income, crisis situation, etc. Sometimes, people come to my circles for just a donation which may be nothing at all.
But, realisitcally, I do not live in the Amazon or in Tuva or in Tibet somewhere where i might have my needs met in kind by the community. I am an urban shaman who has rent to pay and bills to pay. I find that if clients want to honor the work, they often do want to pay a fee rather than give me a chicken or some fruits as they might in another setting. At times, too, I may barter with people for a shamanic journey and i may receive a massage, or an essential oils treatment, or a computer tune up,etc.---something the person can offer me instead of money in exchange for a particular thing like a journey.
Nancy Dakota Adlman, LCSW
bjaydakota@aol.com
shamanismhealing.net

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:01 am 

A while ago people brought us goats, chickens, fish, firewood and anything else we needed or wanted to complete the exchange of giving for our services. Now they give us pieces of paper with dead guys painted on them.

You can offer it for free but you leave the person you worked with in an energy debt. I've worked with people that had nothing to give. I also explained the energy debt and told them to give what they could, when they could.
Energy balances itself out. They are still in debt if they give you a Happy Meal for an exorcism.
I value time and energy over the money for Shamanic services. A woman gave m a quilt for one reading. I gave her two more after that then said we were even.

Bottom line there has to be an exchange suitable for both parties.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:53 pm 

I work for a shamanic centre in Cusco, Peru and we work with approximately 50 shamans from the Andes and the Amazon. Part of what we do is to promote traditional healing so that these traditions do not die out, especially amongst the local population, which is becoming an unfortunate reality. For our healers to be able to continue to heal they need to be paid to be able to support their families, pay for their transport and be able to assimilate into an ever-changing culture that will otherwise leave them behind.

I do not believe that it is reasonable in any culture to assume that services will be given for free, especially those for which people have devoted many years of their lives to be able to perform. It is important to understand that shamans wherever they live and whatever their origin are not only shamans but mothers and fathers, neighbours, friends, siblings, children and need to be able to provide for themselves and their families in the same way as everybody else. They have been blessed with a gift that should be shared but not taken advantage of.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:59 pm 

Being a current Reiki Master and Munay-ki Mentor, and being new to Shamanism, I feel that if the healing is for the benefit of the client, that any payment should be based on their ability to pay. Even if it is only $.10.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:36 pm 

My teacher, Beaver Chief, traditional Lummi Shaman, taught me that money is called 'currency' for a reason. It is a current, just as sound, color and movement are currents. It needs to flow.
He also told me, every elder/shaman has a house full of blankets and tobacco, and can't pay their rent! He said that all things must be in balance, and that there needs to be an equal exchange of energy for the client to receive the full benefit of the work that is done for them. In other words, if the Medicine Person heals one of a cold, you might give them tobacco and $20. If they heal you of cancer, you might give them your tipi, your first born son, your 10 best horses, and all your cash!
I tell my clients that, "If I were to charge an hourly rate, it would be $xxx. I work by donation, so you give me what you feel your healing is worth." People seldom disappoint me. They treasure what they receive, as much as I treasure being able to offer it to them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing