Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing

Post subject: Shamanic Bodywork
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:34 am 

I am interested to hear of the experiences of others of shamanic bodywork, whether as a practitioner or as a recipient.

Post subject: Re: Shamanic Bodywork
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:40 pm 

Wow. I'm surpised that no one has responded to you yet. I do bodywork from a Taoist Shamanistic background. (Yes, Taoism is Shamanism). The purpose is to make each part of the body conscious so that conscious energy is not trapped in the head only.

When a person emerges from this work, he or she perceives the world around him very differently - more connected, alive and more balanced. His conscious energy is more decentralized and more continuously connected to the consciousness of the earth.

This is called "Tai-chi Massage" and has evolved from the "push hands" exercise of Tai-chi. Push Hands is (or rather used to be) a Shamanistic practice. Nowadays Tai-chi is almost never practiced this way as the Chinese government has prohibited it.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:55 pm 

ive never heard it called that before, but i do work specificly with developing "being" through various means.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:23 am 

@bobklein I appreciate the taoist / shamanic connection and some of the energy I channel in my work has a taoist / Chinese feel to it.
How is push hands shamanic? I am very interested to know. I did enjoy it when I did a bit of Tai Chi back in the 1980s! I would also like to know more about the bodywork you do if you feel like elaborating. Details of what I do are on my site - http://www.shaman.net.nz.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:40 am 

The push hands exercise teaches you to be aware of the state of consciousness of each joint and muscle in your partner and within yourself at each moment. As you fluidly move to get into a good position to push your partner off balance, you are trying to gain more control of his body consciousness than he is. In this way you can control how he moves.

Both of you are doing this at the same time. Your eyes are closed. So you must develop the "inner senses" such as chi and the dynamics of attention. Chi is the biological connection of all living things. When you develop the sense of chi, you are aware of your connection to the world of life around you.

By developing your awareness of body consciousness ("Body-mind"), you become aware that the world around you is filled with biological consciousness and you can learn to function within that world. Push hands gives you all the principles and training.

As for Tai-chi Massage, this stimulates that consciousness within the patient's body, allowing his or her body to become consciousness at a fine level. As body consciousness grows in strength in comparison to thinking consciousness, you attain a better balance. Thinking consciousness can no longer supress body consciousness.

The goal is to balance all forms of consciousness and to become connected to the conscious energy in the world around you, ending that type of blindness.

My blog www.movementsofmagic.com/blog has a lot more information about this, with over 100 articles. It would be too much to write about all this in this Shaman Portal response. My books, Movements of Magic, Movements of Power and the adventure novel, The Doubting Snake, provide all the details of training.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing