Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing

Post subject: Healing Sexual Abuse
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:32 am 

A lot of us have tried to help folks who have suffered serious and often long term sexual abuse often at the hands of those who should have been trusted and caring caretakers. In my experience this is one of the more difficult maladies to cure. Most of us utilize soul retreival techniques supported by sometimes a whole array of other tools with more or less positive healing results.

I wanted to open this thread for anyone who has worked in this area to share their positive and/or negative results from utilizing shamanic techniques to heal the after effects of abuse so that we can learn together. Thanks, Dennis

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:53 pm 

I have worked a lot with folks having histories of sexual abuse. For one thing, it is not a malady. The place I work from is seeing the person not as someone with a malady, but as someone who has had sexual abuse in their history.

Betsy Bergstrom's work with depossession and unraveling the cording htat takes place with these traumas is a good starting place to understand effective interventions.

If you remember that sexual abuse is about power and control, then you can see where the treatment and interventions need to originate.

Good luck,
Blessings,
Karen

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:30 pm 

Kare: Hi! Thanks for your reply. I work with male juvenile sex offenders many of whom were themselves seriously abused so I'm always scratching around looking for new things on this topic. Dennis

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:40 pm 

Hi Dennis.

You may be interested in Betsy Bergstrom's work. It sounds like a lot of your clients might benefit from her work. Also, she is an excellent trainer.

Sexual predatory behavior is a difficult area of intervention, but it is possible to see positive results. One suggestion is to go "beyond" the client and look at what energies have corded to, or attempted to assume control over, your clients. Start unravelling that and then look at what the client is missing (soul retrieval?).

Good luck and blessings.
Karen

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:43 pm 

Hi! If you're a member there is also an interesting paper on depossession work by the Montreal group on the Society of Shamanic Practicioners website. It sounds pretty much like the method Harner teaches. Dennis

http://www.shamansociety.org/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:39 pm 

Hi Bearsky. Yes I am a member. Thanks for the heads up on the article.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:19 am 

Hi.
In regard to sexual abuse victims.
In the shamanic view, their power was taken from them and thier energy body was polluted. The shaman need first to perform Limpiar (energy and body cleansing). To remove bad energy, create protection shield and bring back balance for the client. Then you want to start a series of empowerment treatments to help the client gain control of their lives. that can be done with the Core shamanism journeys and work with spirit guides. Always start a session with cleansing.

It's a long process, but after a few months, you can actually see a huge difference.
Remember those people are off balance and we need to reconnect them back to their core power. I have helped number of people to get back to "normal life" this way.

With love

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:07 pm 

Hi eagle1

The energetics of sexual abuse are complex and there is much to consider in treating each person. There are many responses that a healing practitioner may consider with sexual abuse cases. The important thing is to refrain from clustering every client into one set of workable processes. Each person is unique and different.

I do believe one thing that we can do consistently for our clients across the board is to see them in their divinity, as whole and complete beings.

On a side note, you mentioned in another post that you were interested in learning more about soul retrieval. Sandra Ingerman has written an excellent book by that title. You might want to read it. If you want ore information, there are teachers out there teaching it. Go to www.shamanicteachers.com.

Good luck, and blessings

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:55 pm 

Karen Furr wrote:
I do believe one thing that we can do consistently for our clients across the board is to see them in their divinity, as whole and complete beings.

I agree.

Another thing that I find useful is to gently assess what payback, if any, the person has from maintaining an identity as a "victim scarred for life" - because if that person has been so badly wounded that's been their lifelong way of operating, of defining themselves in and to the world, they may need help on a soul-level to accept their power returning and the responsibility that comes with it.

An example may be someone who uses their abuse to justify anti-social acts, which is understandable, but not helpful once treatment has begun...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:44 pm 

I am a new member here and am enjoying the posts.
I can speak from personal experience on this topic. I found soul retreival for me was very helpful in bringing me back to wholeness and balance. But first I learned to journey back to the time of the abuse and change the outcome. My abuser was my step father and in my journey Wolf backed him up into a corner while I escaped the abuse on the back of Bear. A very powerful journey!
I did other journies to other times in my childhood, but this one had the most powerful effect on me. I believe because for once, the abuser was powerless and scared and I was in control! YES!!!
Then afterwards I had the soul retreival done for me.
Blessings, Small Elk

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:00 pm 

Smallelk,

What a wonderful journey. I really like the idea of journeying back to the event and changing the outcome. Excellent way to retrieve your power!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:44 pm 

Thanks Kriket
It was the most powerful healing I received. That includes 10 years of therapy etc. My healing really didn't start until I started studying first Reiki and then different Shaman techniques like this one.
Blessings, Small Elk

Post subject: Re: Healing Sexual Abuse
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:01 pm 

i am a victim myself and trying to heal.. if anyone is looking for someone to practice on i am here lol

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:14 am 

My book Gift of the Dreamtime is about how I healed my linger depression after a childhood of sexual assault. I find the comments that have already been made highly relevant to working with survivors, but to any healing that is needed for anyone. We have to work on many levels, healing at an etheric level as well as spiritual. In cases of familial abuse, there many be ancestral lines that require healing. There may be healing required on other manifestations of the self. As widely as we can hold our scope of healing, that is where it has to go.

As a result of my experience, I work a lot with adult survivors of child sexual assault in my practice. The key thing is that there must be a willingness to be healed and participate in that healing. This is the part where, as someone mentioned already, power has gone from this person, and until some very elemental and core facets of that power are returned, the will to participate in ongoing healing may be tricky.

I am very honored to find such interest in this topic, and I am grateful that so many are working with survivors and those who have acted out harm in this way. This approach to healing doesn't just heal people, it heals the reason that it happens to start with.

Dream well.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:41 pm 

I do not actually work in the field of sexual abuse, but aswers given here seems to correlate with any traumawork. In my experience trauma must be faced and lived again so it is possible to be conquerd. And as given already it may take many, many years for a person to find such strenght and readiness to face the situation again and win.

I do agree with idea in general, that healing cannot be forced. There can be a push, effort, support for the person, but in the end it's all about willingness, readiness, acceptance of the patient, which let's the healing manifest in himself.

There is one test, where patients had back pain symptoms. This group was divided into two groups. The first received different kinds of healing methods and the other none. Back pain got better in both groups after few weeks, no matter if they received any treatment or not...

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing