Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing

Post subject: Healing Rituals
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:26 pm 

Can anybody give me an example of a complete healing ritual? I've been trying to access guides to healing rituals, particularly from Michael Harner's book The Way of the Shaman. This search has been to no avail. Can someone with more experience show me in layman's terms how an entire healing is executed from start to finish. I know that in the beginning one could use smudging to cleanse a patient and that the shamanic journey is done at some point in the ritual. But what else is done to fill in the blanks? Prayers? Chanting?

Can someone give me a few pointers as to how one does this. I'm speaking from the point of view of traditional Mexican curanderismo and the limpia technique associated with it. From this tradition, I know that one can use a raw egg rubbed on a person's body to do a cleansing. But what else can a person do to elongate the ritual. Thanks in advance.

Yours in the struggle,
--Teopiltzin

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:44 am 

interesting that you would mention the egg... there are words, blessings, chants that go along with the egg cleansing. Have you been taught this?

and there are many types of cleansing rituals, depending on what you are trying to cleanse, remove or purify.

so there isn't any "One Size Fits All" approach

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:32 pm 

Thought provokin question anyway. Ways are many. For a healing with longer scale, one may first set up the place by forming a circle. It is to keep harmful spirits off and work on a spot where to invite healing spirits. The circle may be purified and strenghtened by fire, smoke, water for an example. Also shaman should cleanse himself of all negativity as well the client.

After drawing protective, safe circle one may call out for his helping spirits to come and help. Same time one may also tell about situation, make a plea for the help, pray for their help. Offerings may be given this time, when client's wishes are presented.

After that one could start the work with client, which way ever shaman feels appropriate or is most familiar with.

If healing results in success formal thanks to spirits, who helped. Seal any holes, if seen during healing on patient...

Substances used is best to be asked directedly about your helping spirits, which kind of things they like most - or if they wish for any. If your helping spirit is old god, there may also be proper information in tradition, how things were done. I tried to describe somehow healing rituals in common, order of things, substances, words and tone used of course varies a lot. Key point, how to be succesful with a ritual, is not in lenght. Spirits teach, listen them.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:03 pm 

Rachara El: the way I learned the prayers are from Catholic Curanderismo. It goes as follows, something like: Holy father, holy Jesus, bless this child of god in the name of the father Jesus. Cleanse him from head to toe, from the top of the head to the bottom of his feet. My father, saint father. In the name of the man Jesus.

Jusma: At the point in which one begins to work with the client, what does one do. Work with the client seems very obscure to me. In my short experience, i've seen that a client gets really bored when the shaman goes into non-ordinary reality to do work. How else can someone work with a client without going on the shamanic journey.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:11 am 

teopiltzin wrote:
...I've seen that a client gets really bored when the shaman goes into non-ordinary reality to do work...

if I may make comment...
I can honestly say I have NEVER had a bored client! They are as much a part of the healing process as I am; in fact, all I am is the conduit for the healing - THEY are the "worker" and have visions and sensations. Sometimes it is gentle and calming; but more often times it's quite vivid and surprising.

Even though I am the one on journey, they also "see" or feel what is happening, not to the same extent I do, and not what I experience, but the experience is usually quite profound to the client.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:05 pm 

What I do in my healing ceremony is as follows. First I light a votive candle to San Simon and make the client give him an offering of tobacco, liquor, and tortillas. Next, I smudge them with sage to get rid of negative vibrations. Following this, I invoke the four directions with a rattle and rattle over all those attending then over the client him or herself.

I then get a bundle of leaves and stroke them over the person's aura in order to dissipate any negative energies or imbalances that linger over the person's body. I hold liquor in my mouth and blow it over the person's naked back and front. I then seek out San Simon in the middle world while in a light trance in order to see if he has arrived or not. I use this time to see my power animal beside me. If i'm doing everything correctly, the spirit of the Wolf licks me and caresses me. If not, he growls. I then invoke Chalchiutotolin, an aztec god, in order for the spirit to watch over the person in the future.

Then I place the client in a circle made with twelve quartz crystals then I move a double-terminated quartz crystal in and around the client's body and manipulate their energy with this crystal in order to make the person whole again. While the client is in this circle, I whistle my power song and use my rattle and double pointed quartz as my client lays there.

And then I blow tobacco smoke from my cigar all over the patients body. I then rub the ashes of the smoldering sage onto the person's body. I then rub the patient with Catholic holy water and make a cross on his forehead with the water and the ash. I then apply holy olive oil on the patient's neck and wherever there is a spirit intrusion. If the spirit intrusion is particularly nasty, I have San Simon suck it out over the patient's clothes. I then do it in ordinary reality.

Now i'm ready to begin my journey into the underworld. I have my shamanic partner drum for me as I retrieve a power animal. Then as I make my way back with the power animal I visit the middle world version of the healing scenario that I'm currently engaged in. There I lead San Simon's spirit in doing an extraction on the patient and watch him drink, eat, and smoke of his offering. I see all my helping spirits crouched over the patient sending healing energy into his or her etheric body.

Once I rejoin the power animal to the patient by blowing it into their chest and their head, I do a guided visualization with the patient, guiding them down through a tunnel into the underworld so that they could meet their power animal up close. I then ask the client to stand for a last pass of sage smoke and tobacco smoke, and then we're done. Then comes the donation giveaway if they have the means with which to pay. If not, then I only charge them for the sage and the candle, which adds up to seven bucks.

I do the same basic ritual for long distance healing through journeying into the middle world and visiting a client there.

Is this similar to what you all do?

Yours in the struggle,
--Teopiltzin

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:46 am 

Me neither have bored clients. I do not follow any ritual form. Maybe very first attempts of shamanic healing were like that. When I was unsure and tought if a procedure is right, all will be well. Then I maybe feared a little, if I fail with procedure.

I do not actually do rituals anymore. But usually I work as massagetherapist anyway. With shamanic healing, if I feel I want to sing bad emotions out off client, I do that. If I feel, I should just listen and let client talk her misery out, I do that. If I feel, my workingspace needs cleansing or spirit call, I do that. I follow my intuition.

I do not follow procedure, I try to find out what is needed and what is necessary and try to avoid doing something else, which is not even needed - it is just waisting time... for my liking. Many things can be also done before client comes, if a long ritual is needed.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:49 pm 

I also consider myself only the conduit and catalyst for the clients own healing process. Every time is like an initiation, because I do not know what tools will be used for the situation. I surrender with trust. I begin with prayers for their benefit and ask for signs & signals for how to proceed. I listen to my spiritual guidance and use my inner senses for the final say in what will be taking place. I have many varied modalities that might be used, or perhaps simply prayer and focused intention. Sometimes the spirits counsel a fancy ritual, or tasks for the client to perform on their own time.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:05 pm 

Do you have an example of what a "fancy ritual" would look like. I ask this because different shamans have different procedures, regardless of whether they only use their intuition or not. A shaman needs to do ritual. Plain and simple. Whether small or big. Once your inner guidance has helped, what procedures do you perform in your shamanic healing. What's needed and what's necessary, usually? I'm talking in general here. What do you people generally do with a client that for example has experienced spirit loss.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:01 pm 

For my work's evolution right now I just surrender to spirit's counsel. I-my ego- does not really know what is best or needed for a person to find healing. I surrender to this spiritual force and allow it to work through me as a "hollow bone". It varies each time with each person what is called for. I trust the spirits to know what is best. I do not do this blindly, but from experience w/ them know they are wise and wondrous. I do not have formulas for anything, including soul loss. Sometimes a person with soul loss requires first extraction of energy, or even just prayer before soul retrieval can take place. Oftentimes the spirits will give the person homework to follow before we can begin the retrieval process. This deepens their commitment and connection to creating health for themselves.
I was taught first by the spirits as a child and young person, then studied formally with human teachers as an adult for more than a decade. Now I have come full circle back to my own ways of following the wyrd-the tao, the force, etc. Though I have learned Harner-method soul retrieval, and Usui-Tibetan reiki hand positions, etc. I do not stick to these unless it is called for by spirit.

I am thinking about what you said about filling in the blanks. The blanks for me these days are potent moments to be honored within the healing session. I used to fear them but now honor them because it is like a pregnant pause! The blanks can take you deeper into the spirit world to where the magick happens.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:15 am 

If I have a procedure, It is like OOnaOwl so nicely put it, surrendering into spiritual force and let the healing come through. I do not actually understand that question about filling blanks. What blanks? I do not have any. I just follow the quidance and that is the end of it. When spiritual lead ends, that is the end of session. I follow and do not start to fill any blanks. To me that sounds nonsence.

When a session starts and when it ends, the period between is not filled with anything. Everything, that is needed just comes. When session starts, sometimes my root chakra opens and I start to swet, when I become contacted with earth and it's innate fire.
If somebody is giving me shamanic healing and is not lead by the spirit all the time and then he starts to do something irrelevant, I would also get bored and maybe walk away. Why waste time on something which is not needed? I have received quite a many times shamnic healing, and only once I needed to wonder, what the guy is doing? But luckily he get on track very soon.

If anytime I become distracted and drop from the lead, I immediatly try to jump back on track. So, there is no blanks, where to wonder what to do next, whether it is singing a song or rubbing an egg.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:17 pm 

I am not sure what exactly is meant by the question "how do I fill in the blanks?" either. I thought what was meant is when you are working and sometimes there are moments between what you were doing and what will come next. I think maybe they are wanting to know technically & physically how to perform a healing ritual- like a recipe or something. Like: Step A, B, C. etc. Perhaps Teopiltzin can elaborate for us.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:52 pm 

What I mean by filling in the blanks is: what do you do in between the beginning and end of a healing. My basic question is still: what do you physically do during a healing. Or better yet, to make it much easier: give an example of a long healing you've already done, in detail.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:56 pm 

teopiltzin wrote:
What I mean by filling in the blanks is: what do you do in between the beginning and end of a healing. My basic question is still: what do you physically do during a healing. Or better yet, to make it much easier: give an example of a long healing you've already done, in detail.

Why do you need to know?

There are many teachers and workshops out there, perhaps you may be better to learn from a teacher hands-on.

The techniques of healing ceremonies vary from culture to culture.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:18 am 

I can give you an example of my favorite model of a healing ritual:

The bushmen and the movement of maria lionza have a healing ritual which is similar in its components while being different in paridgm(cuz after all, they come from different cultures and work with different spirits).

So basically it starts off when the drummers(maria lionza) or female singers(busmen) start to do thier job. Than the healers\shaman begin to dance\move untill they they go into trance. Then they proceed to reach kia conscience(bushmen) or become possesed(maria lionza). Now they are ready to move around the people and heal, advise, and journey. When they finished treating all that are in need of healing, they go out of kia\banish the spirit, and the ritual is over.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing