Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing

Post subject: Healing Addiction
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:53 pm 

Has anyone else here ever struggled with addiction? How has shamanism helped or healed you?

After years of unsuccessfully searching for a higher power that I truly connected with to help relieve me of my addiction, a friend recently offered to do a ceremony for me. Though she is not a Shaman, and the ceremony was not even focused on my addiction, I met a spiritual being of light which showed me the ways I had been loved my whole life by, in addition to the obvious human family, the tree in my front yard, a woodpecker that landed on my shoulder when I was a child, and many animals and plants that I had not realized were my friends. As I was leaving this spiritual place in my mind I became a child again. I grew up as I was walking towards my body, but without dragging all the pain, disappointment or failures of my past along with me as I had before. I returned, or became conscious again of my physical body, and experienced three weeks of absolute freedom, from my addiction. I was happy in a deep way that I don't think I have ever been, even in childhood.

Post subject: Re: Healing Addiction
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:39 pm 

One of the very first aspects of my life which changed when I started to study shamanism was my addiction to smoking. One day, after years and years of trying to quit, I asked for help. I just stood there in our yard at work, it was snowing as I recall, I looked up and asked for some way which worked.

That night, I smoked my last cigarette and with nothing else, no patches, no will power, no gum, no nothing, I simply didn't need or want another cigarette.

I know, there were no fancy ceremonies or rituals but the 'prayer' was still just as intense and profound. Something changed inside me and I don't know what it was but it worked.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:51 am 

Thank-you for these inspiring stories of your personal journeys, Ironweed25 and Forect Child, I am sure they will inspire others!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:33 pm 

in my preteen years. When I was entering into the "dark night of the soul" Period the visionary shamans called it.. I fell into severe depression, was addicted to self harming in various way.. I am not gonna list those ways as I witness people thinking those actions are what lead to me gifts and abilities, and that is not true at all. The Spirits stepped in and guided me out of it. I was told to apologize to the spirits I had abused during this time.. Ask them to help me offer them a way of partnership to prevent re abuse.. .. what I witness is most who abuse chemical substances, alcohol, or plant helpers open their doors to posession.. So I learned exorcism rites even was given the Catholic Exorcism blessings in secret without recognition from the church.. Found myself baptized by spirit by an anonymous preacher, found myself given blessings and taught randomly by so many at once.. it was mind blowing.. My path is Heinzism so I knew it was spirit teaching me what I needed to know to move out of the dark night into the light transition.

The biggest different for me was my personal dedication to spirit where I promised to never hurt or abuse myself again deliberately.. asked to guide picked up my music made my own personal ceremony, and gave myself a tatoo over a scar on the first place I used to pick at before going into the abuse so I could never forget this promise...

Then any time I felt like abusing or going back to that I would pray and cry hard... or worship and dance...

This transformed my life in a way I never imagined.. Not only my own but rippled amongst the community in a way I never imagined...

It was around this time even a professional therapist told me off the record that I was a psychic and possible a Shaman, as the hands of fait put me into the hands of a therapist who was former stupid of anthropology who really understand what I was going through...

all my life I have helped people deal with these kinds of things.. but in the end it is up to the individual if they want to allow their demons of addiction to remain with them or cast them out.. and for some when they finally decide to give it up.. it is to late and they pass on so suddenly they leave their entire family and community broken..

Don't be that person be the one who seeks help immediately.. :)
Spirits of Shamanism and many religions saved my life. IF they did not step it I believe I would have died at age 13.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:02 am 

Forgive me if I am blunt here. Shamanic healing absolutely can help with addictions, but I know of very few individuals who returned to casual use of intoxicants. I have heard opinions that are contrary to this, but I trust my experience and what the spirits have told me. I will only offer a warning to anyone working with drug addicts, no matter how much progress the person has made suggesting that an addiction is 100% cured is very dangerous. I have seen people die or almost die in this way.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:04 am 

It sure can and you are right to be careful.. also if it does involved spirit work Shaman or not as you try to help them, you have to be fully aware of the possession, soul loss issues, the reasons they turned to drugs in the first place.. etc.. it is always good to partner with other professionals if you can I find healing from this issue takes a good strong support group of friends, family, and professionals.. as well as a goal and keeping busy with something else in life that is not related to it they can do... The biggest thing is the person has to want to stop... or want the help.. - DNatureofDTrain

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:57 am 

yes I agree. A similar problem has been occurring in my own life as my brother despite the use of many treatment methods has not stopped because he simply is not ready. This can be very difficult to accept.

I don't usually go blathering about this but because this forum is geared towards learning I will. I am also a drug addict and I did have a similar experience as that of DNatureofDTrain. I can tell you that I do use the twelve steps and other forms of support as well as magical and shamanic techniques. I sometimes wonder if I would have reached the level of ecstatic experience that I have without these problems in my past, it was essentially my shamanic madness. It was only after approaching psychosis that I reached my bottom and quit. I hallucinated everyday during my first year of recovery.

One point I will make is that during the first few months after quitting alcohol or drugs most addicts will have a very hard time accessing the spiritual realms. It may depend on the substance and the individual. This is why the second and third steps are based on a decision to reach for a higher power rather than actually experiencing a higher level of realization. A real change in consciousness typically comes a few months later (or during the sixth, seventh, and eleventh steps). I'm working with someone who is having a great deal of trouble with this concept and I may try to intervene with shamanic techniques. I generally won't impose shamanic healing on people unless they want it. So yes this is a complex issue and in no way do I feel I am cured; I am of the opinion that this condition cannot be cured only placed into remission.

Once in while I see mention of psychedelic drugs used to treat addiction and I do not agree with this technique. In the west the vast majority of users of hallucinogens are not using them properly, that would include myself in the past, and to use them is the same as using speed, booze, or heroin. Unable to accept this I did relapse on psilocybin a few years ago prior to meeting my spirit guide and all that. This is one of the reasons I am so critical of people such as Timothy Leary who felt hallucinogens could be used as a medicine on their own without ritual or cultural framework. I have never known anyone who was healed this way.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:42 am 

the word cure is way over rated anyone who is cured will still have the temptations of their past to deal with. But the longer your resist them and more energy you put into something better.. the weaker those become.. This will not stop mental emotional triggers that bring back urges,, those you just have to say I am remembering this because I saw this.. but I choose not to return to that I prefer doing this instead because it is more fun.. or healthy etc.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing